* bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
       [not found] <51B9C912.4050100@redhat.com>
@ 2013-06-25 11:07 ` Petr Hracek
       [not found] ` <51C979DF.9080106@redhat.com>
From: Petr Hracek @ 2013-06-25 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 14605

On 06/13/2013 03:28 PM, Petr Hracek wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I would like to export some .org file into .pdf file.
> This should also open PDF after export is done but it does not.
>
> This is done by command C-c C-e d.
> In some case emacs freezes.
>
> Could you please help me?

Hi

I have find out that if file org/org.el where are defined variables like
org-file-apps
is mentioned
("\\.pdf\\'" . default)

When I changed them to e.g xpdf then pdf file is openned properly.

--
Best regards / S pozdravem
Petr Hracek

@ 2013-08-13 13:14   ` Petr Hracek
       [not found]   ` <520A312B.5080003@redhat.com>
From: Petr Hracek @ 2013-08-13 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 14605

Hi,

I have browsed the lisp code of org.el
where  is mentioned:
"External applications for opening `file:path' items in a document.
Org-mode uses system defaults for different file types, but
you can use this variable to set the application for a given file
extension.  The entries in this list are cons cells where the car identifies
files and the cdr the corresponding command.  Possible values for the
file identifier are
  \"string\"    A string as a file identifier can be interpreted in
different
                ways, depending on its contents:

                - Alphanumeric characters only:
                  Match links with this file extension.
                  Example: (\"pdf\" . \"evince %s\")
                           to open PDFs with evince.

What does it mean system defaults?
What command is used for getting default programs?
xdg-mine or another?
Thank you in advance

greetings
Petr

@ 2013-08-17 12:31     ` Bastien
       [not found]     ` <6CD2860F-6518-4BC6-B431-507BB088B588@gmail.com>
From: Bastien @ 2013-08-17 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Hracek; +Cc: 14605-done

Hi Petr,

Petr Hracek <phracek@redhat.com> writes:

> "External applications for opening `file:path' items in a document.
> Org-mode uses system defaults for different file types, but
> you can use this variable to set the application for a given file
> extension.  The entries in this list are cons cells where the car identifies
> files and the cdr the corresponding command.  Possible values for the
> file identifier are
>  \"string\"    A string as a file identifier can be interpreted in
> different
>                ways, depending on its contents:
>
>                - Alphanumeric characters only:
>                  Match links with this file extension.
>                  Example: (\"pdf\" . \"evince %s\")
>                           to open PDFs with evince.
>
> What does it mean system defaults?

It means mailcap.  Org relies on mailcap.el behind the scene.

> What command is used for getting default programs?
> xdg-mine or another?

Nope, mailcap.

> Thank you in advance

Best,

--
 Bastien

* bug#14605: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
       [not found]   ` <520A312B.5080003@redhat.com>
@ 2013-09-02  5:35     ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]     ` <6CD2860F-6518-4BC6-B431-507BB088B588@gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-02  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Hracek; +Cc: 14605

On 13.8.2013, at 15:14, Petr Hracek <phracek@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have browsed the lisp code of org.el
> where  is mentioned:
> "External applications for opening `file:path' items in a document.
> Org-mode uses system defaults for different file types, but
> you can use this variable to set the application for a given file
> extension.  The entries in this list are cons cells where the car identifies
> files and the cdr the corresponding command.  Possible values for the
> file identifier are
> \"string\"    A string as a file identifier can be interpreted in different
>               ways, depending on its contents:
>
>               - Alphanumeric characters only:
>                 Match links with this file extension.
>                 Example: (\"pdf\" . \"evince %s\")
>                          to open PDFs with evince.
>
> What does it mean system defaults?
> What command is used for getting default programs?
> xdg-mine or another?
> Thank you in advance

Hi Petr,

these defaults come from

`org-file-apps-defaults-macosx'
`org-file-apps-defaults-windowsnt'
`org-file-apps-defaults-gnu'

They are basically the "open" commands for MacOS X and Windows, and mailcap for Unix/Linux.

Hope this helps

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-02  8:34       ` Jambunathan K
       [not found]       ` <8738pnlj09.fsf@gmail.com>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-02  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Petr Hracek, 14605

> They are basically the "open" commands for MacOS X and Windows, and
> mailcap for Unix/Linux.

The suggestion below is met with some approval in the Orgmode mailist
earlier.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-07/msg00407.html

Here I go.

Turn `org-file-apps-defaults-gnu' (which is now a defconst) in to
defcustom and make xdg-open the default (or make a drop down list with
gnome-open, kde-open for people who don't have xdg-utils insalled) .

    (defconst org-file-apps-defaults-gnu
      '((remote . emacs)
        (system . mailcap)
        (t . mailcap))
      "Default file applications on a UNIX or GNU/Linux system.
    See `org-file-apps'.")

    (custom-set-variables
     '(org-file-apps
       (quote
        ((auto-mode . emacs)
         ("\\.mm\\'" . default)
         ("\\.x?html?\\'" . default)
         ("\\.pdf\\'" . default))))
     '(org-file-apps-defaults-gnu
       (quote
        ((remote . emacs)
         (system . "xdg-open %s")
         (t . mailcap))) t))

Anyways, opening a file outside of Emacs is not specific to Org.  Other
applications can open facility, if available right within Emacs core.

For some discussion surrounging - `open-file' - see

@ 2013-09-02  8:44         ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]         ` <81237114-C902-40D8-95F9-70AA2055C4D3@gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-02  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Petr Hracek, 14605

On Sep 2, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> They are basically the "open" commands for MacOS X and Windows, and
>> mailcap for Unix/Linux.
>
> The suggestion below is met with some approval in the Orgmode mailist
> earlier.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-07/msg00407.html
>
> Here I go.
>
> Turn `org-file-apps-defaults-gnu' (which is now a defconst) in to
> defcustom and make xdg-open the default (or make a drop down list with
> gnome-open, kde-open for people who don't have xdg-utils insalled) .
>
>    (defconst org-file-apps-defaults-gnu
>      '((remote . emacs)
>        (system . mailcap)
>        (t . mailcap))
>      "Default file applications on a UNIX or GNU/Linux system.
>    See `org-file-apps'.")
>

>    (custom-set-variables
>     '(org-file-apps
>       (quote
>        ((auto-mode . emacs)
>         ("\\.mm\\'" . default)
>         ("\\.x?html?\\'" . default)
>         ("\\.pdf\\'" . default))))
>     '(org-file-apps-defaults-gnu
>       (quote
>        ((remote . emacs)
>         (system . "xdg-open %s")
>         (t . mailcap))) t))

I have not followed the discussion earlier.  The problem I see is that I do not know how widely available these commands are on Linux.  Maybe we can built the default value using executable-find or something like this?

