Thx again all, really cool. one last question. anyone mind pasting code to revert an open buffer to read only when idle for lets say 5 minutes? thx alot! Z On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote: > Xebar Saram writes: > > > Thanks guys. really appreciate all your help > > > > im now using view-mode with hooks as suggested. btw whats the > > advantages of viewer-mode over read-only-mode > > Mostly that you get more convenient navigation commands. Scrolling and > searching etc don't require control modifiers, and it becomes a bit > easier to move around files. > > > best > > > > Z > > > > > > On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo < > > jorge.a.alfaro@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > Xebar Saram writes: > > > > > i keep once and a while screwing up my notes with unintended > > editing > > > (erroneous key presses etc) and was wondering if any one knew > > of a way > > > to to switch orgmode notes between read-only/editing? > > > > Hi Xebar. Use C-x C-q. This works for every file, I use it in > > particular > > for notes that I do not want to edit. > > > > It runs the command read-only-mode which changes whether the > > current > > buffer is read-only. Actually the command switches the local > > variable > > buffer-read-only, so you can use that variable as local for every > > file > > that you do not want to edit by default. At the end of those > > files add: > > > > #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE > > %%% Local Variables: > > %%% buffer-read-only: t > > %%% End: > > #+END_EXAMPLE > > > > And every time that you want to edit them just do C-x C-q > > > > Best, > > > > Jorge. > > > > > > >