From: TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Turning off all indentation in 9.4.4
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 15:31:39 -0500	[thread overview]

On 2021-02-04 12:45, Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:
> Raoul Comninos <revrari@mweb.co.za> writes:
>
>> I noticed a change in org since I updated to the latest version when
>> it
>> comes to automatic indentation. I prefer to turn this off globally,
>> including for lists. I have tinkered with various settings but have
>> had
>> no luck so far.
>
> ORG-NEWS provides these hints:
>
>> To get the previous behaviour back, disable ~electric-indent-mode~
>> explicitly:
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda () (electric-indent-local-mode -1)))
>> #+end_src
>>
>> Alternatively, if you wish to keep =RET= as the "smart-return" key,
>> but dislike Org's default indentation of sections, you may prefer to
>> customize ~org-adapt-indentation~ to either =nil= or ='headline-data=.
>
> Normally I would recommend customizing org-adapt-indentation over
> disabing electric-indent-local-mode, but if you'd rather move back to
> column 0 when hitting RET in a list, the hook is probably the way to
> go.

I have been struggling with this as well.  After reading this email, I
gave it another try.

Unfortunately, unless I am doing something wrong, none of these options
seem to really restore the previous behavior.  I have set
~org-adapt-indentation~ to ~'headline-data~, and now pressing RET goes
to column 0.  However, unfortunately, TAB now no longer jumps to the
indentation level of the previous block (for example, so I can insert a
code block or other block structure into a plain list at the correct
level).

I am finding all of this /extremely/ annoying, and if I am being honest,
quite obnoxious behavior, which is the last thing I usually expect from
Emacs.

Cheers,
TRS-80