Hello Matt (and thank you for your time!), Typing $ sudo lsmod | grep pcspkrin my terminal does not give anything. It simply shows the next prompt (if I am using the correct terminology - I am new in emacs and Linux!). I was able to change the value of the visible bell but I was not able to find a corresponding option for the ring-bell-function. More specifically, the former comes up with a menu/button inside the buffer, which, if selected, allows one to modify value of the visible-bell. The latter (i.e., the ring-bell-function) does not offer such an option. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Maybe it is the distribution that disables the audible bell. Many thanks once more, Evita > From: mdl@imapmail.org > To: evitamoreno80@live.com > CC: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > Subject: Re: Re Audible reminder in org-mode not working > Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:33:27 -0400 > > evita moreno writes: > > > Dear all, > > > > I have a question which may look like it is already answered but the > > solutions provided in previous threads don't really work for me. FYI, I > > am using a Linux Mint Isadora distribution and I tried to run org-mode > > both in a console-session of emacs (emacs -nw) and in an emacs GUI. I > > have tried to set an audible reminder for my appointments using: > > > > (setq appt-audible t) > > > > For some reason, this does not seem to work (the visible reminder works > > just fine). I am sure it does not have to do with volume as it works > > fine with other apps. BTW, the code I am using is collected from > > various threads and given that I know next to nothing in LISP, I can > > safely assume that this is probably the reason the whole audible > > reminder thing is not working.... > > > > I was wondering whether anyone out there could provide a bit of code to > > set audible reminders in org-mode (preferably working in a console > > too). I am teaching young people to use emacs and org-mode to do their > > research and running emacs in a console is probably the best thing to > > do to to stop them from getting distracted from menus, toolbars and > > other things! > > The first question: Does your computer "beep" under other circumstances? > It's very likely that Linux Mint disables the beep by default. What is > the result the following command produce? > > lsmod | grep pcspkr > > If pcspkr is enabled, you might want check the value of the following > options with M-x describe-variable.... > > visible-bell > ring-bell-function > > Best, > Matt _________________________________________________________________ Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?id=60969