* Inline image display and Emacs 22
@ 2010-07-15  1:14 Bernt Hansen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-07-15  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

I'm seriously considering ditching my Emacs 22 in favour of Emacs 23
from a git snapshot.  I'm running an older version of Emacs from a
stable debian system as my workstation setup -- I've been too lazy to
upgrade so far but there are now a few nagging issues with org-mode that
are just starting to bug me enough to make this move.

  1. Inline image display doesn't seem to work correctly in Emacs22
     The images are displayed but they all overlap each other in the
     top-left corner of the document.  In the case of my org-mode
     document at http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html I only see the
     largest image in Emacs since the others are hidden behind it (I
     guess).  I really miss this feature in Emacs 22.

  2. Moving from agenda buffers to org buffers goes to the wrong place.
     This happens very frequently for me in Emacs 22.  I've never seen
     this problem in Emacs 23.  I've lived with this for a long time
     and just redoing the command goes to the right place.  I'm not
     expecting this to ever get fixed since I think it's an Emacs 22
     issue and not worth pursuing.

  3. C-l handling is much nicer in Emacs 23 (okay this has nothing to do
     with org-mode :)  Can I emulate that behaviour in Emacs 22 somehow?

  4. Copying subtrees with C-c C-x c loses fontification in the copies.
     I don't know if this happens in Emacs 23.

  And there are probably more issues I can't remember right off the top
  of my head right now.

So the only reason for me to stay at Emacs 22 is if there is some
benefit to the org-mode community for testing... and to be honest this
has been my main deterrent from doing the upgrade to Emacs 23 so far.

GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11) of 2008-11-09
on raven, modified by Debian

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Inline image display and Emacs 22
@ 2010-07-15  1:24 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-07-15  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I'm seriously considering ditching my Emacs 22 in favour of Emacs 23
> from a git snapshot.  I'm running an older version of Emacs from a
> stable debian system as my workstation setup -- I've been too lazy to
> upgrade so far but there are now a few nagging issues with org-mode that
> are just starting to bug me enough to make this move.
>
>   1. Inline image display doesn't seem to work correctly in Emacs22
>      The images are displayed but they all overlap each other in the
>      top-left corner of the document.  In the case of my org-mode
>      document at http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html I only see the
>      largest image in Emacs since the others are hidden behind it (I
>      guess).  I really miss this feature in Emacs 22.
>
>   2. Moving from agenda buffers to org buffers goes to the wrong place.
>      This happens very frequently for me in Emacs 22.  I've never seen
>      this problem in Emacs 23.  I've lived with this for a long time
>      and just redoing the command goes to the right place.  I'm not
>      expecting this to ever get fixed since I think it's an Emacs 22
>      issue and not worth pursuing.
>
>   3. C-l handling is much nicer in Emacs 23 (okay this has nothing to do
>      with org-mode :)  Can I emulate that behaviour in Emacs 22 somehow?
>
>   4. Copying subtrees with C-c C-x c loses fontification in the copies.
>      I don't know if this happens in Emacs 23.

    5. org-reveal (C-c C-r) works slightly differently in Emacs 22 and
       23.  I actually prefer the Emacs 22 version.

       If I am in a folded buffer and C-c C-r on a headline the
       following task is /not/ revealed in Emacs 23 but it is in
       Emacs 22.  My workaround for this is to move to the next line and
       then do C-c C-r in Emacs 23 to get the desired behaviour, and
       then return to the headline.

@ 2010-07-15  1:30 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-07-15  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

i have not been able to get emacs 23 to work on my mac, even with
various patches.  so i will keep using 22.

you can port c-l to 22.

copying subtrees works for me.

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: "You only think it's dark." [CDC has denied a deadly disease for 25 years]

* Re: Inline image display and Emacs 22
@ 2010-07-15  1:30   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-07-15  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

>     5. org-reveal (C-c C-r) works slightly differently in Emacs 22 and
>        23.  I actually prefer the Emacs 22 version.
>
>        If I am in a folded buffer and C-c C-r on a headline the
>        following task is /not/ revealed in Emacs 23 but it is in
>        Emacs 22.  My workaround for this is to move to the next line and
>        then do C-c C-r in Emacs 23 to get the desired behaviour, and
>        then return to the headline.

         M-x hide-other
         C-c C-r

         seems to reliably reproduce this for me.

@ 2010-07-15  1:32   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-07-15  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

> i have not been able to get emacs 23 to work on my mac, even with
> various patches.  so i will keep using 22.
>
> you can port c-l to 22.
>
> copying subtrees works for me.

Copying subtrees works... but the colours on TODO keywords get lost.
It's just font lock stuff and not really important but it looks weird.

@ 2010-07-15  1:34     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-07-15  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

i do not have that problem, is what i am saying, bernt.

