* org-capture doesn't narrow correctly if :prepend is t
@ 2013-09-02 17:51 Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2013-09-02 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have an org-capture template as follows:

 ("n" "personal NEXT" entry
  (file "~/org/TODO.org")
  "* NEXT %?" :prepend t)

but after I hit `C-c C-c', the file's buffer stays narrowed, with the
new entry invisible.  Anyone who didn't notice the presence of
'Narrow' in the modeline would be convinced that the capture
completely failed.  It can be revealed via `C-u C-x n w', but of
course it's annoying having to do this every time.

The problem vanishes as soon as I de-select the :prepend flag.  It's
been an issue for a while, so I guess I'm the only one using this
flag?

Thanks!
Adam

* Re: org-capture doesn't narrow correctly if :prepend is t
@ 2013-09-16 11:33 ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2013-09-16 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2 September 2013 18:51, Adam Spiers <orgmode@adamspiers.org> wrote:
> I have an org-capture template as follows:
>
>  ("n" "personal NEXT" entry
>   (file "~/org/TODO.org")
>   "* NEXT %?" :prepend t)
>
> but after I hit `C-c C-c', the file's buffer stays narrowed, with the
> new entry invisible.  Anyone who didn't notice the presence of
> 'Narrow' in the modeline would be convinced that the capture
> completely failed.  It can be revealed via `C-u C-x n w', but of
> course it's annoying having to do this every time.
>
> The problem vanishes as soon as I de-select the :prepend flag.  It's
> been an issue for a while, so I guess I'm the only one using this
> flag?

Judging by the lack of response, it seems noone else uses :prepend :-/
It's enough of an itch that I am happy to scratch / fix it myself, but
it would be great if someone could give me a few quick pointers on how
org-capture uses narrowing - otherwise it could take me quite a lot of
time and pain to understand it by myself ...

@ 2013-09-16 11:59   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-16 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Adam,

it is in my queue, but I have not yet had time to look at it.

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-16 12:12     ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2013-09-16 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 16 September 2013 12:59, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> it is in my queue, but I have not yet had time to look at it.

Oh great, thanks a lot Carsten!  I can wait patiently - even with a wait,
you can almost certainly fix it quicker than I could ;-)

* Re: org-capture doesn't narrow correctly if :prepend is t
@ 2013-09-16 21:56       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-09-16 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

I always use prepend and don't notice this problem, if that helps.

Which it probably doesn't, but just in case.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: org-capture doesn't narrow correctly if :prepend is t
@ 2014-03-01 11:57     ` Thomas Proschinger
From: Thomas Proschinger @ 2014-03-01 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Adam,
>
> it is in my queue, but I have not yet had time to look at it.
>
> - Carsten

+1 for this issue. It's still there in 8.2.5h. Looking forward to a fix!

- Thomas

* Re: org-capture doesn't narrow correctly if :prepend is t
@ 2014-03-13  9:45       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-13  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Proschinger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Adam and Thomas,

Thomas Proschinger <thomas.proschinger@gmail.com> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> it is in my queue, but I have not yet had time to look at it.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> +1 for this issue. It's still there in 8.2.5h. Looking forward to a
> fix!

This is now fixed, thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-capture doesn't narrow correctly if :prepend is t
@ 2014-03-15 11:19         ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2014-03-15 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 March 2014 09:45, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Adam and Thomas,
>
> This is now fixed, thanks!

Oh wonderful, thank you so much Bastien!

* Re: org-capture doesn't narrow correctly if :prepend is t
@ 2014-03-16 14:01         ` Thomas Proschinger
From: Thomas Proschinger @ 2014-03-16 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes: