* [oc-csl] testing status
@ 2021-05-30 12:58 Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-05-30 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email, András Simonyi

For anyone here testing oc-csl, and to update Nicolas, I've reported
all the issues I've found either here, or on the citeproc-el issue
tracker.

For the latter:

1. JSON input doesn't work for me:
https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el/issues/20
2. suppress author improvements:
https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el/issues/19
3. multi-bib: https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el/issues/17
4. "full" variant support:
https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el/issues/16
5. "author" and "text" style support:
https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el/issues/15

And there's an existing issue there to add biblatex input support:

6. https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el/issues/1

For anyone testing this, I'm particularly curious if you have any
success with 1 (JSON input).

All of these are minor issues that I don't think should hold up
oc-csl, except maybe the JSON issue if it's confirmed beyond me.

Bruce

* Re: [oc-csl] testing status
@ 2021-05-30 20:12 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-05-30 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: org-mode-email, András Simonyi

Hello,

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. JSON input doesn't work for me:
> https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el/issues/20

I think I fixed this one. I cannot test it properly as I don't have
a JSON bibliography file.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [oc-csl] testing status
@ 2021-05-30 20:23   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-05-30 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus, org-mode-email, András Simonyi

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 4:12 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 1. JSON input doesn't work for me:
> > https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el/issues/20
>
> I think I fixed this one. I cannot test it properly as I don't have
> a JSON bibliography file.

Yes, I can confirm you fixed it. Thanks!

So I closed the above issue.

Also, I posted a minimal CSL JSON file here, in case anyone needs it.

https://gist.github.com/bdarcus/98e6d3ef9be22e0912670469f04f28da

Bruce

* Re: [oc-csl] testing status
@ 2021-05-30 20:38     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-05-30 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email, András Simonyi

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 4:23 PM Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 4:12 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > 1. JSON input doesn't work for me:
> > > https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el/issues/20
> >
> > I think I fixed this one. I cannot test it properly as I don't have
> > a JSON bibliography file.
>
> Yes, I can confirm you fixed it. Thanks!

There is one thing I can't figure out. Here's the output I get:

Low, Setha M. “The Edge and the Center: Gated Communities and the
Discourse of Urban Fear.” /American Anthropologist/ 103, no. 1 (March 1,
2001): 45–58. <https://doi.org/10.1525/aa.2001.103.1.45>.

I don't understand why that URL is included, as that entry has no URL.

It seems citeproc-el may have a parameter that substitutes DOI URL if
DOI is present, but URL is absent if t?

I can't immediately find it, but if that's the case, I think that
should be turned off.

András: Is that correct?

Bruce

* Re: [oc-csl] testing status
@ 2021-05-30 21:24       ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2021-05-30 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: org-mode-email

Dear All,

On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 22:38, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is one thing I can't figure out. Here's the output I get:
> I don't understand why that URL is included, as that entry has no URL.

> It seems citeproc-el may have a parameter that substitutes DOI URL if
> DOI is present, but URL is absent if t?

> András: Is that correct?

citeproc-el definitely doesn't have this kind of functionality, it
must come from the used CSL style somehow. Is the result different
with other citeprocs?

András

* Re: [oc-csl] testing status
@ 2021-05-30 21:36         ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-05-30 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: András Simonyi; +Cc: org-mode-email

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 5:24 PM András Simonyi <andras.simonyi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 22:38, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is one thing I can't figure out. Here's the output I get:
> > I don't understand why that URL is included, as that entry has no URL.
>
> > It seems citeproc-el may have a parameter that substitutes DOI URL if
> > DOI is present, but URL is absent if t?
>
> > András: Is that correct?
>
> citeproc-el definitely doesn't have this kind of functionality, it
> must come from the used CSL style somehow. Is the result different
> with other citeprocs?

It's maybe a style issue, though I haven't figured it out yet.

This is what pandoc produces with the same style etc.

Low, Setha M. “The Edge and the Center: Gated Communities and the
Discourse of Urban Fear.” American Anthropologist 103, no. 1 (March 1,
2001): 45–58. doi:10.1525/aa.2001.103.1.45.

... which is what I read the style
(chicago-note-bibliography-16th-edition.csl) to specify.

I'll explore more, probably tomorrow.

Bruce

* Re: [oc-csl] testing status
@ 2021-05-31 14:32           ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2021-05-31 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: org-mode-email

Dear All,

(what follows is  a copy of my reply to the corresponding citeproc-el issue)
I think I managed to track this down. First of all, the issue doesn't
affect html and latex Org exports, which use the html and latex output
of citeproc-el directly; the problematic behavior occurs only when
citeproc-el produces org output and this gets embedded in the Org
document before exporting. In the latter case, the Org exporter treats
the doi links in the bibliography as it would any doi link in the
document, and, apparently, this means converting them to urls by
default. (I don't know what is the easiest way of turning this off.)

best regards,
András

On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 23:36, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 5:24 PM András Simonyi <andras.simonyi@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 22:38, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > There is one thing I can't figure out. Here's the output I get:
> > > I don't understand why that URL is included, as that entry has no URL.
> >
> > > It seems citeproc-el may have a parameter that substitutes DOI URL if
> > > DOI is present, but URL is absent if t?
> >
> > > András: Is that correct?
> >
> > citeproc-el definitely doesn't have this kind of functionality, it
> > must come from the used CSL style somehow. Is the result different
> > with other citeprocs?
>
> It's maybe a style issue, though I haven't figured it out yet.
>
> This is what pandoc produces with the same style etc.
>
> Low, Setha M. “The Edge and the Center: Gated Communities and the
> Discourse of Urban Fear.” American Anthropologist 103, no. 1 (March 1,
> 2001): 45–58. doi:10.1525/aa.2001.103.1.45.
>
> ... which is what I read the style
> (chicago-note-bibliography-16th-edition.csl) to specify.
>
> I'll explore more, probably tomorrow.
>
> Bruce

* Re: [oc-csl] testing status
@ 2021-05-31 14:37             ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-05-31 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: András Simonyi; +Cc: org-mode-email

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 10:33 AM András Simonyi
<andras.simonyi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> (what follows is  a copy of my reply to the corresponding citeproc-el issue)
> I think I managed to track this down. First of all, the issue doesn't
> affect html and latex Org exports, which use the html and latex output
> of citeproc-el directly; the problematic behavior occurs only when
> citeproc-el produces org output and this gets embedded in the Org
> document before exporting. In the latter case, the Org exporter treats
> the doi links in the bibliography as it would any doi link in the
> document, and, apparently, this means converting them to urls by
> default. (I don't know what is the easiest way of turning this off.)

I'll also copy my reply:

Thanks for looking into this!

I'm glad I was wrong about it also happening with the HTML output; I
got confused as I was switching styles.

If this doesn't happen with HTML and LaTeX, it's much less of an
issue. But still, ideally it would work consistently (across
backends).

Bruce