From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: links and ID properties
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:06:12 +0200	[thread overview]

On Jul 14, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> In addition to using org-mode for scheduling and email integration and
> all that, I've had great success setting up a translation environment
> I'm finally pleased with. I keep vocabulary items in a separate file,
> and then create links from vocabulary items into the actual text I'm
> translating.
>
> I've switched computers recently and in the process something has gone
> wrong with the vocab links. So far as I know, org-link-to-org-use-id
> has
> always had its default value of create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-
> id,
> but now calling org-store-link no longer creates an ID property on the
> target headline (there's no custom id).

It does for me.

> Furthermore, the following the links from the text back into the
> vocabulary file won't find the right targets: following links that I
> created before I moved computers (when it still created the ID
> property)
> say "no match" for the link (though the ID value is correct for both
> target and link), and new links I've made (where no ID is created),
> just
> find the top of the vocabulary file, not the actual vocabulary item (a
> heading) within the file.
>
> Storing links to a particular vocab item creates a link entry like
> this:
>
> file:~/Documents/text/vocab.org::* (综合二处)
>
> That particular text is a third-level heading, but following this link
> just puts me at the top of the file.
>
> I was using the git head version of org on both the old machine and
> this
> one, but now I'm using emacs 23.2, where I was using emacs 24. The
> vocab
> file is in the same directory as the text file, but none of these are
> org agenda files. I don't know what else might be causing this
> problem!

First of all, I suspect that maybe you are not running the version of
Org-mode you think you are.
What does M-x org-version return?

Second, you can try to recreate the file that links IDs to files.
Just load
all the relevant Org files into Emacs and then run

M-x org-id-update-id-locations RET

Does this help?

- Carsten

> ----
>
> On a semi-related topic, I've seen a couple of threads here recently
> about using links to pull content from other places into the file
> containing the links -- presumably something that would happen upon
> export. I think something along these lines could be very useful -- in
> my case I could choose a final translation of a certain term after all
> the text is translated, then when I export the text, the proper
> English
> translation is substituted into all locations that link to that term.
> This could also be used to create "master files" that pull in content
> from other places: importing subtrees, or creating \input or \include
> statements in the case of LaTeX export.
>
> Presumably this would involve a new link type (say "include") that
> points to a file or heading. When the org file is exported, that
> file or
> heading would be dragged in to replace the link text. If the heading
> be included had a special property (say "INCLUDE_AS"), the value of
> that
> property would be included instead of the text of the heading.
>
> Anyway, this is just a possibilty -- perhaps it can already be done!
> I'd
> be interested in hearing what people think.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

- Carsten