From: Carsten Dominik <C.Dominik@uva.nl>
To: John <jlr_0@yahoo.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Kill text in org mode
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:49:46 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi John,

On Jun 11, 2008, at 10:26 PM, John wrote:

> Last week I moved from planner-el to org-mode and find it great.
> Thanks to Sacha Chua and John Wiegley for their articles ("Choosing
> between Org and Planner", "Using org-mode as a Day Planner").
>
> One should tell all the planner guys to have a look at org-mode.  So
> much
> more convenient.
>
> --------------
> I do have two minor questions regarding org-mode:
>
>  1. To kill some text from the mark till the begining of
>     a line, I usually type in:
>      - C-SPC to run `set-mark-command', then
>      - C-a to run `beginning-of-line', and then
>      - M-w to run `kill-ring-save'
>
>     But in org-mode `C-a' is bound to `org-beginning-of-line' which
>     quits marking region.  Thus `M-w' can't work anymore.
>
>     The same is true with `org-end-of-line' (C-e).

Fixed, thanks.

>  2. In org-mode I can't seem to `isearch' (C-s) words with accented
>     characters.  For instance, when searching for "résumé", XEmacs
>     starts searching for the leading `r' and then quits upon typing
>     in the first `é'.  This never happens to me in other modes.

This is a bug in XEmacs, in the definition of the variable `isearch-
mode-map'.  In this map, all printing characters should be bound to
`isearch-printing-char', but the setup does not handle non-ascii
characters correctly, I believe.  The purpose of this code is to
exactly handle packages like Org where all normal characters are bound
to a special function - but the implementation of this function is
incomplete.  A better implementation could be to find all characters
that are bound to self-insert-command in the global map and make the
replacement binding for those.

Please report this as a bug to the XEmacs people, I do not have the
time to fix this myself.

- Carsten