Hey there, I always look forward to the videos that are done for the Emacs conferences each year. I was wondering, is anyone doing a presentation on using Org Mode for day-to-day work and personal work? I often use Emacs for my daily work as a technical support engineer, and write notes with source code blocks of different commands I've ran in the background since I often have to ssh into client based CentOS machines to troubleshoot some issues regarding the application I help support. I'm just an Emacs hobbyist at heart, but have a pretty tweaked out config as well. The main thing I wanted to highlight is how to utilize a todo list for work, and life based tasks, as well as org capture templates. The only other thing is that I could maybe make a work-based todo list but would have to create some fake ticket data due to it being work related, etc. Please let me know if that would be relevant as a video topic. Thanks, Sam On Thu, Aug 5, 2021, at 11:45 AM, Amin Bandali wrote: > ___________________ > > EmacsConf 2021 > Online Conference > ___________________ > > > November 27 and 28, 2021 > > > Table of Contents > _________________ > > 1. Important dates > 2. Talk formats > 3. Office hours > 4. Submitting your proposal > 5. Getting involved > 6. Commitment to freedom > > > [EmacsConf 2021] will be a virtual conference on *November 27 and 28, > 2021 (Sat-Sun)*. If you'd like to present at the conference, please > [submit your proposal] by *September 30, 2021*. > > EmacsConf 2021 is about the joy of [Emacs] and Emacs Lisp. Come share > your experiments and adventures with the Emacs text editor / operating > system / way of life! We welcome speakers of *all backgrounds* and > *all levels of experience*, including newcomers giving their first > talk. What have you found exciting about Emacs lately? What do you > wish someone had told you when you were starting out? What part of > your workflow might inspire someone to get into Emacs or go deeper? > > A great way to get started with writing a proposal is to start by > exploring the programs from previous years: [2020], [2019], [2015], > [2013]. You might also find some neat ideas on the [ideas] page. > Feel free to add yours there too! If you're still not sure, come by > our IRC channel `#emacsconf' on `irc.libera.chat' and say hi. You can > join the chat using [your favourite IRC client], or by visiting > [chat.emacsconf.org] in your web browser. > > All kinds of people use Emacs for all kinds of things. We'd love it > if EmacsConf 2021 could highlight interesting perspectives and reflect > the diversity of our community. If you know someone who might have a > good idea for a talk, please reach out to them and encourage them to > submit a proposal. Many people (especially from underrepresented > groups such as women, people of colour, non-developers, etc.) might > not consider themselves expert enough to share their thoughts. If you > let them know that you value their knowledge and maybe even suggest > something that you think others would like to hear more about, they > may realize that they have something worth sharing and that we would > love to hear from them. > > > [EmacsConf 2021] > [submit your proposal] > [Emacs] > [2020] > [2019] > [2015] > [2013] > [ideas] > [your favourite IRC client] > [chat.emacsconf.org] > > > 1 Important dates > ================= > > For EmacsConf 2021, we are planning for 9am to 5pm Toronto/EST > (2pm-10pm UTC) on November 27 and 28. Depending on people's > availability, it might be two half-days. > > CFP opens August 5, 2021 > CFP closes September 30, 2021 > Speaker notifications October 15, 2021 > Schedule published October 31, 2021 > EmacsConf 2021! November 27 and 28, 2021 > > If you are not available during the conference itself but you have a > neat idea that you'd like to share, please propose it anyway! You > can always handle questions after the conference, and we might even > be able to coordinate with other Emacs meetups for regional events > (if you're an Emacs meetup organizer and would like to make this > happen let's [get in touch]!). > > Please note that although we will try our best to stick to the above > dates in the coming months, given the current state of the world, we > may have to move things around a bit in case of unforeseen events. > Thank you for your patience and understanding. > > > [get in touch] > > > 2 Talk formats > ============== > > We'd like EmacsConf 2021 to inspire lots of different people to > explore lots of different things in Emacs. We hope to put together > a stream of quick ideas followed by lots of conversation over IRC > and/or Q&A sessions, with occasional deep dives into topics that > many people might find interesting or useful. > > As you think about your talk, consider what you can share in: > > - *Up to 10 minutes total:* What is the core idea? What