Thanks Sebastien and Suvayu: your answers make a lot of sense (and are even consistent with each other). Tom On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Suvayu Ali wrote: > On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 04:45:53PM +0200, Sebastien Vauban wrote: > > Tom Slee wrote: > > > On the orgmode.org site this thing is called "Org mode" while on worg > and > > > in the papers on literate programming with org it is called "Org-mode" > with > > > a hyphen. On the email list it is commonly called "org-mode" (lower > case o, > > > hyphen) or just org. > > > > > > Is there any consensus about the proper name by which to refer to > > > [oO]rg[-]mode in a formal context? > > > > Personally, I follow the convention used in the Emacs manual, that is > Dired > > mode, Hideshow mode, Org mode, etc. > > AFAIR, Carsten prefers it as Org mode too. > > That said, I think the names are somewhat context dependent. The manual > prefers Org mode, following the convention: mode. On the list > you will see people use org-mode because that is the actual command to > turn on Org mode. Sometimes this is shortened as org, or Org. Academic > discussions of Org mode are bound by the rules of grammar. I guess that > is why you might Org-mode instead of org-mode: proper nouns are > capitalised. > > :) > > -- > Suvayu > > Open source is the future. It sets us free. > >