On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 9:36 AM, Rasmus wrote: > Hi Richard, > > First, thank you for looking into this. I learned something new from this > > > Pretty much all the other options we have talked about seem like they > > will require multi-step, non-trivial installation procedures ("First > > install {Node.js/Haskell/JVM ...}, then install > > {citeproc-node/pandoc-citeproc/citeproc-java...}, then install our > > wrapper script..."). Updating could require other manual operations of > > similar complexity. Avoiding that kind of procedure will make citations > > a lot more usable from Org for everyone. > > I think this is *very* important. > I totally agree. > > 2) It is quite complete. > > > > Previously, I thought that it would be a similar amount of work to > > communicate with Zotero from Emacs as any of the other CSL > > implementations out there. However, after looking at zotxt a bit more > > closely, I discovered that it has an (undocumented) API endpoint [3] > > This sounds amazing, but also dangerous. Do you know whether stabilizing > the API has been discussed upstream? > I think the API Richard is referring to is *zotxt's* API, not Zotero's. So "upstream" is a very short distance to an underground spring under our house (Erik Hetzner). The somewhat more widely-used Better Bibtex plugin also has provides an API to the Zotero database (https://zotplus.github.io/better-bibtex/cayw.html). In either case, it probably would be relatively easy to provide patches to the maintainer if we run into trouble. > > > that pretty much does exactly what we need: it accepts a list of > > citation objects, and returns a list of formatted citations and a > > formatted bibliography, which can be inserted into the exported > > document. > > Could you give an example of the sort of input you give? I.e. is it based > on keys? From my bibtex-centric world view I imagine something like: > > I send key or pointer @K to a DB entry as well as a CSL-file pointer C, > and maybe a desired output format F. I get a string back that is the > formatting of the data behind @K formatted according to the rules in C, > adapted to F. > > Is that correct? If so, does it support html, text and odt? > > Right now, IIUC, zotxt accepts only a *style name*, not a CSL file -- it will locate the CSL file in the Zotero style list. It supports html and text output formats, as well as the QuickKey syntax used by the ODF-scan zotero plugin (https://github.com/Zotero-ODF-Scan/zotero-odf-scan). My understanding is that providing fully-formed odt syntax is difficult, because of the structure of the odt file, which I guess wants a bunch of metadata that isn't trivial to provide. The recommended path right now is to run ODF-scan on the odt from libreoffice -- it's an annoying extra step that I was hoping to be able to avoid, but am not competent to program: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/29308/7/rtfodf-scan-for-zotero/#Comment_226799 > This endpoint still needs a little bit of work, to generalize it and > > make it easier to get the data in the format we need. (That is probably > > why it is undocumented in the README.) But it requires much less work > > than I thought it would, and much less work than it would be to get a > > full-featured setup with something like citeproc-node. > > This is a very strong argument. > > At some point Matt talked about adding support for org citation syntax in > citeproc-js. Would this be advantageous if going this route? I guess not. > Depends on whether you want to be able to request org-mode syntax from zotero. Zotero uses citation-js internally; changes we make to citation-js will eventually percolate up to zotero, and it's not impossible to replace zotero's citeproc with one's own copy (even I can do it). > > > > > IMO we can leverage zotero as a tool, but we cannot enforce it as a > bibliography manager. > yes > > > I still think Zotero + zotxt is the best option for non-LaTeX > > citation processing, even for these folks. The ease of installation > > (and removal) of the required programs alone makes it worth it, even if > > you never actually populate a Zotero database. So given what I know at > > the moment, I think our efforts would best be directed at making the > > in-progress org-cite library communicate with Zotero via zotxt. What do > > you think? > > +1, though re zotxt we should make sure Erik would want to move it to > GELPA. > Basically I'm enthusiastic and glad you are taking up the challenge, since matt's programming:snail's pace :: snail's pace:leopard run