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-02  9:40           ` Jambunathan K
       [not found]           ` <20130902094701.GI2828__30307.5940967121$1378115340$gmane$org@kuru.dyndns-at-home.com>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: 14605

>>    (defconst org-file-apps-defaults-gnu
       ^^^^^^^^

That's a real issue.  As for what defaults to use, their availability
and installability that is a secondary issue altogether.

If I were you, I will plug in xdg-open there, issue user-error and force
the user to remedy the situation.  You will hear if things don't work.

Anyways what ever is done, we will be doing no worse (but only better
than) the current defaults.

* Re: bug#14605: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
       [not found]         ` <81237114-C902-40D8-95F9-70AA2055C4D3@gmail.com>
@ 2013-09-02  9:47           ` Suvayu Ali
                               ` (2 more replies)
       [not found]           ` <20130902094701.GI2828__30307.5940967121$1378115340$gmane$org@kuru.dyndns-at-home.com>
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-02  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, 14605

Hi Carsten,

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 10:44:39AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >     '(org-file-apps-defaults-gnu
> >       (quote
> >        ((remote . emacs)
> >         (system . "xdg-open %s")
> >         (t . mailcap))) t))
> >

> I have not followed the discussion earlier.  The problem I see is that
> I do not know how widely available these commands are on Linux.  Maybe
> we can built the default value using executable-find or something like
> this?

I think I can shed some light on the availability of xdg-open.  It is
provided by xdg-utils, part of the freedesktop specification.  It is
expected to be present in most desktop systems (almost anything with a
GUI installed).  It is a direct dependency for kde-libs, gnome-libs, and
many desktop applications.

The introduction in this Archlinux wiki page gives a very succint
summary: <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xdg-open>

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* bug#14605: bug#14605: bug#14605: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-02  9:55             ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]             ` <1B84ED41-BCE5-46AE-BBFB-92D656CD373E@gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-02  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: 14605

On Sep 2, 2013, at 11:47 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 10:44:39AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 2, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>    '(org-file-apps-defaults-gnu
>>>      (quote
>>>       ((remote . emacs)
>>>        (system . "xdg-open %s")
>>>        (t . mailcap))) t))
>>>

>> I have not followed the discussion earlier.  The problem I see is that
>> I do not know how widely available these commands are on Linux.  Maybe
>> we can built the default value using executable-find or something like
>> this?
>
> I think I can shed some light on the availability of xdg-open.  It is
> provided by xdg-utils, part of the freedesktop specification.  It is
> expected to be present in most desktop systems (almost anything with a
> GUI installed).  It is a direct dependency for kde-libs, gnome-libs, and
> many desktop applications.

I just love it when someone give such a concrete and useful answer.  Thank you!

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-02 10:08             ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]             ` <1B84ED41-BCE5-46AE-BBFB-92D656CD373E@gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-02 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: 14605

Hi everyone,

OK, we now use xdg-open when available on a Linux system.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-02 10:12             ` Jambunathan K
       [not found]             ` <87li3fjzw8.fsf@gmail.com>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-02 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 14605

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> It is expected to be present in most desktop systems (almost anything
> with a GUI installed).

I use Debian 6.05 (Squeeze) + XFCE.  I had to install `xdg-open' by
hand.  (i.e., It is not installed during default installation).

xdg-open is just a shell script and tries lots of different things based
on Desktop Environment.  Why should Org re-implement the wheel?

When the variable is configurable, why hesitate pluggin in *better*
default, even if it be not-installed.

Can Org really do all this?

----------------
- kde-open "$1"
- kfmclient openURL "$1"
- kfmclient exec "$1"
----------------
- gvfs-open "$1"
- gnome-open "$1"
----------------
- exo-open "$1"
----------------
- Whatever is registered with xdg-mime registry
----------------
- run-mailcap --action=view "$file"
- mimeopen -n "$file"
- sensible-browser
----------------

* Re: bug#14605: bug#14605: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-02 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: 14605

@ 2013-09-02 10:20               ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-02 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: 14605

> OK, we now use xdg-open when available on a Linux system.

The variable MUST be a defcustom.

* bug#14605: bug#14605: bug#14605: bug#14605: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
       [not found]             ` <1B84ED41-BCE5-46AE-BBFB-92D656CD373E@gmail.com>
@ 2013-09-02 16:22               ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-09-02 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: 14605

Hi Carsten,
just by chance I read this thread.

It might be a good idea to announce this somehow for package maintainers on
a prominent place in the change-log of the next official release. Some
Linux package systems do allow recommendation on packages.
As I understood the xdg-utils package is not mandatory for using org-mode,
because it would work without xdg-open too. However, we could ask the
package maintainers to make a recommendation to install xdg-util whenever,
org-mode gets installed. Just a nice customer service ;)

BTW: Emacs itself does *not* require xdg-utils or refer to it as optional.
That would have made it even easier to assume it is already on all Linux
systems.

All the best

Torsten

On 2 September 2013 12:08, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> OK, we now use xdg-open when available on a Linux system.
>
> Thanks to everyone for the input.
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Sep 2, 2013, at 11:47 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Carsten,
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 10:44:39AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> >> I have not followed the discussion earlier.  The problem I see is that
> >> I do not know how widely available these commands are on Linux.  Maybe
> >> we can built the default value using executable-find or something like
> >> this?
> >
> > I think I can shed some light on the availability of xdg-open.  It is
> > provided by xdg-utils, part of the freedesktop specification.  It is
> > expected to be present in most desktop systems (almost anything with a
> > GUI installed).  It is a direct dependency for kde-libs, gnome-libs, and
> > many desktop applications.
> >
> > The introduction in this Archlinux wiki page gives a very succint
> > summary: <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xdg-open>
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > --
> > Suvayu
> >
> > Open source is the future. It sets us free.

