On Mon, Oct 07, 2024 at 08:42:24PM +0000, Kepa wrote: > Hi, Ihor > > Sorry I don't know how mail lists work, so sometimes my answers don't go to the correct place. This seems to work fine :) > The cause was this line: > (setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8) > But I don't know why, and I would like to know. > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2024-09/msg00313.html OK. Asking Emacs, it tells us about the variable `locale-coding-system': locale-coding-system is a variable defined in ‘C source code’. Its value is ‘utf-8-unix’ Coding system to use with system messages. Potentially also used for decoding keyboard input on X Windows, and is used for encoding standard output and error streams. Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 21.1. Now my questions to you: - this \341 thing happens directly when you enter á? - you are using X on some operating system (e.g. Gnu/Linux, some BSD)? - if yes: go to a terminal (XTerm), type in "locale" and tell us what the output is. My guess is that your X (if you have one) is set up to trade in an unibyte encoding (most probably iso-8859-1 aka Latin-1) and you told Emacs to expect utf-8 (the iso-8859-1 encoding for "á" is one byte represented in octal as 341 and an illegal byte in an UTF-8 stream: Emacs is smart enough to have a way to keep those internally, and that is how it shows them). But alas, my guesses aren't always right :) Cheers -- t