* a wide column problem
@ 2020-02-01  0:09 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-02-01  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For a table with a wide column can org-mode use a width on the column as
well as word wrap?
The work column is too wide in stafflog.org:

| arrived            | staff           | work                                                                        | left               |
|--------------------+-----------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------|
| [2020-01-28 09:08] | Daedon and Doug | watch Doug laundry dishes trash removal containers recovery                 | [2020-01-28 13:08] |
| [2020-01-29 20:30] | umuaru          | brought food                                                                | [2020-01-29 20:45] |
| [2020-01-30 13:00] | alex            | fixed drains brought lunch and black bags and put light cover on over stove | [2020-01-30 14:00] |
|                    |                 |                                                                             |                    |

* Re: a wide column problem
@ 2020-02-01  8:55 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-01  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jude,

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> For a table with a wide column can org-mode use a width on the column as
> well as word wrap?

What did you try?  Can you show how it should look like?

--
 Bastien

* Re: a wide column problem
@ 2020-02-01 10:38   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-02-01 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I only wrote text in a column and haven't tried anything for that column
yet.  I searched through info org and came close to stuff that looked
like it might work but only came close according to the documentation.
I've never done anything like this with org-mode before so figured it
might be a good idea to ask here first.

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020, Bastien wrote:

> Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 03:55:38
> From: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
> To: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>
> Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: a wide column problem
>
> Hi Jude,
>
> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:
>
> > For a table with a wide column can org-mode use a width on the column as
> > well as word wrap?
>
> What did you try?  Can you show how it should look like?

* re: a wide column problem
@ 2020-02-01 11:33 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-02-01 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I think the best that's now possible with orgmode is something like the
following.  I'll just need to be careful entering text into the work
column since the users of this table haven't even got emacs on their
computers let alone orgmode.

#+STARTUP align
| arrived                | staff           | work                                      | left                   |
|------------------------+-----------------+-------------------------------------------+------------------------|
|                        |                 | <40>                                      |                        |
| [2020-01-28 Tue 09:08] | Daedon and Doug | watch Doug laundry dishes                 | [2020-01-28 Tue 13:08] |
|                        |                 | trash removal containers recovery         |                        |
| [2020-01-29 Wed 20:30] | umuaru          | brought food                              | [2020-01-29 Wed 20:45] |
| [2020-01-30 Thu 13:00] | alex            | fixed drains brought lunch and black bags | [2020-01-30 Thu 14:00] |
|                        |                 | put light cover on over stove             |                        |
|                        |                 |                                           |                        |

* Re: a wide column problem
@ 2020-02-01 13:14 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-01 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> I think the best that's now possible with orgmode is something like the
> following.

You can use M-RET in the cell to wrap the line - but when exporting,
each line will be exported independantly, so this is limited.

--
 Bastien