From: "Berry, Charles" via "General discussions about Org-mode." <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
To: James Powell <powellj@pdx.edu>
Cc: emacs-org list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Bug: :session results in unfriendly error reporting
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 18:25:37 +0000	[thread overview]

James,

> On Aug 15, 2021, at 4:41 PM, James Powell <powellj@pdx.edu> wrote:
>
> I write a deliberate syntax error into a code block:
>
> : #+begin_src R :session
> :   x <- 1
> :   y xx z
> : #+end_src
>
> I put my cursor in there and C-c C-c.
>
> What I expect: a gentle useful report about the error.

Right. But there is no error as far as babel is concerned. R has handled the condition. So there is nothing for babel to see/do.

> Maybe even org would move the cursor to the point of the
> error in the org buffer.  If not, at least the buffer
> "*Org-Babel Error Output*" will open and show me the error,
> something like this (see also [1]),
>
> : Error: unexpected symbol in:
> : "x <- 1
> : y xx"
> : -UUU:@**--F2  *Org-Babel Error Output*   All L17    (Compilation etu) 4:13PM 0.53 Mail --------------------------------------------------$

`:results output' might help you here, since it will send the terminal output back to babel.

If that doesn't suffice, you might use handlers provided by R to find your way out. But I think that will get sticky as what you create in your example is a parse error.

If the source blocks are eval'ed as part of an export, you have the option of exporting via ox-ravel[*] and using the knitr chunk options to handle errors in the way you want.

> What happens instead:
>
> - the *R* buffer is displayed.  It contains a long spammy traceback
>   that has run off of the top of the screen.  To learn more I have to
>   move the cursor into the *R* buffer and page back to the top of the
>   traceback.
>
> On the other hand, if I set ":session none", I get much friendlier
> behavior.  The Error Output buffer opens with the simple error message
> in it as I showed above when I use this source block:
>
> : #+begin_src R :session none
> :   x <- 1
> :   y xx z
> : #+end_src

Running R in this fashion starts a fresh process which signals an error that babel can handle.  I see no easy way to get sessions to sends signals that babel can process.

> I do not want to abandon :session because my code reads in a lot of
> data to get started and I want my scripts, not my environment to be
> "real" so I am not depending on R's ability to save and reload the
> workspace at all [2] or on "Org's (clever and useful but) somewhat clunky
> and inflexible method of passing data explicitly" [3].

One of the motivating factors for creating ox-ravel[*] was to have flexible caching of R objects. This is provided in knitr, Sweave, and similar report generators. For interactive use, knit-ing a document that has caching enabled at the start of a session is a fast and painless way to get all the objects needed to modify a document.

HRH,

Chuck

[*] https://github.com/chasberry/orgmode-accessories