On Sep 16, 2013, at 3:27 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote: > Hi Rasmus, > > On Sep 16, 2013, at 12:47 PM, Rasmus wrote: > >> Carsten Dominik writes: >> >>> OK, let me ask like this: >>> >>> Does anyone know about conflicts arising from loading wrapfig and rotating? >> >> Their manuals doesn't mention anything, it seems. The internet >> suggests that there might be between memoir and wrapfig, but I didn't >> look into it as I don't know much about memoir. > > thanks for this. > >> >> >>> OK, so my proposal is >> >> Note: I should be obvious that I prefer to load as little stuff be >> default as possible. That is: I'm biased, but it's OK when everyone >> knows. > > Yes. Of course the cleanest solution would be to load as little > as possible. But convenience and backward compatibility are > also a concern which I would like to consider. > >> >>> - to add the rotating package >>> - do document that the tabu package is needed when specifying tabu >> >> Note the package loading order might matter. > > Yes, I am aware of this. Can you be specific for this case? I guess > rotating has no load sequence issues. > > Does tabu have such issues? With which packages (what you know) > >> >>> - do document that amsmath in needed when generating a matrix >> >> and subscripts. And sometimes math (e.g. align). > > amsmath is not in the defualt list, patch by you IIRC. So we actually is *now* in the default list. Sorry for the typo. > do not have to say something about this in the manual. > >> >>> The reasoning: >> >>> - wrapfig and longtable have been in there for a long time, we want to >>> avoid breaking existing files whenever possible >> >> Assuming a mechanism exists that can detect when tabu is to be loaded >> why only apply it there and not to the other optional packages? > > Because any automatic mechanism may cause problems with load sequence, > so packages that are problematic in this way should require user attention. > Hmm, have I just argued agains longtbl by saying this? > > Thank you for your competent input. > > - Carsten > >> >>> - rotating is needed for sideways stuff and does not do any harm >> >> Alternative implementation exists, but they are of course not >> supported by Org. Would they be in conflict? I doubt it. >> >>> - somewhat arbitrarily I am drawing the line above the tabu package. >> >> It does seem a bit arbitrary. >> >> Bu people who feel strongly about not loading some stuff can change >> default package alist so it's not a big issue. >> >> –Rasmus >> >> -- >> A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it >> >> >