* Bug: org-emphasis-alist not fully applied [9.1.1 (9.1.1-1-g80cbf9-elpa @ x:/folder/user/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/)]
@ 2017-09-19  4:16 Jens Lange
From: Jens Lange @ 2017-09-19  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

What exactly did you do?
===================
1. Configure block below in custom-set-variables.

 '(org-emphasis-alist
   (quote
    (
     ("!" org-habit-overdue-face)
     ("%" org-habit-alert-face)
     ("*" bold)
     ("/" italic)
     ("_" underline)
     ("=" org-verbatim verbatim)
     ("~" org-code verbatim)
     ("+" (:strike-through t))
     )))

2. Type %blabla% and !blabla! in org-mode

What did you expect to happen?
=========================
%blabla% should show in in yellow and without %
!blabla! should show in red and without !

What happened instead?
===================
%blabla% is shown normal
!blabla! is shown normal

What's more?
===========
I think it broke with the 9.1 release.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-04-24
Package: Org mode version 9.1.1 (9.1.1-1-g80cbf9-elpa @
x:/folder/user/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/)

current state:
==============
(setq
 org-tab-first-hook '(org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe
org-babel-header-arg-expand)
 org-agenda-clockreport-parameter-plist '(:lang "de" :maxlevel 6 :fileskip0
t :properties ("XXXXXXXX" "XXXXXXXX" "XXXXXXXX") :indent t :narrow 80!)
 org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-activate
org-babel-speed-command-activate)
 org-download-screenshot-method "convert clipboard: %s"
 org-ellipsis "↴"
 org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
 org-src-tab-acts-natively t
 org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)
 org-clock-into-drawer nil
 org-protocol-protocol-alist '(("outlook" :protocol "outlook" :function
org-protocol-outlook :kill-client t))
 org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-finalize-agenda-hook '(org-agenda-to-appt)
 org-highlight-latex-and-related '(latex script entities)
 org-emphasis-alist '(("!" org-habit-overdue-face) ("%"
org-habit-alert-face) ("*" bold) ("/" italic) ("_" underline) ("="
org-verbatim verbatim) ("~" org-code verbatim)
                      ("+" (:strike-through t)))
 org-return-follows-link t
 org-default-notes-file "~/.emacs.d/xxxxxxx.org"
 org-todo-keyword-faces '(("ZU-ERLEDIGEN" . "white") ("IN-ARBEIT" . "red")
("UNTERBROCHEN" . "orange") ("WARTEN-RÜCKM-KUNDE" . "yellow")
                          ("WARTEN-RÜCKM-INTERN" . "yellow") ("WARTEN-WARE"
. "yellow") ("ERLEDIGT" . "green") ("STORNIERT" . "green"))
 org-agenda-include-diary t
 org-startup-indented t
 org-after-todo-state-change-hook '(org-clock-out-if-current
org-protocol-delete-msgs-on-task-done)
 org-from-is-user-regexp nil
 org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer
org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
 org-tags-column -1
 org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
 org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)
 org-mode-hook '(#[0 "\300\301\302\303\304$\207" [add-hook
change-major-mode-hook org-show-block-all append local] 5]
                 #[0 "\300\301\302\303\304$\207" [add-hook
change-major-mode-hook org-babel-show-result-all append local] 5]
org-babel-result-hide-spec
                 org-babel-hide-all-hashes)
 org-bibtex-headline-format-function #[257 "\300 \236A\207" [:title] 3
"\n\n(fn ENTRY)"]
 org-archive-hook '(org-attach-archive-delete-maybe)
 org-agenda-time-grid nil
 org-yank-adjusted-subtrees t
 org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees org-cycle-hide-drawers
org-cycle-show-empty-lines org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)
 org-agenda-hide-tags-regexp ".*"
 org-agenda-start-with-log-mode t
 org-agenda-start-with-clockreport-mode t
 org-ditaa-eps-jar-path
"x:/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/.emacs.d/elpa/contrib/scripts/DitaaEps.jar"
 org-use-property-inheritance t
 org-download-annotate-function 'org-download-annotate-default
 org-todo-keywords '((sequence "ZU-ERLEDIGEN" "IN-ARBEIT" "UNTERBROCHEN"
"|" "ERLEDIGT" "STORNIERT")
                     (sequence "WARTEN-RÜCKM-XXXXX" "WARTEN-RÜCKM-XXXXX"
"WARTEN-XXXXX" "|"))
 org-hide-emphasis-markers t
 org-clock-report-include-clocking-task t
 org-download-image-dir "~/temp"
 org-agenda-span 'day
 org-catch-invisible-edits 'error
 org-babel-tangle-lang-exts '(("latex" . "tex") ("emacs-lisp" . "el")
("elisp" . "el"))
 org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)
 org-ditaa-jar-path "x:/xxxx/xxxxxx/ditaa0_9.jar"
 org-startup-truncated nil
 org-link-parameters '(("id" :follow org-id-open) ("rmail" :follow
org-rmail-open :store org-rmail-store-link) ("mhe" :follow org-mhe-open
:store org-mhe-store-link)
                       ("irc" :follow org-irc-visit :store
org-irc-store-link) ("info" :follow org-info-open :export org-info-export
:store org-info-store-link)
                       ("gnus" :follow org-gnus-open :store
org-gnus-store-link)
                       ("docview" :follow org-docview-open :export
org-docview-export :store org-docview-store-link)
                       ("bibtex" :follow org-bibtex-open :store
org-bibtex-store-link)
                       ("bbdb" :follow org-bbdb-open :export
org-bbdb-export :complete org-bbdb-complete-link :store org-bbdb-store-link)
                       ("w3m" :store org-w3m-store-link) ("file+sys")
("file+emacs") ("outlook" :follow org-outlook-open :export nil) ("doi"
:follow org--open-doi-link)
                       ("elisp" :follow org--open-elisp-link) ("file"
:complete org-file-complete-link) ("ftp" :follow (lambda (path) (browse-url
(concat "ftp:" path))))
                       ("help" :follow org--open-help-link) ("http" :follow
(lambda (path) (browse-url (concat "http:" path))))
                       ("https" :follow (lambda (path) (browse-url (concat
"https:" path)))) ("mailto" :follow (lambda (path) (browse-url (concat
"mailto:" path))))
                       ("news" :follow (lambda (path) (browse-url (concat
"news:" path)))) ("shell" :follow org--open-shell-link))
 org-babel-load-languages '((ditaa . t) (latex . t))
 org-agenda-files '("~/org/xxxxxx/xxxxxx.org" "~/org/xxxxxx/xxxxxxx.org"
"x:/xxxxxx/xxxxxx.org" "x:/xxxxxxx/xxxxxxx.org")
 org-clock-out-hook '(org-clock-remove-empty-clock-drawer)
 )
--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / With kind regards:
Jens Lange

