* Org-remember interim file save before filing?
@ 2008-07-30  6:42 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-07-30  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I think I already know the answer to this question.  Unfortunately.

I have an org-remember template for my operating system notes.  I diligently
started up org-remember today, saved a list of important packages to update,
and rebooted.  But...  I forgot to file the note in it's assigned heading in
my SystemJournal.org file!

So, my question is, assuming I have auto saving configured, where would that
buffer be saved, if at  all?  And if it isn't, currently, is there a way to
arrange for this to be done?  Live and learn,

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man

* Re: Org-remember interim file save before filing?
@ 2008-07-30 13:56 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-07-30 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:

> I think I already know the answer to this question.  Unfortunately.
>
> I have an org-remember template for my operating system notes.  I diligently
> started up org-remember today, saved a list of important packages to update,
> and rebooted.  But...  I forgot to file the note in it's assigned heading in
> my SystemJournal.org file!

Unfortunately I think your data is gone in that case :(  I just tried
that (on purpose) and can't find the data anywhere.

> So, my question is, assuming I have auto saving configured, where would that
> buffer be saved, if at  all?  And if it isn't, currently, is there a way to
> arrange for this to be done?  Live and learn,

I take a slightly different approach with the latest set of changes by
Carsten.  My remember templates use the %!%& escapes to file in the
target location immediately and jump there - so I'm working in the org
file and not a remember buffer which has no file store.

Here's a sample template for reference:

(setq (org-remember-templates (quote (("todo" 116 "* TODO %!%&%?
  %u
  %a" "~/git/org/todo.org" "Tasks")))))

This way I can use the Emacs session recovery to restore the data.

HTH
-Bernt

* Re: Org-remember interim file save before filing?
@ 2008-07-30 14:53 Gabriel Peters
From: Gabriel Peters @ 2008-07-30 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I think I already know the answer to this question.  Unfortunately.
>
> I have an org-remember template for my operating system notes.  I
diligently started up org-remember today, saved a list of important packages
to update, and > > rebooted.  But...  I forgot to file the note in it's
assigned heading in my SystemJournal.org file!

> So, my question is, assuming I have auto saving configured, where would
that buffer be saved, if at  all?  And if it isn't, currently, is there a
way to arrange for this > to be done?  Live and learn,

> Alan

Hi,

I did have the same problem and found this discussion in the archives:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/5228/focus=5228

Maybe this does work for you too?

Gabriel

* Re: Org-remember interim file save before filing?
@ 2008-07-30 17:13   ` Cezar Halmagean
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-07-30 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> I take a slightly different approach with the latest set of changes by
> Carsten.  My remember templates use the %!%& escapes to file in the
> target location immediately and jump there - so I'm working in the org
> file and not a remember buffer which has no file store.

Thank you for the hint, this (%!%) works so well for my current setup.

Cezar