thanks for the response, Ihor -- reply inline below: On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 9:45 AM Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Matt Price writes: > > > ... I need to export each individual page > > of the "book" to its own markdown page. However, jupyter-book expects to > > find the title of the page in the initial first-level heading. So I'd > like > > to retain the subtree "title" as a first-level heading, and demote the > > remaining headings to their original state within the larger org > document. > > > > Does anyone know of an existing exporter that already does this, from > which > > I can steal? Or if not, how would you suggest I go about doing this? > > May you provide an example demonstrating initial Org mode document and > how the exported md documents should look like? > > I don't think my request was very clear. Let's say I'm writing a "book" (really a documentation set of some kind) with several "chapters" (really, each chapter is an indiviual html page, though more complex nesting is permitted by jupyter-book). I write in org-mode: ----- * Chapter 1 text ** Chapter 1.1 text ** Chapter 1.2 * Chapter 2 text ** Chapter 2.1 text ----- And I want to produce two markdown files: chapter-1.md: ----- # Chapter 1 text ## Chapter 1.1 text ## Chapter 1.2 ------ chapter-2.md ---- # Chapter 2 text ## Chapter 2.1 text ----- I tried to learn a little more on my own after posting. I can set `org-md-toplevel-hlevel` to `2`, and then in the template function add the title property "manually" by extracting it from the info communication channel: ------ (defun org-myst-inner-template (contents info) "Return body of document after converting it to Markdown syntax. CONTENTS is the transcoded contents string. INFO is a plist holding export options." (let* ((depth (plist-get info :with-toc)) (headlines (and depth (org-export-collect-headlines info depth))) (toc-string (or (mapconcat (lambda (headline) (org-myst-format-toc headline info)) headlines "\n") "")) (toc-tail (if headlines "\n\n" "")) (front-matter (org-myst-front-matter)) (title (org-export-data (plist-get info :title) info))) (org-trim (concat front-matter toc-string toc-tail "\n" "# " title "\n\n" contents (org-myst-footnote-section info))))) ------ This works ok! But the problem ocmes because I would like to be able to *also* sometimes export a whole file (rather than just a subtree) using the same exporter.That's because I have inherited osme projects where files take hte form: chapter-1.org ------ * Chapter 1 text ** Chapter 1.1 text ** Chapter 1.2 ------ etc. The real problem I have is that, when exporting a subtree, I want to set org-md-toplevel-hlevel to "2" and add the title; when exporting a whole file, I want to set org-md-toplevel-hlevel to "1" and ignore the title. I don't think this is how org exporters are supposed to work, but I'm trying to interface to an established system that has chosen osme un-org-like conventions. Is this clearer, and do you see a way to do this? I am just looking at the source code and I wonder if I could add some (let) bindings inside org-myst-export-to-markdown and ....-as-markdown before calling org-export-to-[buffer|file]. hmm. Just tried it and it seems to work. Something seems wrong about this kind of code, though, in which I let-bind a variable in one function solely so that I can use it in another. Is there a better way? Un that case ,I would want to set > -- > Ihor Radchenko // yantar92, > Org mode contributor, > Learn more about Org mode at . > Support Org development at , > or support my work at >