* Bug?? #+begin_src sh :file
@ 2017-09-16 13:09 Charles Millar
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Millar @ 2017-09-16 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

The following ECL is based on Grant Rettke's Org Scraps -
https://eschulte.github.io/org-scraps/scraps/2011-02-15-recutils.html

#+begin_src sh :file this.txt

cat << EOF > this.txt

1
2
3

EOF

#+end_src

When I execute the code block the file "this.txt" is created and so is a
link, i.e.

#+RESULTS:
_file:this.txt

_However, the file is empty. According to the documentation for :file I
expected the following in "this.txt"

1
2
3

I tried :exports results but this.txt is still empty

A bug? Or what am I missing?

Charlie Millar
__

* Re: Bug?? #+begin_src sh :file
@ 2017-09-16 13:46 ` Thierry Banel
From: Thierry Banel @ 2017-09-16 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I get the expected result without the redirection:

#+begin_src sh :file this.txt
cat << EOF
1
2
3
EOF
#+end_src

On 16/09/2017 15:09, Charles Millar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The following ECL is based on Grant Rettke's Org Scraps -
> https://eschulte.github.io/org-scraps/scraps/2011-02-15-recutils.html
>
> #+begin_src sh :file this.txt
>
> cat << EOF > this.txt
>
> 1
> 2
> 3
>
> EOF
>
> #+end_src
>
> When I execute the code block the file "this.txt" is created and so is
> a link, i.e.
>
> #+RESULTS:
> _file:this.txt
>
> _However, the file is empty. According to the documentation for :file
> I expected the following in "this.txt"
>
> 1
> 2
> 3
>
> I tried :exports results but this.txt is still empty
>
> A bug? Or what am I missing?
>
> Charlie Millar

* Re: Bug?? #+begin_src sh :file
@ 2017-09-16 16:59 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-09-16 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Millar writes:
> A bug? Or what am I missing?

You are creating a file that Org is supposed to fill with the output
from your script.  Your script doesn't produce output, but instead
writes to the same file.  When the script returns, Org dutifully
truncates the file to nothing.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Bug?? #+begin_src sh :file
@ 2017-09-16 18:55 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2017-09-16 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Millar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> wrote:
> The following ECL is based on Grant Rettke's Org Scraps -

Correction: They are Eric Schulte's (https://www.cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/)

* Re: Bug?? #+begin_src sh :file
@ 2017-09-17  0:28   ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2017-09-17  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 09/16/17 14:55, Grant Rettke wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> wrote:
>> The following ECL is based on Grant Rettke's Org Scraps -
> Correction: They are Eric Schulte's (https://www.cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/)

Thanks to Thierry and Achim for the correction and explanation and to
Grant for the link.

Charlie