I was trying out the new option tex:dvipng. The HTML result was a image with the tikz code. Turns out, debugging and telling the fragment processor not to delete the files, what org generates for the tikz fragment is: \begin{tikzpicture*} Removing the astherisk would make it work without any workarounds. How I got around this was #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{environ,amsmath,multicol} #+LATEX_HEADER: \NewEnviron{tikzpicture*}[1][]{\begin{tikzpicture}[#1]\BODY\end{tikzpicture}} Possibly fixing this issue, will make cross formats much easier.