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-02 16:54               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-09-02 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik writes:
> OK, we now use xdg-open when available on a Linux system.

The availability of xdg-open has nothing to do with whether or not you
are running Emacs on a Linux system.  Indeed, even on a system where it
is available, it won't do anything useful if you're running from a
console.  While I think it's a good default for someone using a desktop
that conforms to XDG standards, there should be a check if in fact Emacs
is running on such a desktop.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-02 19:05                 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-02 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> While I think it's a good default for someone using a desktop
> that conforms to XDG standards, there should be a check if in fact Emacs
> is running on such a desktop.

What desktops you have in mind?

How can they be checked for?

On an Emacs running within a console, can one really "view" say a PDF
file.

I am using Linux only for past year or so.  So my understanding of Linux
environment is very limited.

> Regards,
> Achim.

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-02 20:54                 ` Carsten Dominik
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-02 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2.9.2013, at 18:54, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik writes:
>> OK, we now use xdg-open when available on a Linux system.
>
> The availability of xdg-open has nothing to do with whether or not you
> are running Emacs on a Linux system.  Indeed, even on a system where it
> is available, it won't do anything useful if you're running from a
> console.  While I think it's a good default for someone using a desktop
> that conforms to XDG standards, there should be a check if in fact Emacs
> is running on such a desktop.

Hi Achim,

thanks for this input.  THis makes it more complicated.  Do you know how I would test this?  I do know about the variable window-system, but that will also return nil when Emacs is running in an xterm, even though xdg-open would be working in this case.

Since we are close to a release, maybe I should revert the commit for now and solve this with more time.

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-02 23:27                   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-02 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Achim, Carsten,

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 10:54:13PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On 2.9.2013, at 18:54, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>
> > Carsten Dominik writes:
> >> OK, we now use xdg-open when available on a Linux system.
> >
> > The availability of xdg-open has nothing to do with whether or not you
> > are running Emacs on a Linux system.  Indeed, even on a system where it
> > is available, it won't do anything useful if you're running from a
> > console.  While I think it's a good default for someone using a desktop
> > that conforms to XDG standards, there should be a check if in fact Emacs
> > is running on such a desktop.
>
> thanks for this input.  THis makes it more complicated.  Do you know
> how I would test this?  I do know about the variable window-system,
> but that will also return nil when Emacs is running in an xterm, even
> though xdg-open would be working in this case.

I think there are four cases of running from a console,

1. a true terminal (the one you get with Ctrl+Alt-Fn, or in runlevel 3)
2. a remote console without X forwarding
3. a remote console with X forwarding
4. a virtual terminal (terminal emulator in a graphical desktop)

Now xdg-open will not work for (1-2) (for different reasons), but will
work for (3-4).  I think it is reasonable to expect if someone chooses
"export and open", they are on a graphical desktop and not on (1-2).  As
for (3), I think even in that case most people will choose to just
export, and open in some other way (none of us like X forwarding do we?
;)).

As for desktop conformance, Gnome, KDE, XFCE (and by induction LXDE)
conforms.  I think the key is what happens when it does not: xdg-open
fallsback to its own settings.  Quoting the Archlinux wiki summary:

  Inside a desktop environment (e.g. GNOME, KDE, Xfce, etc.), xdg-open
  simply passes the arguments to that desktop environment's file-opener
  application (gvfs-open, kde-open, or exo-open, respectively), which
  means that the associations are left up to the desktop
  environment. When no desktop environment is detected (for example when
  one runs a standalone window manager, e.g. Openbox), xdg-open will use
  its own configuration files.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Given this fallback, I don't think there is much to worry about.  If it
is there, and the user is on a graphical desktop (3-4), it will work.
If it is absent, we still have mailcap.  Nothing to lose here.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

@ 2013-09-03  4:59               ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-03  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: 14605

> OK, we now use xdg-open when available on a Linux system.

Just realized that you have reverted the commit (a bit too early).

Emacs goes through a long pre-test cycle for a reason.  There is a
plenty of room to test the waters on how useful or problematic xdg-open
is.

Anyways...

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-03  7:52                   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-03  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 2, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2.9.2013, at 18:54, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik writes:
>>> OK, we now use xdg-open when available on a Linux system.
>>
>> The availability of xdg-open has nothing to do with whether or not you
>> are running Emacs on a Linux system.  Indeed, even on a system where it
>> is available, it won't do anything useful if you're running from a
>> console.  While I think it's a good default for someone using a desktop
>> that conforms to XDG standards, there should be a check if in fact Emacs
>> is running on such a desktop.
>
> Hi Achim,
>
> thanks for this input.  THis makes it more complicated.  Do you know how I would test this?  I do know about the variable window-system, but that will also return nil when Emacs is running in an xterm, even though xdg-open would be working in this case.

On the other hand, I guess mailcap would suffer from the same problems with console and other non-desktop terminals?

Maybe I should revert the revert and see what happens.

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-03  8:44                     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-03  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 09:52:26AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The availability of xdg-open has nothing to do with whether or not you
> >> are running Emacs on a Linux system.  Indeed, even on a system where it
> >> is available, it won't do anything useful if you're running from a
> >> console.  While I think it's a good default for someone using a desktop
> >> that conforms to XDG standards, there should be a check if in fact Emacs
> >> is running on such a desktop.
> >
> > Hi Achim,
> >
> > thanks for this input.  THis makes it more complicated.  Do you know how I would test this?  I do know about the variable window-system, but that will also return nil when Emacs is running in an xterm, even though xdg-open would be working in this case.
>
> On the other hand, I guess mailcap would suffer from the same problems with console and other non-desktop terminals?

Indeed!  I tried to breakdown the cases for emacs running in the
terminal in my other response[1].  My conclusion was unless someone is
running in a true (graphicsless) terminal, or a remote session without X
forwarding, it should work.  And for these two cases, the user is aware
there is no GUI available, so it does not make sense for the user to
"export and open".

Hope this helps,

Footnotes:

[1] <http://mid.gmane.org/20130902232739.GO2828@kuru.dyndns-at-home.com>

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-03  9:12                   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-09-03  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Do you know how I would test this?

