I agree. There is no reason to think this should not work. I have been down this road myself in wished it did. From: Emacs-orgmode On Behalf Of Ihor Radchenko Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2022 9:41 AM To: Eros Zaupa Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org Subject: Re: [BUG] org-mode #+SETUPFILE not working with properties [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-378-g98588e @ /home/eros/src/org-mode/lisp/)] CAUTION: This email is from an External Source. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email. Eros Zaupa > writes: > I would like to move the properties drawer to a separate file and import it > into the main one. To do so I'm using the `#SETUPFILE` property suggested > [here][1], but this doesn't seem to work. Confirmed. Though I am not 100% sure. Org is indeed ignoring top-level property drawer when parsing #+SETUPFILE. Dear All, I think that parsing top-level property drawer is simply an omission from the time we introduced top-level property drawers into syntax. We may either implement this support or leave things as is and document the current behaviour. I would be in favour of implementing top-level drawer support in SETUPFILE, but there might be alternative opinions. WDYT? Dear Eros Zaupa, > ***main.org*** > > #+SETUPFILE: test.org > > #+begin_src sh > echo ${A} > #+end_src > > #+RESULTS: > > ***test.org*** > > :PROPERTIES: > :header-args:sh: :var A="this is a" > :END: To work around your issue, you can use keyword property syntax: ***test.org*** #+PROPERTY: header-args:sh :var A="this is a" Best, Ihor