On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 07:10:27AM +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote: [...] > That really su... (My use case only concerned numbers from 0-10). > > So it boils down to the question: why isn't 0 considered as natural numbers, as, according to the Peano axioms, it is? I don't know whether you're serious or making fun (Poe's Law and all that), but actually, Peano's axioms couldn't care less: as far as they are concerned, natural numbers could well start at 23 or something. Actually it seems to be some kind of "cultural question" whether mathematicians start counting at 0 or at 1; my observation is that they tend to agree across one faculty at one university. I know positively one that tends to count from 1 (HU Berlin), another that counts from 0 (Freiburg), both in Germany. Something for mathematical ethnologists (do those exist?) to mull over. I once asked a maths prof and he said foundational folks (set theorists, math logicians -- that's the typical environment where you'd tend to stumble upon Peano) tend to favour starting at 0. Historically, Peano himself seems to have been a one-counter: "Peano's original formulation of the axioms used 1 instead of 0 as the "first" natural number,[6] while the axioms in Formulario mathematico include zero." as quoted in [1]. Cheers [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_axioms -- t