* saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-20 11:19 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-03-20 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

How would I save the state of the headlines? e.g.,:

* Books
* Movies
* Music
** Analysis
*** Classical
**** Composers
***** Beethoven
****** Eroica
******* II. Marcia funebre: Adagio assai
******** General Comments
********* Climax of the Movement

The climax of the movement for me is the sudden prominence of the French
Horn at measures 136 - 140 (9:21 - 9:36, Bernstein).

. . .

When I return to this buffer, I want all of this to be opened. The
problem with the Emacs bookmarks is that the headlines get completely
garbled.

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-20 13:49 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-20 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Fourtytwo,

42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:

> When I return to this buffer, I want all of this to be opened.

(info "(Org)Visibility cycling")

   When Emacs first visits an Org file, the global state is set to
OVERVIEW, i.e., only the top level headlines are visible.  This can be
configured through the variable 'org-startup-folded', or on a per-file
basis by adding one of the following lines anywhere in the buffer:

     #+STARTUP: overview
     #+STARTUP: content
     #+STARTUP: showall
     #+STARTUP: showeverything

   The startup visibility options are ignored when the file is open for
the first time during the agenda generation: if you want the agenda to
honor the startup visibility, set 'org-agenda-inhibit-startup' to nil.

Furthermore, any entries with a 'VISIBILITY' property (*note Properties and
Columns::) will get their visibility adapted accordingly.  Allowed values for
this property are 'folded', 'children', 'content', and 'all'.  'C-u C-u
<TAB>' ('org-set-startup-visibility')
     Switch back to the startup visibility of the buffer, i.e., whatever is
     requested by startup options and 'VISIBILITY' properties in individual
     entries.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-20 17:00   ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-03-20 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Apologies on behalf of my inferior cognitive faculty, but I do not see a
solution to my problem in those options (perhaps merely a means to it).

Between OVERVIEW, CONTENT, SHOWALL, SHOWEVERYTHING, which == "allow me to
save and reopen the buffer in its current configuration."

From what I can gather from limited reading comprehension, these are still
general settings, i.e., ALL headlines will be opened; ALL drawers will be
opened; ALL text will be exposed.

What I want is to just have those things exposed that I exposed in my
particular session.

mit freundlichen Grüßen,

42

2013/3/20 Bastien <bzg@altern.org>

> Hi Fourtytwo,
>
> 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > When I return to this buffer, I want all of this to be opened.
>
> (info "(Org)Visibility cycling")
>
>    When Emacs first visits an Org file, the global state is set to
> OVERVIEW, i.e., only the top level headlines are visible.  This can be
> configured through the variable 'org-startup-folded', or on a per-file
> basis by adding one of the following lines anywhere in the buffer:
>
>      #+STARTUP: overview
>      #+STARTUP: content
>      #+STARTUP: showall
>      #+STARTUP: showeverything
>
>    The startup visibility options are ignored when the file is open for
> the first time during the agenda generation: if you want the agenda to
> honor the startup visibility, set 'org-agenda-inhibit-startup' to nil.
>
> Furthermore, any entries with a 'VISIBILITY' property (*note Properties and
> Columns::) will get their visibility adapted accordingly.  Allowed values
> for
> this property are 'folded', 'children', 'content', and 'all'.  'C-u C-u
> <TAB>' ('org-set-startup-visibility')
>      Switch back to the startup visibility of the buffer, i.e., whatever is
>      requested by startup options and 'VISIBILITY' properties in individual
>      entries.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-20 17:09     ` Christoph
From: Christoph @ 2013-03-20 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 03/20/2013 06:00 PM, 42 147 wrote:
> Apologies on behalf of my inferior cognitive faculty, but I do not see a
> solution to my problem in those options (perhaps merely a means to it).
>
> Between OVERVIEW, CONTENT, SHOWALL, SHOWEVERYTHING, which == "allow me to
> save and reopen the buffer in its current configuration."
>
>  From what I can gather from limited reading comprehension, these are still
> general settings, i.e., ALL headlines will be opened; ALL drawers will be
> opened; ALL text will be exposed.
>
> What I want is to just have those things exposed that I exposed in my
> particular session.

(require 'saveplace)
(setq-default save-place t)

works for me. It just opens the place where I had the point, nothing
more, but that's what I need most.

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-20 18:28     ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-03-20 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

> (require 'saveplace)
> (setq-default save-place t)

> works for me. It just opens the place where I had the point, nothing
> more, but that's what I need most.