Something like this:

$ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
xdg-settings: unknown desktop environment

There ought to be some better way maybe, but you'd at least find out if the
XDG utilities are in path and think the environment is set up correctly.
Please not that XDG cautions against using its services for root, so that'd
be another vector to check.

> Since we are close to a release, maybe I should revert
> the commit for now and solve this with more time.

Or you could leave it in and see who complains.  The instances where
xdg-open doesn't work or is not correctly configured will probably be in
multi-user / corporate environments where it is unlikely that the newest Org
or Emacs is installed anyway.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-03  9:57                     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-03  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 3.9.2013, at 11:12, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Do you know how I would test this?
>
> Something like this:
>
> $ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
> xdg-settings: unknown desktop environment
>
> There ought to be some better way maybe, but you'd at least find out if the
> XDG utilities are in path and think the environment is set up correctly.
> Please not that XDG cautions against using its services for root, so that'd
> be another vector to check.
>
>> Since we are close to a release, maybe I should revert
>> the commit for now and solve this with more time.
>
> Or you could leave it in and see who complains.

Yup, this is what I have done now.

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-03 13:35               ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-03 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, 14605

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 03:42:23PM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > It is expected to be present in most desktop systems (almost anything
> > with a GUI installed).
>
> I use Debian 6.05 (Squeeze) + XFCE.  I had to install `xdg-open' by
> hand.  (i.e., It is not installed during default installation).

XFCE (and LXDE) uses exo-open.  Although it does not require xdg-open,
it is compliant.  Meaning, if xdg-utils is installed, xdg-open will
work.  Gnome, KDE, on the other hand require it on most distributions
(Fedora is an example).

> xdg-open is just a shell script and tries lots of different things based
> on Desktop Environment.  Why should Org re-implement the wheel?

Exactly!  Since you look for the executable before calling, there is
nothing to lose.  If xdg-open is present, it will work if there is a
GUI.

Cheers,

PS: I'm an XFCE (with xdg-utils) and emacs -nw user on Fedora.

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-03 17:14                   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-09-03 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jambunathan K writes:
> On an Emacs running within a console, can one really "view" say a PDF
> file.

Yes, if it has graphics capabilities and the application knows how to
use them.  For a long time that was the only way to get graphics on UNIX
and it only changed when workstations(1) became available.  The local
tty available on Linux used to have it, not sure if it is still default.

(1) Workstation: originally defined as a microcomputer with "three M" —
one MFLOP, one Mpixel and one MWord of memory (sometimes MByte).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-17  4:42                     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-09-17  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Or you could leave it in and see who complains.  The instances where
> xdg-open doesn't work or is not correctly configured will probably be in
> multi-user / corporate environments where it is unlikely that the newest Org
> or Emacs is installed anyway.

Hi,

I'm running today's org with a recent emacs-snapshot in a single-user
linux environment (ubuntu 13.04).

xdg-open xxx.html works fine when run from the command line, but from
inside org-mode it seems to fail to run  In particular, html, odt and
pdf documents no longer seem to open from the export menu, even though
the log in *Messages* reports that the relevant command
("xdg-open-my-org-file.html") has been run.

Can I help diagnose this?  toggle-debug-on-error doesn't give me any extra info.

Thanks!
Matt

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-17  6:01                       ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-09-17  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>>
>> Or you could leave it in and see who complains.  The instances where
>> xdg-open doesn't work or is not correctly configured will probably be in
>> multi-user / corporate environments where it is unlikely that the newest Org
>> or Emacs is installed anyway.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm running today's org with a recent emacs-snapshot in a single-user
> linux environment (ubuntu 13.04).
>
> xdg-open xxx.html works fine when run from the command line, but from
> inside org-mode it seems to fail to run  In particular, html, odt and
> pdf documents no longer seem to open from the export menu, even though
> the log in *Messages* reports that the relevant command
> ("xdg-open-my-org-file.html") has been run.
>
> Can I help diagnose this?  toggle-debug-on-error doesn't give me any extra info.

hmm, it looks like xdg-open isn't the culprit -- no matter what I set
in org-file-apps, the command doesn't seem to run.

@ 2013-09-17  6:34                       ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-09-17  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: Org Mode

@ 2013-09-17  7:16                         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-17  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Achim Gratz, Org Mode

On 17.9.2013, at 08:01, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Or you could leave it in and see who complains.  The instances where
>>> xdg-open doesn't work or is not correctly configured will probably be in
>>> multi-user / corporate environments where it is unlikely that the newest Org
>>> or Emacs is installed anyway.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running today's org with a recent emacs-snapshot in a single-user
>> linux environment (ubuntu 13.04).
>>
>> xdg-open xxx.html works fine when run from the command line, but from
>> inside org-mode it seems to fail to run  In particular, html, odt and
>> pdf documents no longer seem to open from the export menu, even though
>> the log in *Messages* reports that the relevant command
>> ("xdg-open-my-org-file.html") has been run.

Is there anyone else who has tried the xgd-open way to follow links with Org?

Cheers

- Carsten

>> Can I help diagnose this?  toggle-debug-on-error doesn't give me any extra info.
>>

> hmm, it looks like xdg-open isn't the culprit -- no matter what I set
> in org-file-apps, the command doesn't seem to run.
>> Thanks!
>> Matt

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-17  8:04                           ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2013-09-17  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 17.9.2013, at 08:01, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm running today's org with a recent emacs-snapshot in a
>>> single-user linux environment (ubuntu 13.04).
>>>
>>> xdg-open xxx.html works fine when run from the command line, but
>>> from inside org-mode it seems to fail to run In particular, html,
>>> odt and pdf documents no longer seem to open from the export menu,
>>> even though the log in *Messages* reports that the relevant command
>>> ("xdg-open-my-org-file.html") has been run.
>
> Is there anyone else who has tried the xgd-open way to follow links
> with Org?

Yes, I have the same symptoms as Matt.

