On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 12:51:31AM -0500, Tom Gillespie wrote: > Without wading too far into this at the moment, > timezones are an extremely tricky problem with > a whole bunch of design considerations. I am > reproducing the heading comment from laundry's > timestamp.rkt in its entirety here. Best! > Tom > > https://github.com/tgbugs/laundry/blob/master/laundry/grammar/timestamp.rkt [...] > ; are two cases, one where the location is clear, "napoleon on [1812-01-01]" > ; and the other where it is not, the issue is that a single date refers Where location also includes time, sometimes (think DSTs). IMO, a timezone is nice for added context, but meaningless without a concrete offset wrt some agreed upon base (UTC, here on Earth, for example). Unless you use clearly different shorthands (e.g. CST for Central Standard Time [1] and CDT for Central Daylight Time). The nice cherry on top of that is that this context info is sometimes relevant and sometimes not. A regular appointment ("brush teeth") may want to be seen relative to the current time zone (so it "moves" when I travel from Berlin to New York), another ("Jitsi meeting with my colleagues in Delhi, Dar-Es-Salam and Denpasar") might not. I warmly recommend the Wikipedia page [2] on that topic. An interesting problem :) Cheers [1] Eh. Nevermind that it also can mean Cuba Standard Time or China Standard Time. [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone -- t