* Bug: TexInfo export fails when there is a headline with value "top" [9.4.5 (release_9.4.5-287-gb33fac @ /home/rameshnedunchezian/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2021-04-19 10:36 Ramesh Nedunchezian
From: Ramesh Nedunchezian @ 2021-04-19 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

When I export the following snippet, I get an error. See attachments
for details.

    * Commands in library ~helm-sys~

    ** top
       :PROPERTIES:
       :END:

    - ~helm-top~ ::

      #+findex: helm-top

      #+kindex: C-x c t

      Preconfigured ~helm~ for top command.

[-- Attachment #2: "*Org INFO Texinfo Output*".txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 366 bytes --]

test.texi:4: warning: @settitle missing argument
test.texi:11: warning: @title missing argument
test.texi:42: @node `top' previously defined
test.texi:18: here is the previous definition as @node
test.texi:39: warning: @menu entry node name `top' different from node name `Top'
test.texi:30: warning: @detailmenu entry node name `top' different from node name `Top'

[-- Attachment #3: test.texi --]
[-- Type: text/x-texinfo, Size: 828 bytes --]

\input texinfo    @c -*- texinfo -*-
@c %**start of header
@setfilename test.info
@settitle
@documentencoding UTF-8
@documentlanguage en
@c %**end of header

@finalout
@titlepage
@title
@author Ramesh Nedunchezian
@end titlepage

@contents

@ifnottex
@node Top
@top
@end ifnottex

@menu
* Commands in library @code{helm-sys}::

@detailmenu
--- The Detailed Node Listing ---

Commands in library @code{helm-sys}

* top::                          Brief summary of what Org does.

@end detailmenu
@end menu

@node Commands in library @code{helm-sys}
@chapter Commands in library @code{helm-sys}

@menu
* top::                          Brief summary of what Org does.
@end menu

@node top
@section top

@table @asis
@item @code{helm-top}
@findex helm-top

@kindex C-x c t

Preconfigured @code{helm} for top command.
@end table

@bye

[-- Attachment #4: test.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.lotus-organizer, Size: 216 bytes --]

* Re: Bug: TexInfo export fails when there is a headline with value "top" [9.4.5 (release_9.4.5-287-gb33fac @ /home/rameshnedunchezian/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
  2021-04-19 10:36 Bug: TexInfo export fails when there is a headline with value "top" [9.4.5 (release_9.4.5-287-gb33fac @ /home/rameshnedunchezian/src/org-mode/lisp/)] Ramesh Nedunchezian
@ 2021-04-19 12:35 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-04-19 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Ramesh Nedunchezian <rameshnedunchezian@outlook.com> writes:

> When I export the following snippet, I get an error. See attachments
> for details.
>
>     * Commands in library ~helm-sys~
>
>     ** top
>        :PROPERTIES:
>        :END:

I think this is a (documentation?) bug in Texinfo.

"Top" is a reserved node name in Texinfo, and Org Texinfo export has
a mechanism to prevent collision with it. So far so good.

Here, you use "top" node name, which is _not_ supposed to be reserved,
since case in node names is significant.
See (info "(texinfo)Node Line Requirements").

Apparently, any case combination from "Top" is forbidden. But this is
not documented in the Texinfo manual.

I worked around it, but I suggest to report it upstream, too.

Fixed. Thanks.

Nicolas Goaziou