* see subtrees in agenda
@ 2008-04-20 21:42 Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2008-04-20 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to show sub-headings in an agenda file for exporting
purposes? I looked through the manual and couldn't find such a thing.

--
Daniel Goldin
626-795-9526

* Re: see subtrees in agenda
@ 2008-04-21  6:11 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-21  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Goldin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Can you please be more specific with your request?

An example, maybe?

- Carsten

On Apr 20, 2008, at 11:42 PM, Daniel Goldin wrote:

> Is there a way to show sub-headings in an agenda file for exporting
> purposes? I looked through the manual and couldn't find such a thing.
>
> --
> Daniel Goldin
> 626-795-9526 _______________________________________________

* Re: see subtrees in agenda
@ 2008-04-21  6:27   ` Jeff Mickey
From: Jeff Mickey @ 2008-04-21  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:11 AM, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Can you please be more specific with your request?
>
>  An example, maybe?
>
>  - Carsten

I think he means something like the following:

** TODO This amazing event
     DEADLINE: <2008-04-21 Mon>
*** TODO First part of the event
*** TODO Second part of the event

And then in agenda instead of seeing just:
This amazing event

You'd see the subtree as well:
This amazing event
    First part of the event
    Second part of the event

Or something like that.  I'm not sure how this would be implemented,
but it certainly would be really neat.

    //  jeff
--
. : [ + carpe diem totus tuus + ] : .

* Re: see subtrees in agenda
@ 2008-04-21 18:12     ` Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2008-04-21 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Mickey; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

That is exactly what I meant. Thanks for the example and the translation.

d.

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Jeff Mickey <jeff@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:11 AM, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
> wrote:
> > Can you please be more specific with your request?
> >
> >  An example, maybe?
> >
> >  - Carsten
>
> I think he means something like the following:
>
> ** TODO This amazing event
>     DEADLINE: <2008-04-21 Mon>
> *** TODO First part of the event
> *** TODO Second part of the event
>
> And then in agenda instead of seeing just:
> This amazing event
>
> You'd see the subtree as well:
> This amazing event
>    First part of the event
>    Second part of the event
>
> Or something like that.  I'm not sure how this would be implemented,
> but it certainly would be really neat.
>
>    //  jeff
> --
> . : [ + carpe diem totus tuus + ] : .

Daniel Goldin
626-795-9526

* Re: see subtrees in agenda
@ 2008-04-22  6:27       ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-04-22  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Goldin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  Carsten> > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:11 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
  Carsten> > > Can you please be more specific with your request?
  Carsten> > >  An example, maybe?

  Jeff> > I think he means something like the following:
  Jeff> >
  Jeff> > ** TODO This amazing event
  Jeff> >     DEADLINE: <2008-04-21 Mon>
  Jeff> > *** TODO First part of the event
  Jeff> > *** TODO Second part of the event
  Jeff> >
  Jeff> > And then in agenda instead of seeing just:
  Jeff> > This amazing event
  Jeff> >
  Jeff> > You'd see the subtree as well:
  Jeff> > This amazing event
  Jeff> >    First part of the event
  Jeff> >    Second part of the event

  Daniel> > That is exactly what I meant. Thanks for the example and
the translation.

  Please check out `f' (org-agenda-follow-mode) and `b'
(org-agenda-tree-to-indirect-buffer) in agenda view.  May be they
would suffice?

-- Manish

* Re: see subtrees in agenda
@ 2008-04-22 15:18         ` Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2008-04-22 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Manish,

Not quite. Although these are very useful enhancements while I'm at the
computer, I was looking for something that I could publish -- so I could
carry around a hard copy showing contextual levels.

For example

* Let Jimmy know about annual picnic
** NEXT Write letter to Jimmy                               @COMPUTER
** NEXT Send it                                                    @ERRAND

If when I look for all todo items matching NEXT, I'll see:

** Write letter
** Send it

Which when I publish doesn't tell me enough. Of course I could become more
verbose in my sub-level captions, but it would be better to see relevant
headlines and relevant sub-headlines.

d.

--
Daniel Goldin
626-795-9526

* Re: see subtrees in agenda
@ 2008-04-22 16:46           ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-04-22 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Goldin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Daniel Goldin wrote:
  > Dear Manish,
  >
  > Not quite. Although these are very useful enhancements while I'm at the
  > computer, I was looking for something that I could publish -- so I could
  > carry around a hard copy showing contextual levels.
  >
  > For example
  >
  > * Let Jimmy know about annual picnic
  > ** NEXT Write letter to Jimmy                               @COMPUTER
  > ** NEXT Send it                                                    @ERRAND
  >
  > If when I look for all todo items matching NEXT, I'll see:
  >
  > ** Write letter
  > ** Send it
  >
  > Which when I publish doesn't tell me enough. Of course I could become more
  > verbose in my sub-level captions, but it would be better to see relevant
  > headlines and relevant sub-headlines.

  I see what you are saying.  That has been a minor annoyance for me
as well.  I have been trying to deal with this by being, like you
suggested, more verbose.  But I wonder if agenda should show items
that are not scheduled/meant for the day.  To test the idea I decided
to write up a small test plan and see what we would want the final
agenda to look like.

  ,----
            :@CALL:
                   :@CALL:
                          :@CALL:
                         :@CALL:
                         :@CALL:
  |       DEADLINE: <2008-04-23 Wed>
  `----

How would you like the agenda to show up on, say, the 24th?

-- Manish

* Re: see subtrees in agenda
@ 2008-04-23 15:07             ` Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2008-04-23 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)