* org-indent-mode makes set-goal-column behave surprising
@ 2024-07-28  9:48 Martin Edström
From: Martin Edström @ 2024-07-28  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, pinging back on two old emails that seem related:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-01/msg00030.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-05/msg00654.html

A bug that can be reproduced on Emacs -Q:

- Open an org file that has subtrees at various levels
- Do M-x org-indent-mode RET
- Go forward a few chars inside a line, then do M-x set-goal-column RET RET
- Now move up and down lines. You'll see that it does not stick to any sensible "goal column".

I myself rely on this technique (set-goal-column), for example to edit the start of each list item in a list, without having to navigate to beginning of line again on each item.  But it only works if there are no headings (or org-indent-mode is disabled).

* org-indent-mode makes set-goal-column behave surprising
@ 2024-07-29 10:52 Martin Edström
From: Martin Edström @ 2024-07-29 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, pinging back on two old emails that seem related:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-01/msg00030.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-05/msg00654.html

A bug that can be reproduced on Emacs -Q:

- Open an org file that has subtrees at various levels
- Do M-x org-indent-mode RET
- Go forward a few chars inside a line, then do M-x set-goal-column RET RET
- Now move up and down lines. You'll see that it does not stick to any sensible "goal column".

I myself rely on this technique (set-goal-column), for example to edit the start of each list item in a list, without having to navigate to beginning of line again on each item. But it only works if there are no headings (or org-indent-mode is disabled).

* Re: org-indent-mode makes set-goal-column behave surprising
@ 2024-08-02 13:25 ` Martin Edström
From: Martin Edström @ 2024-08-02 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Edström; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sorry, I have to add a reproduction step: turn on M-x visual-line-mode.

Anyway, it's not an Org bug.  Reported upstream:  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72420

Martin Edstrom