On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 09:42:01AM +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote: [...] > That is the first time I remember that on this list, questions of the > foundation of mathematics are discussed 😉 Such things happen :) > Back to the point, maybe I am too conservative, but I would include 0 > within the natural numbers, If you really were, you wouldn't. Peano himself didn't ;-) > and the example I started with, needs to > cover that case (student marks range between 0 to 10 both included), so > sorting should work (for me) in that case. See? I went to school in Spain, so I know about that 0..10 scale. But then I went to school in Germany, so I also know about the 6..1 scale. Go figure :) > I don't see, so far any benefit for not considering 0 in that sorting > process. But your concrete problem isn't a sorting process at all, just a conversion process: empty space gets translated to zero. As someone else found out in this thread. Cheers -- t