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
Org-mode 8.1.1  (the latest ELPA package fails in the same way)

xdg-open works on the command line but not through the org-export menu -
pdfs and html files don't open automatically.  There are no error messages.

atb

Glyn

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-17 13:56                             ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-17 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:04:45AM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On 17.9.2013, at 08:01, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there anyone else who has tried the xgd-open way to follow links
> > with Org?
> >

> Yes, I have the same symptoms as Matt.
>
> GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
> Org-mode 8.1.1  (the latest ELPA package fails in the same way)
>
> xdg-open works on the command line but not through the org-export menu -
> pdfs and html files don't open automatically.  There are no error messages.

I see the same problem.  But I think this might be an Emacs issue; I
can't open a pdf from dired either (with & on a pdf file).  However I
can open it if I execute a shell command: M-! xdg-open file.pdf RET.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-17 19:34                               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-17 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 17.9.2013, at 15:56, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:04:45AM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Is there anyone else who has tried the xgd-open way to follow links
>>> with Org?
>>>

>> Yes, I have the same symptoms as Matt.
>>
>> GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
>> Org-mode 8.1.1  (the latest ELPA package fails in the same way)
>>
>> xdg-open works on the command line but not through the org-export menu -
>> pdfs and html files don't open automatically.  There are no error messages.
>
> I see the same problem.  But I think this might be an Emacs issue; I
> can't open a pdf from dired either (with & on a pdf file).  However I
> can open it if I execute a shell command: M-! xdg-open file.pdf RET.

Do I need to conclude that, for the time being, xdg-open has to be removed from the default value of org-file-apps?

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-17 19:42                                 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-17 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:34:34PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On 17.9.2013, at 15:56, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, I have the same symptoms as Matt.
> >>
> >> GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
> >> Org-mode 8.1.1  (the latest ELPA package fails in the same way)
> >>
> >> xdg-open works on the command line but not through the org-export menu -
> >> pdfs and html files don't open automatically.  There are no error messages.
> >
> > I see the same problem.  But I think this might be an Emacs issue; I
> > can't open a pdf from dired either (with & on a pdf file).  However I
> > can open it if I execute a shell command: M-! xdg-open file.pdf RET.
>
> Do I need to conclude that, for the time being, xdg-open has to be removed from the default value of org-file-apps?

Yes, I think so.  The problem is consistently repeatable.

It's strange though.  I'll try to investigate.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-17 19:53                                   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-17 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 17.9.2013, at 21:42, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:34:34PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

>>> I see the same problem.  But I think this might be an Emacs issue; I
>>> can't open a pdf from dired either (with & on a pdf file).  However I
>>> can open it if I execute a shell command: M-! xdg-open file.pdf RET.
>>
>> Do I need to conclude that, for the time being, xdg-open has to be removed from the default value of org-file-apps?
>
> Yes, I think so.  The problem is consistently repeatable.
>
> It's strange though.  I'll try to investigate.

Hi Suvayu,

Thank you!

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-17 20:21                                   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-17 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Some comments and a question.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:42:50PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:34:34PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> >
> > On 17.9.2013, at 15:56, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I see the same problem.  But I think this might be an Emacs issue; I
> > > can't open a pdf from dired either (with & on a pdf file).  However I
> > > can open it if I execute a shell command: M-! xdg-open file.pdf RET.
>
> It's strange though.  I'll try to investigate.

I can consistently repeat this outside of Org.  I am trying with
`dired-do-shell-command'.

Steps:
1) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open" nil '("file.pdf")), the script
   runs and opens the pdf file.
2) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open &" nil '("file.pdf")), this runs
   the script too but the pdf is not opened.

(I know the scripts run because I turned on debugging in the scripts)

I'm assuming Org opens it asynchronously.  What lisp function does Org
use?  A weekly related issue: when following links to pdf files, I have
the same problem.  When following https links I have no issues, they
open in my web browser as expected.  Does org use a similar mechanism
when following links?

Any thoughts?

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-17 20:31                                     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 17.9.2013, at 22:21, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some comments and a question.
>
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:42:50PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:

>> It's strange though.  I'll try to investigate.
>
> I can consistently repeat this outside of Org.  I am trying with
> `dired-do-shell-command'.
>
> Steps:
> 1) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open" nil '("file.pdf")), the script
>   runs and opens the pdf file.
> 2) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open &" nil '("file.pdf")), this runs
>   the script too but the pdf is not opened.
>
> (I know the scripts run because I turned on debugging in the scripts)
>
> I'm assuming Org opens it asynchronously.  What lisp function does Org
> use?

Org used start-process-shell-command, and this happens in
org-open-file, which is called for links to a file in org-open-at-point.

>  A weekly related issue: when following links to pdf files, I have
> the same problem.  When following https links I have no issues, they
> open in my web browser as expected.  Does org use a similar mechanism
> when following links?

http and https links are followed using browse-url.

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-17 21:25                                 ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2013-09-17 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 17.9.2013, at 15:56, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>>  Yes, I have the same symptoms as Matt.
>>>
>>> GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
>>> Org-mode 8.1.1 (the latest ELPA package fails in the same way)
>>>
>>> xdg-open works on the command line but not through the org-export
>>> menu - pdfs and html files don't open automatically.  There are no
>>> error messages.
>>  I see the same problem.  But I think this might be an Emacs issue;
>> I can't open a pdf from dired either (with & on a pdf file).
>> However I can open it if I execute a shell command: M-! xdg-open
>> file.pdf RET.
>
> Do I need to conclude that, for the time being, xdg-open has to be
> removed from the default value of org-file-apps?

That did the trick - pdf files now open as before, as do html exports.

Many thanks.

atb

Glyn

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-17 21:25                                       ` Suvayu Ali
                                                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-17 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode; +Cc: Glyn Millington, Carsten Dominik

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31:41PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On 17.9.2013, at 22:21, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I can consistently repeat this outside of Org.  I am trying with
> > `dired-do-shell-command'.
> >
> > Steps:
> > 1) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open" nil '("file.pdf")), the script
> >   runs and opens the pdf file.
> > 2) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open &" nil '("file.pdf")), this runs
> >   the script too but the pdf is not opened.
> >
> > (I know the scripts run because I turned on debugging in the scripts)
> >
> > I'm assuming Org opens it asynchronously.  What lisp function does Org
> > use?
>
> Org used start-process-shell-command, and this happens in
> org-open-file, which is called for links to a file in org-open-at-point.