This is more convenient than Emacs bookmarks, but still breaks org-mode to
a certain extent: all non top-level headlines below point are hidden. At
least for me.

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-20 18:57       ` Loyall, David
From: Loyall, David @ 2013-03-20 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147, Org Mode

42,

Try this:
Move the point to some headline.
Press C-c C-x p v <TAB> <ENTER> a <TAB> <ENTER>

Observe how lines, like :PROPERTIES:, were added to your headline.

Press C-u C-u <TAB> to simulate closing the file and reopening it.

I know that this isn't exactly what you're looking for.  You're looking for org-mode to automatically track and save the folding state.  I'd like that, too.  But maybe this VISIBILITY property will suffice for now.

Cheers,
--Dave

2013/3/20 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com<mailto:aeuster@gmail.com>>
Apologies on behalf of my inferior cognitive faculty, but I do not see a
solution to my problem in those options (perhaps merely a means to it).

Between OVERVIEW, CONTENT, SHOWALL, SHOWEVERYTHING, which == "allow me to
save and reopen the buffer in its current configuration."

From what I can gather from limited reading comprehension, these are still
general settings, i.e., ALL headlines will be opened; ALL drawers will be
opened; ALL text will be exposed.

What I want is to just have those things exposed that I exposed in my
particular session.

mit freundlichen Grüßen,

42

2013/3/20 Bastien <bzg@altern.org<mailto:bzg@altern.org>>
Hi Fourtytwo,

@ 2013-03-21  6:58       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-03-21  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: Org Mode

On 20.3.2013, at 19:28, 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> > (require 'saveplace)
> > (setq-default save-place t)
>
> > works for me. It just opens the place where I had the point, nothing
> > more, but that's what I need most.
>
> This is more convenient than Emacs bookmarks, but still breaks org-mode to
> a certain extent: all non top-level headlines below point are hidden. At
> least for me.

Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into invisible text happens, for example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or saveplace.  Take a look at the variable org-show-siblings and set a special context for bookmark-jump, that should do it.  This will work for both saveplace and bookmarks.

You can do this with customize, or just like this:

(setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))

There are companion variables, they are all in the customization group org-reveal-context.

- Carsten

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-21  7:14         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-03-21  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-03-21, o godz. 07:58:51
Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> On 20.3.2013, at 19:28, 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > (require 'saveplace)
> > > (setq-default save-place t)
> >
> > > works for me. It just opens the place where I had the point,
> > > nothing more, but that's what I need most.
> >
> > This is more convenient than Emacs bookmarks, but still breaks
> > org-mode to a certain extent: all non top-level headlines below
> > point are hidden. At least for me.
>
> Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into
> invisible text happens, for example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or
> saveplace.  Take a look at the variable org-show-siblings and set a
> special context for bookmark-jump, that should do it.  This will work
> for both saveplace and bookmarks.
>
> You can do this with customize, or just like this:
>
> (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))
>
> There are companion variables, they are all in the customization
> group org-reveal-context.

After almost 2 years on TeX.SE and more than 3 years on BGG, what I
probably lack most in mailing lists is an upvote/thumb up button... :)

> - Carsten

Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-21  9:05         ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-03-21  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, Loyall, David; +Cc: Org Mode

Thanks David, but what Carsten suggested completely resolved my problem (it
applies not just to bookmarks; it fully preserves my buffer's folded state
after adding Christoph's code to my .emacs). But I should also thank you
for finding the words I struggled to find ("folded state").

I feel honored that royalty stepped into the discussion.

Herzlichen Dank,

42

2013/3/21 Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>

> On 20.3.2013, at 19:28, 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > (require 'saveplace)
> > (setq-default save-place t)
>
> > works for me. It just opens the place where I had the point, nothing
> > more, but that's what I need most.
>
> This is more convenient than Emacs bookmarks, but still breaks org-mode to
> a certain extent: all non top-level headlines below point are hidden. At
> least for me.
>

> Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into
> invisible text happens, for example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or
> saveplace.  Take a look at the variable org-show-siblings and set a special
> context for bookmark-jump, that should do it.  This will work for both
> saveplace and bookmarks.
>
> You can do this with customize, or just like this:
>
> (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))
>
> There are companion variables, they are all in the customization group
> org-reveal-context.
>
> - Carsten

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-21  9:23           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-03-21  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147, Carsten Dominik, Loyall, David; +Cc: Org Mode

On 21/03/13 10:05, 42 147 wrote:
> Thanks David, but what Carsten suggested completely resolved my problem (it applies not just to
> bookmarks; it fully preserves my buffer's folded state after adding Christoph's code to my
> .emacs).

