From: Guillaume MULLER <guillaume.muller@univ-st-etienne.fr>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
Cc: Org Mode List <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: org-meta-return / org-insert-heading does not insert new heading in middle of heading even id org-M-RET-may-split-line is set
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 15:52:46 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi again,

> I am using Vanilla Emacs.
> Note that Doom is known for carelessly advising some Org functions and
> can sometimes break things. Such issues should be reported to Doom
> developers.

Thanks for your help & pointers.

Yes I agree, the problem must come from Doom's config (the commit version it uses seems 24k+ commits behind your HEAD!!). I reported the problem directly to them:
https://github.com/doomemacs/doomemacs/issues/6544

I did some more tests within Doom's config (see the issue for details) but couldn't find the proper way to get it running the latest org release (9.5.4).

Fortunately, I ended up with a working config.

I'm not sure what did the trick, but if someone is looking for a solution, it's probably a mix of:
- disabling org in Doom's init.el and/or
- manually pulling & compiling the versions in ~/.emacs.d/.local/straight/{repos,build-27.1}/org  and/or
- changing the :pin setup in ~/.emacs.d/modules/lang/org/packages.el to point to the latest commit.

FWIW, "list-packages" only shows the 9.3 builtin version of org, so my current working 9.5.4 org version seems to actually be loaded from the code previously installed by Doom and manually (re)compiled by me, even if org is disabled in init.el ...

This will probably break at next Doom sync/upgrade, but since it works, I won't touch it anymore :)

> What do you mean by "breaks too many other things in org"?

When calling some functions (e.g. org-meta-return or org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c in a code block or hitting C-x C-c to quit Emacs) I got errors like "function xxx is void" or "wrong arguments listp, xxx".

Have a nice day

Guillaume