I need some feedback from users using different desktop environments.
What DEs do you use, Matt, Glyn?

I am on XFCE.  For me xdg-open calls the internal function (defined in
the script), open_xfce.  Inside that function, exo-open is called.  This
is XFCE specific.  When I replace exo-open with say, evince, and open a
pdf file; start-process-shell-command works; with exo-open it doesn't.
I can repeat this for html files with Firefox.

I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just open
a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them
asynchronously with &.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-17 21:34                                         ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2013-09-17 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode, Glyn Millington, Carsten Dominik

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31:41PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>  On 17.9.2013, at 22:21, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >  I can consistently repeat this outside of Org.  I am trying with
>> > dired-do-shell-command'.
>> >
>> > Steps: 1) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open" nil '("file.pdf")),
>> > the script runs and opens the pdf file.  2)
>> > (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open &" nil '("file.pdf")), this runs
>> > the script too but the pdf is not opened.
>> >
>> > (I know the scripts run because I turned on debugging in the
>> > scripts)
>> >
>> > I'm assuming Org opens it asynchronously.  What lisp function does
>> > Org use?
>>  Org used start-process-shell-command, and this happens in
>> org-open-file, which is called for links to a file in
>> org-open-at-point.
>
> I need some feedback from users using different desktop environments.
> What DEs do you use, Matt, Glyn?

Xfce here too, on Arch linux.

> I am on XFCE.  For me xdg-open calls the internal function (defined in
> the script), open_xfce.  Inside that function, exo-open is called.
> This is XFCE specific.  When I replace exo-open with say, evince, and
> open a pdf file; start-process-shell-command works; with exo-open it
> doesn't.  I can repeat this for html files with Firefox.
>
> I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
> kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just
> open a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of
> them asynchronously with &.

If you don't get any other feedback I'll try again with KDE in the
morning - it's late here!

with thanks and best wishes

Glyn

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-17 22:10                                         ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-09-17 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode, Glyn Millington, Carsten Dominik

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31:41PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On 17.9.2013, at 22:21, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I can consistently repeat this outside of Org.  I am trying with
>> > `dired-do-shell-command'.
>> >
>> > Steps:
>> > 1) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open" nil '("file.pdf")), the script
>> >   runs and opens the pdf file.
>> > 2) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open &" nil '("file.pdf")), this runs
>> >   the script too but the pdf is not opened.
>> >
>> > (I know the scripts run because I turned on debugging in the scripts)
>> >
>> > I'm assuming Org opens it asynchronously.  What lisp function does Org
>> > use?
>>
>> Org used start-process-shell-command, and this happens in
>> org-open-file, which is called for links to a file in org-open-at-point.
>
> I need some feedback from users using different desktop environments.
> What DEs do you use, Matt, Glyn?
>
> I am on XFCE.  For me xdg-open calls the internal function (defined in
> the script), open_xfce.  Inside that function, exo-open is called.  This
> is XFCE specific.  When I replace exo-open with say, evince, and open a
> pdf file; start-process-shell-command works; with exo-open it doesn't.
> I can repeat this for html files with Firefox.
>
> I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
> kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just open
> a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them
> asynchronously with &.

I'm running unity in Ubuntu 13.04, which still is sorta descended from
gnome.  Neither xdg-open nor gnome-open seems to work (if I'm doing
this right in dired: navigate to a pdf/html file, type &, enter
xdg-open).

I have the feeling the problem is in emacs, org-open-file, or their
interaction.  It's definitely not in xdg-open/gnome-open themselves,
as they work fine from the command-line with M-! .

thanks guys,
Matt

@ 2013-09-17 22:11                                   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-09-17 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glyn Millington; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Glyn Millington
<glyn.millington@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 17.9.2013, at 15:56, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>  I see the same problem.  But I think this might be an Emacs issue;
>>> I can't open a pdf from dired either (with & on a pdf file).
>>> However I can open it if I execute a shell command: M-! xdg-open
>>> file.pdf RET.
>>
>> Do I need to conclude that, for the time being, xdg-open has to be
>> removed from the default value of org-file-apps?
>
> That did the trick - pdf files now open as before, as do html exports.

Glyn, can you just tell me what you set org-file-apps to? I wasn't
able to find a value that worked.  Thank you!

Matt

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-18  5:21                                     ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2013-09-18  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode, Glyn Millington

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Glyn Millington
> <glyn.millington@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Do I need to conclude that, for the time being, xdg-open has to be
>>> removed from the default value of org-file-apps?
>> That did the trick - pdf files now open as before, as do html
>> exports.
>

> Glyn, can you just tell me what you set org-file-apps to? I wasn't
> able to find a value that worked.  Thank you!

Having checked on the git page and seen that Carsten reverted the changes
that caused the problem, I cleared out my elpa installation and cloned
the git repository!  The value I now have, the default, is:

 ((auto-mode . emacs)
 ("\\.mm\\'" . default)
 ("\\.x?html?\\'" . default)
 ("\\.pdf\\'" . default))

The changes are listed here:

http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/?id=3f177965ee606a64e6fb6cc948a12f8f5a0290c4

diff --git a/lisp/org.el b/lisp/org.el
index 0cf141c..0762696 100644
--- a/lisp/org.el
+++ b/lisp/org.el
@@ -1899,13 +1899,9 @@ single keystroke rather than having to type \"yes\"."
:type 'regexp)
(defconst org-file-apps-defaults-gnu
- (append
- '((remote . emacs))
- (if (executable-find "xdg-open")
- '((system . "xdg-open %s")
- (t . "xdg-open %s"))
- '((system . mailcap)
- (t . mailcap))))

@ 2013-09-18  6:51                                           ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-18  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Emacs Org mode, Glyn Millington, Carsten Dominik

Hi,

I think I have tracked down the issue.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 06:10:02PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
> > kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just open
> > a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them
> > asynchronously with &.
>
> I'm running unity in Ubuntu 13.04, which still is sorta descended from
> gnome.  Neither xdg-open nor gnome-open seems to work (if I'm doing
> this right in dired: navigate to a pdf/html file, type &, enter
> xdg-open).
>
> I have the feeling the problem is in emacs, org-open-file, or their
> interaction.  It's definitely not in xdg-open/gnome-open themselves,
> as they work fine from the command-line with M-! .