do you want > people to do or remember? You can show just enough to get people > interested and then point them to where they can learn more > afterwards. You can answer questions over IRC, the pad, or the > wiki, and there's no limit to how long that conversation can go. > > - *Up to 20 minutes total:* How would you flesh out some of the > points from your 5-10 minute presentation? How can you show the > pieces working together? > > - *Up to 40 minutes total:* What would benefit from a deep dive? > How do you keep it engaging? > > When writing your proposal, please write an outline of what you plan > to talk about if you have 5-10 minutes. If you'd like to propose a > longer talk, outline what you might include if you had more time to > present (up to 40 minutes, including Q&A). > > Here's an example for a potentially 40-minute talk: > > - 5-10 minutes: quick demo of the abc package working together with > xyz package. > - 20 minutes: same as above, with some customization options to > accommodate a different workflow. > - 40 minutes: all of the above, including modifying the behaviour of > the package in order to add something new. > > This flexibility would help us in devising the conference schedule > so that as many people as possible could get a chance to present > their ideas, while still allowing for featuring longer deep dive > talks. > > Other session formats such as tutorials, workshops, and hangouts are > welcome as well, in case you would find those other formats > preferable to a traditional talk format. If you're interested in > these or other session types, please let us know [publicly] or > [privately]. We'll be happy to work something out with you. > > > [publicly] > > [privately] > > > > 3 Office hours > ============== > > We're aware that it can be intimidating to submit a proposal to a > conference, so we thought we'd try to help! This year, we're > opening up the doors of our virtual offices for you to come talk to > us about your proposals with hopes of helping you with any hurdles > you may be facing with preparing your proposal. > > We'd like to publish a schedule of availabilities of volunteers for > holding office hours. Currently these volunteers consist of some of > the EmacsConf organizers, but we'd love to have the help of other > members of the Emacs community as well. If you are a more > experienced Emacs user and would like to help with this, please [get > in touch]! > > Our first office hour this year is planned for Saturday, August 14, > from 3pm to 4pm UTC with zaeph (Leo Vivier) at the following > BigBlueButton room: . > > > [get in touch] > > > 4 Submitting your proposal > ========================== > > Once you're ready to submit your proposal, the [submit] page has the > instructions on how to submit your talk. > > We use an anonymized submission process to reduce bias and encourage > contribution. Identifying information will be removed from > submissions by a conference organizer who will not participate in > talk selection. The anonymized submissions will then be reviewed by > a selection committee. > > If your talk is approved, we'd love it if you could help us make > sure the conference runs smoothly. After we email you with the time > allotted for your talk, we'll ask you to > > - prepare a prerecording of your talk, or record it with our help if > that'd be easier for you; and > - schedule a short tech-check if you'd like to be able to answer > questions in a live session. > > Don't forget to subscribe to our main mailing list, > [emacsconf-discuss], for discussion and announcements about the > EmacsConf conference. > > We look forward to your ideas and submissions! > > > [submit] > > [emacsconf-discuss] > > > > 5 Getting involved > ================== > > If you would like to help with the conference (planning the > sessions, reviewing proposals, helping with infrastructure, making > sessions more accessible, editing video transcripts, etc.), see our > [planning] page and come say hi to us at `#emacsconf' on > `irc.libera.chat'. > > In addition to the [emacsconf-discuss] list, feel free to subscribe > to [emacsconf-org] as well, for discussions related to organizing > the conference by the EmacsConf organizers and volunteers. > > We'd really appreciate your help in making EmacsConf 2021 the best > one so far! > > > [planning] > > [emacsconf-discuss] > > > [emacsconf-org] > > > 6 Commitment to freedom > ======================= > > We remain fully committed to freedom, and we will continue using our > infrastructure and streaming setup consisting entirely of [free > software], much like previous EmacsConf conferences. An article > describing our infrastructure and tools is underway, and will be > announced on the emacsconf-discuss list when published. > > > [free software] > > > > > *Attachments:* > * emacsconf-2021-cfp.org