Good - May I suggest, that you write a step - by step howto and mail it here or even add it to
worg? This would be a useful addition.

> But I should also thank you for finding the words I struggled to find ("folded state").

And we have to thank you for this useful question!

Cheers,

Rainer

> I feel honored that royalty stepped into the discussion.
>
> Herzlichen Dank,
>
> 42
>

> 2013/3/21 Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com <mailto:carsten.dominik@gmail.com>>
>

> On 20.3.2013, at 19:28, 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com <mailto:aeuster@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>> (require 'saveplace) (setq-default save-place t)
>>
>>> works for me. It just opens the place where I had the point, nothing more, but that's what
>>> I need most.
>>
>> This is more convenient than Emacs bookmarks, but still breaks org-mode to a certain extent:
>> all non top-level headlines below point are hidden. At least for me.
>>

> Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into invisible text happens, for
> example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or saveplace.  Take a look at the variable
> org-show-siblings and set a special context for bookmark-jump, that should do it.  This will
> work for both saveplace and bookmarks.
>
> You can do this with customize, or just like this:
>
> (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))
>
> There are companion variables, they are all in the customization group org-reveal-context.
>
> - Carsten

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-21  9:28             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-03-21  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer; +Cc: 42 147, Loyall, David, Org Mode

On 21 mrt. 2013, at 10:23, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/03/13 10:05, 42 147 wrote:
>> Thanks David, but what Carsten suggested completely resolved my problem (it applies not just to
>> bookmarks; it fully preserves my buffer's folded state after adding Christoph's code to my
>> .emacs).
>
> Good - May I suggest, that you write a step - by step howto and mail it here or even add it to
> worg? This would be a useful addition.

I guess it would make a good FAQ entry.

I also think that maybe the current default is not good,
show-siblings should probably default to t for bookmark jump.

- Carsten

>> But I should also thank you for finding the words I struggled to find ("folded state").
>
> And we have to thank you for this useful question!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

>> I feel honored that royalty stepped into the discussion.
>>
>> Herzlichen Dank,
>>
>> 42

>>> This is more convenient than Emacs bookmarks, but still breaks org-mode to a certain extent:
>>> all non top-level headlines below point are hidden. At least for me.
>>>

>> Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into invisible text happens, for
>> example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or saveplace.  Take a look at the variable
>> org-show-siblings and set a special context for bookmark-jump, that should do it.  This will
>> work for both saveplace and bookmarks.
>>
>> You can do this with customize, or just like this:
>>
>> (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))
>>
>> There are companion variables, they are all in the customization group org-reveal-context.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> - --
> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
> (Germany)
>
> Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
> Stellenbosch University
> South Africa
>
> Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
> Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
> Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
>
> Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
>
> email:      Rainer@krugs.de
>
> Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-21  9:42               ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-03-21  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, Rainer; +Cc: 42 147, Loyall, David, Org Mode

On 21/03/13 10:28, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Good - May I suggest, that you write a step - by step howto and mail it here or even add it to
> worg? This would be a useful addition.
>
>> I guess it would make a good FAQ entry.

Haven't thought about these - they would even be better then worg.

>> I also think that maybe the current default is not good, show-siblings should probably
>> default to t for bookmark jump.

Would make much sense - I assume that would then open the location when doing a search - replace.

Cheers,

Rainer

>> - Carsten

> And we have to thank you for this useful question!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer

- --

@ 2013-03-21  9:47           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-03-21  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: Loyall, David, Org Mode

On 21 mrt. 2013, at 10:05, 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks David, but what Carsten suggested completely resolved my problem (it
> applies not just to bookmarks; it fully preserves my buffer's folded state
> after adding Christoph's code to my .emacs).

I don't think it preserves a state.  It constructs one, and you happen to like it. :)

- Carsten

> But I should also thank you
> for finding the words I struggled to find ("folded state").
>
> I feel honored that royalty stepped into the discussion.
>
> Herzlichen Dank,
>
> 42
>

> 2013/3/21 Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
>
> On 20.3.2013, at 19:28, 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > (require 'saveplace)
>> > (setq-default save-place t)
>>
>> > works for me. It just opens the place where I had the point, nothing
>> > more, but that's what I need most.
>>
>> This is more convenient than Emacs bookmarks, but still breaks org-mode to
>> a certain extent: all non top-level headlines below point are hidden. At
>> least for me.
>>

> Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into invisible text happens, for example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or saveplace.  Take a look at the variable org-show-siblings and set a special context for bookmark-jump, that should do it.  This will work for both saveplace and bookmarks.
>
> You can do this with customize, or just like this:
>
> (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))
>
> There are companion variables, they are all in the customization group org-reveal-context.
>
> - Carsten

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-21 10:16                 ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-03-21 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer, Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

> Good - May I suggest, that you write a step - by step howto and mail it here or even add it to
> worg? This would be a useful addition.

