* <title> vs document heading in HTML export
@ 2008-02-11 11:46 Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-02-11 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Two feature requests: please would it be possible to:

  a) control what goes in <title> separately from the document header
     (the text inside the first <h1> by default), and

  b) wrap the initial #+TEXT inside a CSS class?

Would be much appreciated if it's easy to do, thanks!

* Re: <title> vs document heading in HTML export
@ 2008-02-12  9:27 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-12  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam,

On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:

> Two feature requests: please would it be possible to:
>
> a) control what goes in <title> separately from the document header
>    (the text inside the first <h1> by default), and

Would you care to suggest a syntax for this?

> b) wrap the initial #+TEXT inside a CSS class?

Sure.  What should be the name for this?  Can you sugest the
detailed html (span, or whatever) you propose?  Dont forget:  I am
a total moron when it comes to HTML.

- Carsten

* Re: <title> vs document heading in HTML export
@ 2008-02-12 10:01   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-12 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
>
>> Two feature requests: please would it be possible to:
>>
>> a) control what goes in <title> separately from the document header
>>    (the text inside the first <h1> by default), and
>
> Would you care to suggest a syntax for this?

I wonder why do you need this, Adam.  The content of <title>...</title>
is only displayed on a few nearly-invisible locations and indexation is
not really an issue, I guess.

--
Bastien

* Re: <title> vs document heading in HTML export
@ 2008-02-12 10:13     ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-02-12 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>>> a) control what goes in <title> separately from the document header
>>>    (the text inside the first <h1> by default), and
>>
>> Would you care to suggest a syntax for this?
>
> I wonder why do you need this, Adam.  The content of <title>...</title>
> is only displayed on a few nearly-invisible locations and indexation is
> not really an issue, I guess.

Playing devils advocate:

http://www.julian-bez.de/blog/2005/02/15/how-to-use-the-title-tag/

Phil
--
 Phil Jackson
 http://www.shellarchive.co.uk

* Re: <title> vs document heading in HTML export
@ 2008-02-12 12:23       ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-12 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phil Jackson <phil@shellarchive.co.uk> writes:

>>> Would you care to suggest a syntax for this?
>>
>> I wonder why do you need this, Adam.  The content of <title>...</title>
>> is only displayed on a few nearly-invisible locations and indexation is
>> not really an issue, I guess.
>
> Playing devils advocate:
>
> http://www.julian-bez.de/blog/2005/02/15/how-to-use-the-title-tag/

Interesting.  But the issue discussed in this blog entry is more a
to-have-or-not-to-have issue.  The point Adam is making is to have
two different titles, one for the <title> tag, another for the first
headline of the webpage itself.

After thinking of it, I can see one reason to justify having two titles:
one might want to have a very long and descriptive title in the <title>
tag, while saving space and having a more contextual-relevant title in
as the first headline.

For example

<title>This is MY blog! -- And this is the first entry of my blog</title>

and

<h1 class="title">And this is the first entry of my blog</h1>

But I'm still a bit skeptical many people would use this.  Maybe my
imagination is just a bit short on this.

The example above suggests this syntax:

#+TITLE_TAG_FORMAT: This is MY blog! -- %t

  %t = the title of the page (as in #+TITLE:)
  %a = the author

Bastien

* Re: <title> vs document heading in HTML export
@ 2008-04-19 11:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-19 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam,

I did send this email to you a while ago, but it seems to me that you
missed it.

Second try...

- Carsten