* Re: Bug: org-emphasis-alist not fully applied [9.1.1 (9.1.1-1-g80cbf9-elpa @ x:/folder/user/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/)]
@ 2017-09-19  6:02 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-19  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Lange; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jens Lange <jens.lange.de@gmail.com> writes:

> What exactly did you do?
> ===================
> 1. Configure block below in custom-set-variables.
>
>  '(org-emphasis-alist
>    (quote
>     (
>      ("!" org-habit-overdue-face)
>      ("%" org-habit-alert-face)
>      ("*" bold)
>      ("/" italic)
>      ("_" underline)
>      ("=" org-verbatim verbatim)
>      ("~" org-code verbatim)
>      ("+" (:strike-through t))
>      )))
>
> 2. Type %blabla% and !blabla! in org-mode

Adding new syntax is not supported. The variable exists to allow users
to change the face of already existing constructs.

You may want to tweak font-lock related variables, e.g.,
`org-font-lock-hook' to achieve that effect.

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2017-09-19 13:35   ` Jens Lange
From: Jens Lange @ 2017-09-19 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hmm, but that worked until recently. Without any hook.

Or was your answer like: Good for you that it worked in the past but since
it ain't supported we won't make it work again?

With kind regards,
Jens Lange

--

@ 2017-09-19 19:23     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-19 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Lange; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jens Lange <jens.lange.de@gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm, but that worked until recently. Without any hook.
>
> Or was your answer like: Good for you that it worked in the past but since
> it ain't supported we won't make it work again?

That's more like it, sorry. The fact that it worked doesn't mean it was
supported.

