* Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-07  4:40 Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-12-07  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs devel, emacs help, org mode

Hello,

A user emacs conference would consist of talks of about an hour. I think
a week end should be sufficient. If we don't have enough talks we can
split workshops in smaller group on a given topic.

They are plenty of talk proposals listed on this web site.

http://emacsconf.herokuapp.com/

I can give a talk on GTD with org mode.

And since we are speaking of GTD, what need to happens next for this
event to happen?
--
Ivan Kanis
http://ivan.kanis.fr

Don't look back unless you intend to go that way.
    -- Marc Holm

* Re: Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-07  5:57 ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2012-12-07  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-orgmode

Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> A user emacs conference would consist of talks of about an hour. I think
> a week end should be sufficient. If we don't have enough talks we can
> split workshops in smaller group on a given topic.
>
> They are plenty of talk proposals listed on this web site.
>
> http://emacsconf.herokuapp.com/
>
> I can give a talk on GTD with org mode.
>
> And since we are speaking of GTD, what need to happens next for this
> event to happen?

What city/country/continent are you thinking of holding it?

--
Burton

* Re: Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-07  6:43   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2012-12-07  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton Samograd; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-orgmode, emacs-devel

Burton Samograd <burton@samograd.ca> writes:

> Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> A user emacs conference would consist of talks of about an hour. I think
>> a week end should be sufficient. If we don't have enough talks we can
>> split workshops in smaller group on a given topic.
>>
>> They are plenty of talk proposals listed on this web site.
>>
>> http://emacsconf.herokuapp.com/>
>> I can give a talk on GTD with org mode.
>>
>> And since we are speaking of GTD, what need to happens next for this
>> event to happen?
>
> What city/country/continent are you thinking of holding it?

I think this would be very interesting!

I think the original idea was to host the conference in London, but if
this doesnt manifest, my previous proposal to host the conference at my
company offices in Stockholm still stands:

http://emacsconf.herokuapp.com/proposals/40

,----
| LOCATION PROPOSAL: STOCKHOLM
| by joakim verona
| votes: 0
| I can likely provide a location free of charge, our company office. Its located in Stockholm, here: http://www.it-huset.se/kontakt/karta/ A weekend would be best.
`----

I can (likely) provide beverages and snacks free of charge as well.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-07 14:02     ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-12-07 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Burton Samograd, emacs-orgmode, help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

Hi Joakim,

Good we got a place! So it will be Stockholm.

Roughly how many people can you hold comfortably in a meeting room? It's
important to know so that we don't get too many people.

When we did a Org Mode conference in Paris in 2012 we were very
surprised that 12 people turned up.

The next question is when?

I think like you that a week-end is best. I can't think talking about
emacs for more than two days. I am thinking between April and June 2013.

I am only saying this because warm weather puts me in a good mood. It
could be done sooner.

I don't think we should do it in July or August because most people
takes their holiday then... [1]

Take care,

Ivan Kanis

[1] Well in France at least ;)

* Re: Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-07 19:58       ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2012-12-07 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis
  Cc: Burton Samograd, emacs-orgmode, help-gnu-emacs, joakim,
	emacs-devel

Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> writes:

> Good we got a place! So it will be Stockholm.
>

> The next question is when?
>
> I think like you that a week-end is best. I can't think talking about
> emacs for more than two days. I am thinking between April and June
> 2013.

That's a shame. I would like to come and present Elnode. But I wouldn't
do a weekend.

My understanding is that the guy who started the emacsconf.herokuapp.com
IS planning to do a conference in London in March/April time.

Nic Ferrier

* Re: Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-07 21:12 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2012-12-07 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-orgmode, emacs-devel

An Emacs user conference sounds useful if users are interested in it.
But keep in mind that running a physical conference is a lot of work.
If you have not done it before, you might think it is easy,
and then be very surprised.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-08 18:33         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-08 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nic Ferrier
  Cc: joakim, emacs-devel, Burton Samograd, emacs-orgmode,
	help-gnu-emacs, Ivan Kanis

Hi Nic,

Nic Ferrier <nferrier@ferrier.me.uk> writes:

> My understanding is that the guy who started the emacsconf.herokuapp.com
> IS planning to do a conference in London in March/April time.

It would be nice if he can send an update on this list.

I'd be glad to be part of it if it happens, I have some
experience with organizing big events.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-08 19:13         ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2012-12-08 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nic Ferrier
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, Burton Samograd, Ivan Kanis, help-gnu-emacs,
	emacs-devel

Nic Ferrier <nferrier@ferrier.me.uk> writes:

> Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Good we got a place! So it will be Stockholm.
>>

>> The next question is when?
>>
>> I think like you that a week-end is best. I can't think talking about
>> emacs for more than two days. I am thinking between April and June
>> 2013.
>
> That's a shame. I would like to come and present Elnode. But I wouldn't
> do a weekend.

I think the office can handle 200 people during events. Office hours we
can only have one room, like 20 people or so(so, 20 people during
weekday work hours, evenings and weekends 200 people)

> My understanding is that the guy who started the emacsconf.herokuapp.com
> IS planning to do a conference in London in March/April time.

That would be nice! Anyway, I wouldnt be able to put in much in the way
of planning, so if a better organizer can find us a locale, that is
probably for the best. (or I can ask our admin to help us, they are
proficient at that sort of thing)

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-09  0:03           ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2012-12-09  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, Burton Samograd, Ivan Kanis, help-gnu-emacs,
	emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se replied:

> That would be nice! Anyway, I wouldnt be able to put in much in the way
> of planning, so if a better organizer can find us a locale, that is
> probably for the best. (or I can ask our admin to help us, they are
> proficient at that sort of thing)

well, as I say. It would be annoying if there were 2 at the same time.

He *is* working on it. He has a venue. He has speakers (the emacsconf
heroku app was setup by him).

So I think you should maybe let him get on with it?

* Re: Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-09  6:34           ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-12-09  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, Nic Ferrier, Burton Samograd, emacs-orgmode,
	help-gnu-emacs, joakim, emacs-devel

Hello,

The next action is to decide when this will happen. I propose May, 15.
Is that date agreeable with everyone?

I think we should narrow the discussion to one mailing list. I think
help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org is the best. Do you agree with me?

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> I'd be glad to be part of it if it happens, I have some
> experience with organizing big events.

That's great. I have never done it.
--
Ivan Kanis
http://ivan.kanis.fr

'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never have loved at all.
    -- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

* Re: Emacs user conference
@ 2012-12-09  8:08             ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2012-12-09  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nic Ferrier
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, Burton Samograd, Ivan Kanis, help-gnu-emacs,
	emacs-devel

Nic Ferrier <nferrier@ferrier.me.uk> writes:

> Nic Ferrier wrote:
>>> My understanding is that the guy who started the emacsconf.herokuapp.com
>>> IS planning to do a conference in London in March/April time.
>
> joakim@verona.se replied:
>
>> That would be nice! Anyway, I wouldnt be able to put in much in the way
>> of planning, so if a better organizer can find us a locale, that is
>> probably for the best. (or I can ask our admin to help us, they are
>> proficient at that sort of thing)
>
> well, as I say. It would be annoying if there were 2 at the same time.
>
> He *is* working on it. He has a venue. He has speakers (the emacsconf
> heroku app was setup by him).
>
> So I think you should maybe let him get on with it?

Cool, I'll do that.
--
Joakim Verona