On 10.9.2013, at 09:58, Carsten Dominik wrote: > > On 10.9.2013, at 09:53, Suvayu Ali wrote: > >> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 09:32:57AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote: >>> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 08:03:32AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote: >>>> >>>> One more thought: What if the paragraph motion commands did use elements, but >>>> ignored the hierarchy. So they jump to the next headline, paragraph, table, src block, item? >>>> >>>> I think this would feel similar to what paragraph motion does in text mode. >>> >>> This is a great suggestion! >> >> Actually it is not trivial to do this I think. It requires a lot of >> special handling. Effectively you have to "flatten" the element tree >> (since there are greater elements, and more fundamental elements). One >> might then say: aha, just use the leaf nodes. But again that does not >> work. >> >> A few examples: although a regular paragraph (whatever that might >> be :-p) could be a leaf, what about a list? Do we want traversing list >> items or entire lists with this new implementation? > > Individual items > >> For a list with one >> line entries, going over entire lists might be desired, on the other >> hand a user might expect to traverse entries when going through a list >> with multi-line or multi-paragraph entries. Then there are tables, do >> you traverse rows (which are elements AFAIU) or entire tables; > > entire tables. > >> and so >> on. > > I do not think this is is difficult as you are saying. Sorry for replying to myself. I want to put a different light on this. The question is: What are people using C-arrow for? I think the main application is reasonably fast motion and selection in a *linear* way. Is this correct, or do people disagree here with me? The amazing element motion commands Nicolas has implement correspond to sexp motion, as he has said himself. Maybe C-M-f and C-M-b are the better binding match for these? - Carsten > > Cheers > > - Carsten > >> >> As you see this is a rather subjective issue. I have a few thoughts >> though. We could discuss this on the list and give a default >> implementation based on the consensus, but it would be nice to give an >> easy way to _write_ a custom paragraph motion command using elements. I >> am not sure what that might be though :-p. I will try to think about >> this some more. >> >> Cheers, >> >> -- >> Suvayu >> >> Open source is the future. It sets us free. >