* Re: Inline image display and Emacs 22
@ 2010-07-15  7:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-15  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

Hi Bernt,

On Jul 15, 2010, at 3:14 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I'm seriously considering ditching my Emacs 22 in favour of Emacs 23
> from a git snapshot.  I'm running an older version of Emacs from a
> stable debian system as my workstation setup -- I've been too lazy to
> upgrade so far but there are now a few nagging issues with org-mode
> that
> are just starting to bug me enough to make this move.
>
>  1. Inline image display doesn't seem to work correctly in Emacs22
>     The images are displayed but they all overlap each other in the
>     top-left corner of the document.  In the case of my org-mode
>     document at http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html I only see the
>     largest image in Emacs since the others are hidden behind it (I
>     guess).  I really miss this feature in Emacs 22.
>
>  2. Moving from agenda buffers to org buffers goes to the wrong place.
>     This happens very frequently for me in Emacs 22.  I've never seen
>     this problem in Emacs 23.  I've lived with this for a long time
>     and just redoing the command goes to the right place.  I'm not
>     expecting this to ever get fixed since I think it's an Emacs 22
>     issue and not worth pursuing.
>
>  3. C-l handling is much nicer in Emacs 23 (okay this has nothing to
> do
>     with org-mode :)  Can I emulate that behaviour in Emacs 22
> somehow?
>
>  4. Copying subtrees with C-c C-x c loses fontification in the copies.
>     I don't know if this happens in Emacs 23.
>
>  And there are probably more issues I can't remember right off the top
>  of my head right now.
>
> So the only reason for me to stay at Emacs 22 is if there is some
> benefit to the org-mode community for testing... and to be honest this
> has been my main deterrent from doing the upgrade to Emacs 23 so far.

I'd much rather have you on Emacs 23 and do your testing there.  After
all,
23.1 has been released one year ago, and it fixes sooooo many things,
everyone
should upgrade.  I think there is no reason to use Emacs 22 anymore at
all.
You write about "using a git snapshot".  If you do that you will
actually
be testing Emacs 24.  Emacs 23 should be considered finised and stable.

- Carsten

* Re: Inline image display and Emacs 22
@ 2010-07-15  7:26     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-15  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

On Jul 15, 2010, at 3:30 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>>    5. org-reveal (C-c C-r) works slightly differently in Emacs 22 and
>>       23.  I actually prefer the Emacs 22 version.
>>
>>       If I am in a folded buffer and C-c C-r on a headline the
>>       following task is /not/ revealed in Emacs 23 but it is in
>>       Emacs 22.

What do you mean by "the following task".
Can you make a step-by-step guide, please?

- Carsten

>>  My workaround for this is to move to the next line and
>>       then do C-c C-r in Emacs 23 to get the desired behaviour, and
>>       then return to the headline.
>
>         M-x hide-other
>         C-c C-r
>
>         seems to reliably reproduce this for me.
>
> -Bernt

- Carsten

* Re: Inline image display and Emacs 22
@ 2010-07-15 11:25       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-07-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

> On Jul 15, 2010, at 3:30 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>>
>>>    5. org-reveal (C-c C-r) works slightly differently in Emacs 22 and
>>>       23.  I actually prefer the Emacs 22 version.
>>>
>>>       If I am in a folded buffer and C-c C-r on a headline the
>>>       following task is /not/ revealed in Emacs 23 but it is in
>>>       Emacs 22.
>
> What do you mean by "the following task".
> Can you make a step-by-step guide, please?

Okay.  Of course today I can't reproduce that behaviour at will :-P
I'll post a recipe when I can reproduce it reliably with a simple
example.

Thanks,

@ 2010-07-15 11:50         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-07-15 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

>> What do you mean by "the following task".
>> Can you make a step-by-step guide, please?

What do you mean by "the following task"  ;)

My confusion seems to be what is the 'following headline' in the
description for org-show-following-headline.

This turns out to be pilot error I think.  It's a combination of
narrowing to subtree and not understanding that org-reveal shows only
the next SIBLING task (as opposed to the next child task.)

> Okay.  Of course today I can't reproduce that behaviour at will :-P
> I'll post a recipe when I can reproduce it reliably with a simple
> example.

Here;s my recipe:

This works the same in Emacs 22 and Emacs 23 so I was mistaken about it
being an Emacs 23 only issue -- I just notice this more in Emacs 23 at
work.

,----[ sample.org ]
| * one
| * two
| ** two.one
| ** two.two
| *** TODO two.two.one
| **** TODO next subtask
| *** TODO two.two.three
| ** two.three
| * three
`----

If you put the point on the headline for two.two
C-x n s
M-x hide-other RET

then

C-c C-r

seems to do nothing.

It does not reveal the task two.two.one which is what I want so I can
safely edit the content of two.two.

C-c C-r seems to do nothing when the buffer is narrowed to subtree and
there is no sibling task after the current task you want to reveal --
even if that task has child tasks.  I think it is working as designed
but it isn't as convenient as it could be.

I have
   org-show-hierarchy-above t
and
   org-show-following-heading t

I expected (incorrectly it seems) that org-show-following-heading would
show the next heading in the file (i.e. two.two.one (the child of
two.two) not the sibling which is not part of the narrowed buffer)

Regards,
Bernt