Unfortunately this is a problem with most of the desktop specific *-open
commands.  Take a look at this post from emacs-devel (thanks to Glenn
for pointing me to it):

  <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-07/msg00279.html>

Essentially, running xdg-open asynchronously will not work for Desktop
Environments that use gvfs-open (Gnome, Unity, Mate, etc).  From the
looks of it, exo-open (XFCE) also suffers from the same problem.

That said, it would be nice if Glyn could try it on KDE for the sake of
completeness.  As per the emacs-devel post, kde-open should work.

Conclusion: it would have been nice, but we can't use xdg-open.  This
feels somewhat like the texi2dvi issue.  :-/

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-18  6:53                                             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-18  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode, Glyn Millington

On 18.9.2013, at 08:51, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think I have tracked down the issue.
>
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 06:10:02PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
>>> kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just open
>>> a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them
>>> asynchronously with &.
>>
>> I'm running unity in Ubuntu 13.04, which still is sorta descended from
>> gnome.  Neither xdg-open nor gnome-open seems to work (if I'm doing
>> this right in dired: navigate to a pdf/html file, type &, enter
>> xdg-open).
>>
>> I have the feeling the problem is in emacs, org-open-file, or their
>> interaction.  It's definitely not in xdg-open/gnome-open themselves,
>> as they work fine from the command-line with M-! .
>
> Unfortunately this is a problem with most of the desktop specific *-open
> commands.  Take a look at this post from emacs-devel (thanks to Glenn
> for pointing me to it):
>
>  <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-07/msg00279.html>
>
> Essentially, running xdg-open asynchronously will not work for Desktop
> Environments that use gvfs-open (Gnome, Unity, Mate, etc).  From the
> looks of it, exo-open (XFCE) also suffers from the same problem.
>
> That said, it would be nice if Glyn could try it on KDE for the sake of
> completeness.  As per the emacs-devel post, kde-open should work.
>
> Conclusion: it would have been nice, but we can't use xdg-open.  This
> feels somewhat like the texi2dvi issue.  :-/

Hi Suvayu,

thank you for spending the time to check this out.  This is too bad,
a general open command like we use it on Mac and Windows would have
been very nice.

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-18  8:28                                             ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2013-09-18  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode, Glyn Millington, Carsten Dominik

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Unfortunately this is a problem with most of the desktop specific
> *-open commands.  Take a look at this post from emacs-devel (thanks to
> Glenn for pointing me to it):
>
>   <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-07/msg00279.html>
>
> Essentially, running xdg-open asynchronously will not work for Desktop
> Environments that use gvfs-open (Gnome, Unity, Mate, etc).  From the
> looks of it, exo-open (XFCE) also suffers from the same problem.
>
> That said, it would be nice if Glyn could try it on KDE for the sake
> of completeness.  As per the emacs-devel post, kde-open should work.

Yes indeed - I just gave the elpa release (091620013) a spin on KDE and
both pdf and html files open nicely.

Many thanks

atb

Glyn

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-18  9:07                                         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-09-18  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I need some feedback from users using different desktop environments.

[...]

> I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
> kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just open
> a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them
> asynchronously with &.
>
> Cheers,

One more data point.  I don't use a desktop environment as such.  I use
/ratpoison/ as my window manager.  In my use case, on a system running
Ubuntu 13.04, xdg-open works perfectly fine, both synchronously (!) and
asynchronously (&), for all three file types listed above, bringing up
evince, libreoffice and firefox respectively.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.1.1-7-gaecdf5

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-18 12:14                                           ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-18 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode

Hi Eric,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:07:17AM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > I need some feedback from users using different desktop environments.
>
> [...]
>
> > I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
> > kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just open
> > a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them
> > asynchronously with &.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> One more data point.  I don't use a desktop environment as such.  I use
> /ratpoison/ as my window manager.  In my use case, on a system running
> Ubuntu 13.04, xdg-open works perfectly fine, both synchronously (!) and
> asynchronously (&), for all three file types listed above, bringing up
> evince, libreoffice and firefox respectively.

I think that is expected.  The bug is in the desktop specific open
commands.  Since you use none, generic open is used.  That is simply a
shell function, and does the right thing.

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-19  2:25                                             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-19  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

On 18.9.2013, at 14:14, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:07:17AM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I need some feedback from users using different desktop environments.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
>>> kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just open
>>> a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them
>>> asynchronously with &.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> One more data point.  I don't use a desktop environment as such.  I use
>> /ratpoison/ as my window manager.  In my use case, on a system running
>> Ubuntu 13.04, xdg-open works perfectly fine, both synchronously (!) and
>> asynchronously (&), for all three file types listed above, bringing up
>> evince, libreoffice and firefox respectively.
>
> I think that is expected.  The bug is in the desktop specific open
> commands.  Since you use none, generic open is used.  That is simply a
> shell function, and does the right thing.

Hi,

Is there a generic open command in Linux?  Why don't we use this instead?

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-19  4:34                                               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-09-19  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 18.9.2013, at 14:14, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that is expected.  The bug is in the desktop specific open
>> commands.  Since you use none, generic open is used.  That is simply a
>> shell function, and does the right thing.
>
> Is there a generic open command in Linux?  Why don't we use this instead?

Not really. There is a shell function called open_generic inside of
xdg-open. I believe that's what Suvayu was referring to. But there is
no clean way of calling it, short of pulling it out of the xdg-open
script into a new script: as a general solution, that's hopeless.

--
Nick

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-19  6:24                                                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 19.9.2013, at 06:34, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 18.9.2013, at 14:14, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think that is expected.  The bug is in the desktop specific open
>>> commands.  Since you use none, generic open is used.  That is simply a
>>> shell function, and does the right thing.
>>
>> Is there a generic open command in Linux?  Why don't we use this instead?
>>

> Not really. There is a shell function called open_generic inside of
> xdg-open. I believe that's what Suvayu was referring to. But there is
> no clean way of calling it, short of pulling it out of the xdg-open
> script into a new script: as a general solution, that's hopeless.

All right.  Too bad.  Thank you.

