* Root heading when exporting sub-trees
@ 2022-02-15 10:23 Michael Dauer
From: Michael Dauer @ 2022-02-15 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org mode version 9.5.2 (9.5.2-ge7ea95

When I export a subtree I normally want to produce a document for the topic
of the subtree. So I would expect that the contents of the subtree would be
exported with the heading as title (and maybe file name) and the children
promoted to level 1.

What I receive is something like this:
Title: Title of all topics
1. Topic
1.1
1.2
1.2.1
1.2.3
1.3

The whole first level of this outline is pointless.

What is the best way to change this behavior? I mean in
configuration/patching not by putting the same export properties
everywhere. But identifying the relevant export properties would be of help
of course.

Thanks, m

* Re: Root heading when exporting sub-trees
@ 2022-02-15 12:36 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-02-15 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dauer; +Cc: orgmode

Hi Michael,

Michael Dauer writes:

> When I export a subtree I normally want to produce a document for the
> topic of the subtree. So I would expect that the contents of the
> subtree would be exported with the heading as title (and maybe file
> name) and the children promoted to level 1.
>
> What I receive is something like this:
> Title: Title of all topics
> 1. Topic
> 1.1
> 1.2
> 1.2.1
> 1.2.3
> 1.3
>
> The whole first level of this outline is pointless.
>
> What is the best way to change this behavior? I mean in
> configuration/patching not by putting the same export properties
> everywhere. But identifying the relevant export properties would be of
> help of course.

You can set specific export properties for a given subtree, for example:

* Subtree
  :PROPERTIES:
  :EXPORT_OPTIONS: options list
  :EXPORT_TITLE: Another title
  :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: another file name
  :END:

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: Root heading when exporting sub-trees
@ 2022-02-15 13:16 ` Sébastien Miquel
From: Sébastien Miquel @ 2022-02-15 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dauer, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Michael Dauer writes:
> When I export a subtree I normally want to produce a document for the
> topic of the subtree. So I would expect that the contents of the
> subtree would be exported with the heading as title (and maybe file
> name) and the children promoted to level 1.

This is the expected behaviour (except for the file name), and what I
get when I run C-c C-e C-s l o.

> What I receive is something like this:
> [...]
> The whole first level of this outline is pointless.

Looking at the code, I don't understand how you can get this outcome.

Sébastien Miquel

* Re: Root heading when exporting sub-trees
@ 2022-02-15 13:54   ` Michael Dauer
From: Michael Dauer @ 2022-02-15 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastien.miquel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode