* Can Org warn me if I create a time conflict?
@ 2019-12-17 22:05 David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2019-12-17 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

It's currently possible for me to create two meeting times, one from 8:00-10:00 tomorrow and the other from 9:00-11:00 tomorrow.

When both are mentioned in the same sentence, as above, it's easy to recognize that the two meetings are probably incompatible. But org-mode allows agenda items to be created at different times and in different files; it's possible to create Meeting #1 far in advance, have enough time to forget that Meeting #1 exists, and then create Meeting #2 covering the same period of time. (Compare this with the wall calendar made of paper, where if I try to add Meeting #2 I'll be forced to write it in the same physical space, and therefore automatically be alerted before making the error.)

Is there any method to get org-mode to alert me (by an error message, or a red mark in the agenda, or whatever) that I've created a conflict - specifically, a method that doesn't involve me having to remember to perform any type of conflict-checking myself? If I could remember to do things like conflict checks, I wouldn't really need org-agenda anyway. :-)

I realize that it's likely some situations *do* require timed events to happen concurrently - but I don't believe that they're the usual case for an individual. Having an "ignore conflict" or "accept anyway" type of option would make sense to me for such situations.

--
Thanks
David

* Re: Can Org warn me if I create a time conflict?
@ 2019-12-18  6:20 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-12-18  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogers; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tuesday, 17 Dec 2019 at 14:05, David Rogers wrote:
> Is there any method to get org-mode to alert me (by an error message,
> or a red mark in the agenda, or whatever) that I've created a conflict

None that I know of.  I've trained myself to only create meetings from
the agenda view for this reason.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.3-34-g2eee3c

* Re: Can Org warn me if I create a time conflict?
@ 2019-12-18  8:02 ` Allen Li
From: Allen Li @ 2019-12-18  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogers; +Cc: Org Mode

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 7:06 AM David Rogers
<davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's currently possible for me to create two meeting times, one from 8:00-10:00 tomorrow and the other from 9:00-11:00 tomorrow.
>
> When both are mentioned in the same sentence, as above, it's easy to recognize that the two meetings are probably incompatible. But org-mode allows agenda items to be created at different times and in different files; it's possible to create Meeting #1 far in advance, have enough time to forget that Meeting #1 exists, and then create Meeting #2 covering the same period of time. (Compare this with the wall calendar made of paper, where if I try to add Meeting #2 I'll be forced to write it in the same physical space, and therefore automatically be alerted before making the error.)
>
> Is there any method to get org-mode to alert me (by an error message, or a red mark in the agenda, or whatever) that I've created a conflict - specifically, a method that doesn't involve me having to remember to perform any type of conflict-checking myself? If I could remember to do things like conflict checks, I wouldn't really need org-agenda anyway. :-)
>
> I realize that it's likely some situations *do* require timed events to happen concurrently - but I don't believe that they're the usual case for an individual. Having an "ignore conflict" or "accept anyway" type of option would make sense to me for such situations.

Does org-clock-consistency-checks support your needs?
https://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-commands.html

@ 2019-12-18 16:38   ` Mikhail Skorzhinskiy
From: Mikhail Skorzhinskiy @ 2019-12-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen Li, David Rogers; +Cc: Org Mode

I think there is a package exactly for this:

https://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg123154.html

I'm happily using this since summer with latest org. Although in case you want to extend  scheduling function (ie check it automatically) you  need to write write some code around.

I can send you my customizations on  top of that package, but at the end of  the week, im in vacation currently.

--
  Mikhail Skorzhinskiy
  mskorzhinskiy@eml.cc

@ 2019-12-19  6:10     ` David R
From: David R @ 2019-12-19  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019, Mikhail Skorzhinskiy <mskorzhinskiy@eml.cc>
wrote:
> I think there is a package exactly for this:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg123154.html
>
> I'm happily using this since summer with latest org. Although in case you
want to extend  scheduling function (ie check it automatically) you  need
to write write some code around.

> I can send you my customizations on  top of that package, but at the end
of  the week, im in vacation currently.

> --
>   Mikhail Skorzhinskiy
>   mskorzhinskiy@eml.cc

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but the description sounds like
what I want. I'll try it for sure. Thanks!

David Rogers

* Re: Can Org warn me if I create a time conflict?
@ 2019-12-19  8:23     ` David R
From: David R @ 2019-12-19  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list