Hi Tim, indent-tabs-mode was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, Michael Am Di., 25. Mai 2021 um 04:39 Uhr schrieb Tim Cross : > > Michael Dauer writes: > > > Hi, > > > > #+begin_src elisp :results output > > (aaa > > bbb ( > > #x09#x09#x09ccc)) > > ccc > > #+end_src > > looks like this in the editor > > (aaa > > bbb ( > > ccc)) > > ccc > > > > Line 1-3 were indented automatically by pressing Tab. In line 4 I > inserted 6 spaces manually. This is what I would expect to find in line 3 > too. But at my > > surprise there are 3 tab chars in line 3. Line 2 was indented > automatically with 1 space. > > > > 1. So why is line 3 indented with 3 tabs instead of 6 spaces? > > 2. How can I prevent this? > > 3. Why does a tab have a width between 1 and 2 spaces? > > 4. How can I prevent this misalignment? > > > >I don't understand what org-block face has fixed-pitch. > > > > Org mode version 9.4.6 (9.4.6-gcf30f7 > > (setq-default tab-width 2) > > (setq org-src-fontify-natively t > > org-src-window-setup 'current-window > > org-src-strip-leading-and-trailing-blank-lines t > > org-src-preserve-indentation t > > org-src-tab-acts-natively t) > > > > Are you editing the source block using org-edit-special (C-c ,)? If not, > then you are not editing the source block with the correct syntax for > elisp and this will throw out auto formatting. > > Your example block is invalid elisp code which is > #+begin_src elisp :results output > (aaa > bbb ( > #x09#x09#x09ccc)) > ccc > #+end_src > > but I don't see how you can get any output as it is not valid elisp. It > is not clear to me what you are trying to do. You have 3 tab characters > (#x09), so don't see why you would expect them to be spaces? > > If what you want is for hitting tab to insert only spaces, have a look > at the variable indent-tab-mode. You can, for example, do > > (setq-default indent-tab-mode nil) > > to force use of spaces instead of tabs. However, be careful about doing > this globally if you also want to contribute to projects where tabs are > used as this will cause havoc with diffs and git. You can also set this > on a per language (via mode hooks) or per project (via local variables). > > To get a better feel for how language modes align code etc, you really > need to make sure the code you are trying to align is syntactically > valid and you are using the correct coding style for the language. > -- > Tim Cross > > > -- > Confidentiality Notice:This email and any attachments it may contain are > intended for the individual or entity above and may be confidential and > protected by legal privilege. SmartPM Technologies, Inc. makes no > warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy of the information > contained herein, which is subject to change without notice. Unintended > recipients should be aware that use of this e-mail or any of its > attachments in any way is forbidden. >