I adapted this thread the best I could. Feel free to do with it what you
wish.

QUESTION

How do I restore the state of my buffer where I left it?

ANSWER

When Emacs first visits an Org file, the global state is set to
OVERVIEW, i.e., only the top level headlines are visible.

If you wish Emacs to restore the position of point where you left it in
your previous session, add the following code to your .emacs:

(require 'saveplace)
(setq-default save-place t)

If you wish Org-mode to restore the folded state of the buffer (not just
the position of point), you can either use customize, or add the following
to .emacs:

(setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))

If you use customize, take look at the variable org-show-siblings and set a
special context for bookmark-jump. This will work for both saveplace and
bookmarks.

Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into invisible
text happens, for example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or saveplace.
There are companion variables, and they are all in the customization group
org-reveal-context.

2013/3/21 Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>

> On 21/03/13 10:28, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> problem (it applies not
> adding Christoph's
> >
> > Good - May I suggest, that you write a step - by step howto and mail it
> here or even add it to
> > worg? This would be a useful addition.
> >
> >> I guess it would make a good FAQ entry.
>
> Haven't thought about these - they would even be better then worg.
>

> >> I also think that maybe the current default is not good, show-siblings
> should probably
> >> default to t for bookmark jump.
>
> Would make much sense - I assume that would then open the location when
> doing a search - replace.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

> >> - Carsten

> ("folded state").
> >
> > And we have to thank you for this useful question!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Rainer

> carsten.dominik@gmail.com>>

> nothing more, but that's

> org-mode to a certain
> for me.

> invisible text happens,
> at the variable
> should do it.  This

> - --
> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation
> Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
> (Germany)
>
> Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
> Stellenbosch University
> South Africa
>
> Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
> Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
> Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
>
> Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
>
> email:      Rainer@krugs.de
>
> Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-21 11:02                   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-03-21 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: Rainer, Org Mode

This is nice, does anyone of you have write permissions on Work to add this?

- Carsten

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-21 11:25                     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-03-21 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, 42 147; +Cc: Rainer, Org Mode

On 21/03/13 12:02, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> This is nice, does anyone of you have write permissions on Work to add this?

I should have, but I have never done it.

Rainer

> - Carsten
>
> On 21 mrt. 2013, at 11:16, 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com <mailto:aeuster@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>> Good - May I suggest, that you write a step - by step howto and mail it here or even add it
>>> to worg? This would be a useful addition.
>> I adapted this thread the best I could. Feel free to do with it what you wish.
>>
>> QUESTION
>>
>> How do I restore the state of my buffer where I left it?
>>
>> ANSWER
>>
>> When Emacs first visits an Org file, the global state is set to OVERVIEW, i.e., only the top
>> level headlines are visible.
>>
>> If you wish Emacs to restore the position of point where you left it in your previous
>> session, add the following code to your .emacs:
>>
>> (require 'saveplace) (setq-default save-place t)
>>
>> If you wish Org-mode to restore the folded state of the buffer (not just the position of
>> point), you can either use customize, or add the following to .emacs:
>>
>> (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))
>>
>> If you use customize, take look at the variable org-show-siblings and set a special context
>> for bookmark-jump. This will work for both saveplace and bookmarks.
>>
>> Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into invisible text happens, for
>> example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or saveplace. There are companion variables, and they
>> are all in the customization group org-reveal-context.
>>
>> 2013/3/21 Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com <mailto:r.m.krug@gmail.com>>
>>
> On 21/03/13 10:28, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> On 21 mrt. 2013, at 10:23, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com <mailto:r.m.krug@gmail.com>>
>> wrote:

>> Good - May I suggest, that you write a step - by step howto and mail it here or even add it
>> to worg? This would be a useful addition.
>
>>> I guess it would make a good FAQ entry.
>
> Haven't thought about these - they would even be better then worg.
>

>>> I also think that maybe the current default is not good, show-siblings should probably
>>> default to t for bookmark jump.
>
> Would make much sense - I assume that would then open the location when doing a search -
> replace.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

>>> - Carsten

>> And we have to thank you for this useful question!
>
>> Cheers,
>
>> Rainer

> <mailto:carsten.dominik@gmail.com <mailto:carsten.dominik@gmail.com>>>

- --

@ 2013-03-21 11:38                       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-03-21 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer; +Cc: 42 147, Org Mode

On 21 mrt. 2013, at 12:25, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/03/13 12:02, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> This is nice, does anyone of you have write permissions on Work to add this?
>
> I should have, but I have never done it.