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-19  6:36                                                   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-19  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 08:24:51AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On 19.9.2013, at 06:34, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Is there a generic open command in Linux?  Why don't we use this instead?
> >>

> > Not really. There is a shell function called open_generic inside of
> > xdg-open. I believe that's what Suvayu was referring to. But there is
> > no clean way of calling it, short of pulling it out of the xdg-open
> > script into a new script: as a general solution, that's hopeless.
>
> All right.  Too bad.  Thank you.

Nick said it accurately.  It is part of the xdg-open script.

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-19 14:25                                                     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 08:36:52AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 08:24:51AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> > > Not really. There is a shell function called open_generic inside of
> > > xdg-open. I believe that's what Suvayu was referring to. But there is
> > > no clean way of calling it, short of pulling it out of the xdg-open
> > > script into a new script: as a general solution, that's hopeless.
> >
> > All right.  Too bad.  Thank you.
>
> Nick said it accurately.  It is part of the xdg-open script.

I have some good news (sort of).  We can force generic open by calling
xdg-open like this[1]:

  DE=generic xdg-open /path/to/file

I tested this with

  (start-process-shell-command "DE=generic xdg-open test.html"
                               nil "DE=generic xdg-open test.html")

and it works well.  Do you think this is acceptable?

Cheers,

Footnotes:

[1] <https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=653249#c20>

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-20 10:49                                                       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-20 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 19, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 08:36:52AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:

>>> All right.  Too bad.  Thank you.
>>
>> Nick said it accurately.  It is part of the xdg-open script.
>
> I have some good news (sort of).  We can force generic open by calling
> xdg-open like this[1]:
>
>  DE=generic xdg-open /path/to/file

Hi Suvayu,

interesting!  How does this work?  Is this setting an environment variable DE before it is run?
The syntax looks unfamiliar to me.

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-20 11:07                                                         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-20 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:49:43PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have some good news (sort of).  We can force generic open by calling
> > xdg-open like this[1]:
> >
> >  DE=generic xdg-open /path/to/file
>
> Hi Suvayu,
>
> interesting!  How does this work?  Is this setting an environment variable DE before it is run?
> The syntax looks unfamiliar to me.

Yes, it is setting the DE variable (internal to xdg-open) to generic.
You can temporarily alter the environment of a command by prefixing it
with `var=value '.  The cool thing is the current shell does not retain
the temporary value.  Here is an example:

  $ var=foo
  $ var=bar sh -c 'echo $var'
  bar
  $ echo $var
  foo

:)

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-20 12:29                                                           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-20 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 20, 2013, at 1:07 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:49:43PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 19, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have some good news (sort of).  We can force generic open by calling
>>> xdg-open like this[1]:
>>>
>>> DE=generic xdg-open /path/to/file
>>
>> Hi Suvayu,
>>
>> interesting!  How does this work?  Is this setting an environment variable DE before it is run?
>> The syntax looks unfamiliar to me.
>
> Yes, it is setting the DE variable (internal to xdg-open) to generic.
> You can temporarily alter the environment of a command by prefixing it
> with `var=value '.  The cool thing is the current shell does not retain
> the temporary value.  Here is an example:
>
>  $ var=foo
>  $ var=bar sh -c 'echo $var'
>  bar
>  $ echo $var
>  foo

OK, this sounds useful.
Next question:  Maybe people who *are* on a Desktop environment will not like it if we force DE=generic onto them as well?
Or would't that make a difference?

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-20 13:14                                                             ` Suvayu Ali
       [not found]                                                               ` <CAN_Dec9q-DOpDvkDtvv85gHUQQxZ1NYWZ-OTBcYufrRXr4UCRQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-20 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode, Glyn Millington

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 02:29:00PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> OK, this sounds useful.
> Next question:  Maybe people who *are* on a Desktop environment will not like it if we force DE=generic onto them as well?
> Or would't that make a difference?

I did some quick searching, this part is a bit murky.  The generic way
of setting up default application associations with mime types is
through desktop files and ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.

Now XFCE and xdg-open both use this, I do not think this is true for
KDE, Gnome, or Gnome-like DEs though.  So for desktops that have their
own config system, it is possible xdg-open's generic and the desktop
specific preference might not match.

Some testing by other desktop users might be useful here.  Maybe Matt
and Glyn can help here (CC'ed).

To test:
1. open directory with pdf/html/odt files in dired,
2. put point on one of these files,
2. run asynchronous shell command: `& DE=generic xdg-open RET'.

Does it start your prefered application?  If not, we should drop this
idea.  If yes, maybe it is worth it.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

@ 2013-09-20 22:35                                                                 ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-09-20 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

sorry, forgot to cc the group.

@ 2013-09-22  8:49                                                                   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-22  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Hi Matt,

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I did some quick searching, this part is a bit murky.  The generic way
> >> of setting up default application associations with mime types is
> >> through desktop files and ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.
> >>
> >> Now XFCE and xdg-open both use this, I do not think this is true for
> >> KDE, Gnome, or Gnome-like DEs though.  So for desktops that have their
> >> own config system, it is possible xdg-open's generic and the desktop
> >> specific preference might not match.
> >>
> >> Some testing by other desktop users might be useful here.  Maybe Matt
> >> and Glyn can help here (CC'ed).
> >>
> >> To test:
> >> 1. open directory with pdf/html/odt files in dired,
> >> 2. put point on one of these files,
> >> 2. run asynchronous shell command: `& DE=generic xdg-open RET'.
> >>
> >> Does it start your prefered application?  If not, we should drop this
> >> idea.  If yes, maybe it is worth it.
> >

> > huh, I just tried it on a pdf file and an odt file, and nothing
> > opened;vI just got a message that the process had finished, and an
> > empty new Async Shell Command buffer.  Is it possible I'm using a
> > nonstandard xdg-open or something, or that the problem is otherwise
> > related to my system?  This is on ubuntu 13.-4, running unity.

I'm not sure what is going wrong there.  That said, all this seems
rather fragile.  The bug with gvfs-open has been there for over 3 years,
and I don't think there is even a bug-report open for exo-open.  It's
probably best to drop the idea for now.

--
Suvayu

* Re: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
@ 2013-09-22  9:19                                                                     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-22  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Org Mode