From: Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com>
To: Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [bug?] Copy content from one to another table changes the content
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:24:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi again,

I think I got a bit more of an idea what is going wrong thanks to Nick.

I use $1 = remote(prf94120_orig, @@#$6)

which reads copy from table prf94120_orig  row (@)  of the current to be
processed field (@#)  column ($) 6 into column ($) 1.
The org-mode manual refers to @# as operator for formulas and hence I
believe the result will be parsed by calc to get a meaningful output. That
is ok for simple strings without space or comma separators, since they
remain strings.

However, a string like "text,text" will be send to calc as ("text","text")
which is the calc notation for imaginary numbers.

Either, I should use a different way to copy the column or this could be
considered as a bug?!

Actually, I still do not understand the need to let calc parse that a
field-content.
If I want to do math, I am not suppose to express this explicit by my
formula?
Instead of having a single field content of "1 + 2" evaluated to be "3" by
remote copy, I would expect
to do something like remote(NAME, REF) + remote(NAME, REF) for calculating
the sum of two remote fields or in case I really have a complete expression
in a single field, I would expect to do something like (calc remote(NAME,
REF)) explicit to get it parsed by calc and placing the result in the new
table?!

Somehow, I miss something. Would be glad if someone could explain to me the
reason for the original behaviour.

Thanks

Torsten