Well, you can try, or else I'll do it.

- Carsten

> Rainer
>

>> - Carsten

>>> I adapted this thread the best I could. Feel free to do with it what you wish.
>>>
>>> QUESTION
>>>
>>> How do I restore the state of my buffer where I left it?
>>>
>>> ANSWER
>>>
>>> When Emacs first visits an Org file, the global state is set to OVERVIEW, i.e., only the top
>>> level headlines are visible.
>>>
>>> If you wish Emacs to restore the position of point where you left it in your previous
>>> session, add the following code to your .emacs:
>>>
>>> (require 'saveplace) (setq-default save-place t)
>>>
>>> If you wish Org-mode to restore the folded state of the buffer (not just the position of
>>> point), you can either use customize, or add the following to .emacs:
>>>
>>> (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))
>>>
>>> If you use customize, take look at the variable org-show-siblings and set a special context
>>> for bookmark-jump. This will work for both saveplace and bookmarks.
>>>
>>> Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into invisible text happens, for
>>> example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or saveplace. There are companion variables, and they
>>> are all in the customization group org-reveal-context.
>>>
>>> 2013/3/21 Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com <mailto:r.m.krug@gmail.com>>
>>>
>> On 21/03/13 10:28, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>>> On 21 mrt. 2013, at 10:23, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com <mailto:r.m.krug@gmail.com>>
>>> wrote:

>>> Good - May I suggest, that you write a step - by step howto and mail it here or even add it
>>> to worg? This would be a useful addition.

>> Haven't thought about these - they would even be better then worg.

>> Would make much sense - I assume that would then open the location when doing a search -
>> replace.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rainer

>>> And we have to thank you for this useful question!
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>>> Rainer

>> <mailto:carsten.dominik@gmail.com <mailto:carsten.dominik@gmail.com>>>

> - --
> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
> (Germany)
>
> Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
> Stellenbosch University
> South Africa
>
> Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
> Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
> Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
>
> Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
>
> email:      Rainer@krugs.de
>
> Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-21 11:59                         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-03-21 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, Rainer; +Cc: 42 147, Org Mode

On 21/03/13 12:38, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> I should have, but I have never done it.
>
>> Well, you can try, or else I'll do it.

I could, and I would (I was looking for an excuse for a long time), but I have no time before
middle next week. I can put it into my TODO items for then.

I just relised, I was only registered to repo.or.cz - but I will register as described at

http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-git.html

If it should be up earlier, please feel free to do it.

Cheers,

Rainer

>> - Carsten
>

> Rainer

- --

@ 2013-03-21 13:50                           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-03-21 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer; +Cc: 42 147, Org Mode

Here is a patch that would change the default values for bookmark-jump and saveplace.
Bastien, what do you think?

- Carsten

diff --git a/lisp/org.el b/lisp/org.el
index bf74afd..1d48338 100644
--- a/lisp/org.el
+++ b/lisp/org.el
@@ -916,7 +916,7 @@ contexts.  See `org-show-hierarchy-above' for valid contexts."
   :group 'org-reveal-location
   :type org-context-choice)

-(defcustom org-show-siblings '((default . nil) (isearch t))
+(defcustom org-show-siblings '((default . nil) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump t))
   "Non-nil means show all sibling heading when revealing a location.
 Org-mode often shows locations in an org-mode file which might have
 been invisible before.  When this is set, the sibling of the current entry

On 21 mrt. 2013, at 12:59, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/03/13 12:38, Carsten Dominik wrote:

>> I should have, but I have never done it.
>>
>>> Well, you can try, or else I'll do it.
>
> I could, and I would (I was looking for an excuse for a long time), but I have no time before
> middle next week. I can put it into my TODO items for then.
>
> I just relised, I was only registered to repo.or.cz - but I will register as described at
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-git.html
>
> If it should be up earlier, please feel free to do it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

>>> - Carsten
>>

>> Rainer

> - --
> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
> (Germany)
>
> Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
> Stellenbosch University
> South Africa
>
> Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
> Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
> Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
>
> Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
>
> email:      Rainer@krugs.de
>
> Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-21 16:10                   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-03-21 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: Rainer, Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:

>> Good - May I suggest, that you write a step - by step howto and mail
>> it here or even add it to
>> worg? This would be a useful addition.
>
> I adapted this thread the best I could. Feel free to do with it what you
> wish.
>
> QUESTION
>
> How do I restore the state of my buffer where I left it?
>
> ANSWER
>
> When Emacs first visits an Org file, the global state is set to
> OVERVIEW, i.e., only the top level headlines are visible.
>
> If you wish Emacs to restore the position of point where you left it in
> your previous session, add the following code to your .emacs:
>
> (require 'saveplace)
> (setq-default save-place t)
>
> If you wish Org-mode to restore the folded state of the buffer (not just
> the position of point), you can either use customize, or add the following
> to .emacs:
>
> (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))

This doesn't work for me:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp t)
  mapcar(#[(f) "\bT	\b\x1a\306\n!\204

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-22 16:36                     ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-03-22 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye, Org Mode

Thomas,

Could you provide a recipe? As a test, I ran Emacs with just the following
code in my .emacs:

(require 'saveplace)
(setq-default save-place t)

(setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))

Emacs ran without any errors, and I made a test.org file, created multiple
headlines, and left point in the middle of a paragraph. Everything restored
fine after closing and revisiting the file.

I was hoping someone else would jump in and interpret those debugging
messages, because I'm not proficient enough in Emacs Lisp yet, nor familiar
enough with the org-mode code base. All I can do is try and reproduce your
error. The code seems to be robust, though.

Tried my best with what I have,

42

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-22 21:30                       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-03-22 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: Org Mode

Aloha 42,

42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:

> Thomas,
>
> Could you provide a recipe? As a test, I ran Emacs with just the following
> code in my .emacs:
>
> (require 'saveplace)
> (setq-default save-place t)
>
> (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))
>
> Emacs ran without any errors, and I made a test.org file, created multiple
> headlines, and left point in the middle of a paragraph. Everything restored
> fine after closing and revisiting the file.
>
> I was hoping someone else would jump in and interpret those debugging
> messages, because I'm not proficient enough in Emacs Lisp yet, nor familiar
> enough with the org-mode code base. All I can do is try and reproduce your
> error. The code seems to be robust, though.
>
> Tried my best with what I have,
>
> 42

Thanks for looking into this.  I found some time to investigate and
haven't been able to reproduce the problem.  It all seems to work as
advertised (and I like it).

Sorry for the noise.

Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-03-22 22:24                         ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-03-22 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org Mode

Thomas,

Glad to hear. I'm quite pleased with this functionality: given that I am
always in the midst of some writing / analysis project, it has been a major
improvement. Already got one of my friends to instantly adopt it.

My only complaint is that I cannot momentarily enslave all my friends and
relatives and ram Emacs down their throats. I wish I could be a
totalitarian for just one day.

Living the high life in org-mode,

42

2013/3/22 Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com>

> Aloha 42,
>
> 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Thomas,
> >
> > Could you provide a recipe? As a test, I ran Emacs with just the
> following
> > code in my .emacs:
> >
> > (require 'saveplace)
> > (setq-default save-place t)
> >
> > (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))
> >
> > Emacs ran without any errors, and I made a test.org file, created
> multiple
> > headlines, and left point in the middle of a paragraph. Everything
> restored
> > fine after closing and revisiting the file.
> >
> > I was hoping someone else would jump in and interpret those debugging
> > messages, because I'm not proficient enough in Emacs Lisp yet, nor
> familiar
> > enough with the org-mode code base. All I can do is try and reproduce
> your
> > error. The code seems to be robust, though.
> >
> > Tried my best with what I have,
> >
> > 42
> >

> Thanks for looking into this.  I found some time to investigate and
> haven't been able to reproduce the problem.  It all seems to work as
> advertised (and I like it).
>
> Sorry for the noise.
>
> Tom
>

> --
> Thomas S. Dye
> http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: saving state of buffer
@ 2013-04-06  1:03                             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-06  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: 42 147, Rainer, Org Mode

Hi Carsten,

> Here is a patch that would change the default values for bookmark-jump and saveplace.
> Bastien, what do you think?

I think it's good, I've applied this -- thanks!

--
 Bastien