As I suggested there are other ways to achieve what you want.

@ 2017-09-21  1:02       ` Jens Lange
From: Jens Lange @ 2017-09-21  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, for that information. Since I have no coding knowlege I reached out
to stackexchange for some help for a workaround. Question is here:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/35626/how-to-make-my-own-org-mode-text-emphasis-work-again

One guy mentioned this after I wrote about this bug report:

"If they don't want items added to org-emphasis-alist they shouldn't use
the repeat customization type which allows insertion and deletion.
Furthermore, they should add a note about this restriction in the doc
string of org-emphasis-alist. Maybe, you can give a follow-up in the
bug-report about that."

So I did what he requested. He also provided me with a working solution.
Even with that said I might ask if you could consider supporting adding new
emphasis definitions in the future? For people like me who are not able to
write a function to solve the problem in an instant this customize option
is like the red carpet already lying on the floor.

With kind regards,
Jens Lange

--

@ 2017-09-22 21:38         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-22 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Lange; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jens Lange <jens.lange.de@gmail.com> writes:

> "If they don't want items added to org-emphasis-alist they shouldn't use
> the repeat customization type which allows insertion and deletion.
> Furthermore, they should add a note about this restriction in the doc
> string of org-emphasis-alist. Maybe, you can give a follow-up in the
> bug-report about that."

Indeed, the customize type needs to be fixed. Patch welcome!

> So I did what he requested. He also provided me with a working solution.
> Even with that said I might ask if you could consider supporting adding new
> emphasis definitions in the future?

I'm not even sure about what you are talking about.

Allowing to extend `org-emphasis-alist' with any marker means there is
not anymore a single Org format. Any one can define its own with fancy
markers. This is not portable.Besides, having syntax you cannot control
is asking for trouble. I'm totally against this idea.

Org already provides 6 emphasis markers, which is enough in my book.

On the other hand, you may be only interested in marking some text with
a special face in a buffer. Both Org and Emacs provide ways to do that
without messing with Org syntax. As pointed out in the thread,
`org-font-lock-set-keywords-hook' is one of them.

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2017-09-23 11:42           ` Jens Lange
From: Jens Lange @ 2017-09-23 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas,

I understand the dilemma. But then I must ask for a format enhancment.
Before crying out loud please read my argumentation. Why did I create my
own "fancy" markers? Because there is no default way to recreate the
"Textmarker-Experience" - or at least I couldn't find any. All default
emphasis markers recreate what I would call the "Ballpoint-Experience".
This puzzles me because marking text on a piece of paper is one of the most
basic things. Do I have a point here or not?

I just opened my pen-drawer and took out the text-markers. I found (the
typical) neon-yellow, neon-green, neon-pink and neon-blue. How about adding
four markers using something like "org-emphasis-colours-alist" and let the
users be able to define the colours?

Just one final remark: Tobias, the guy on stackexchange who helped me out
here gave me a working solution, so I can live with that but currently I
still think the "Textmarker-Experience" is missing in org-mode and should
be inside it without any user defined functions.

With kind regards,
Jens Lange

--

@ 2017-09-24  9:10             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-24  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Lange; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jens Lange <jens.lange.de@gmail.com> writes:

> I understand the dilemma. But then I must ask for a format enhancment.
> Before crying out loud please read my argumentation. Why did I create my
> own "fancy" markers? Because there is no default way to recreate the
> "Textmarker-Experience" - or at least I couldn't find any. All default
> emphasis markers recreate what I would call the "Ballpoint-Experience".
> This puzzles me because marking text on a piece of paper is one of the most
> basic things. Do I have a point here or not?

I disagree. Note that I'm not crying out loud, either.

Textmarker-Experience is but a fancy way to emphasize some text. It
typographically has the same purpose as *bold*, /italic/, _underscore_,

You can already tweak `org-emphasis-alist' to put, e.g., neon-yellow
over bold (or italic, underscole...) text if you want. Just change the
face associated to the marker.

The point is that Org is, by default, limited to a set of 4 markers (I'm
not counting the 2 verbatim markups), for good reasons. I still think
this is enough for most purposes. If you have special requirements,
e.g., 6 markers, both Org and Emacs provide other ways to add them. None
of them should be achieved by tweaking `org-emphasis-alist', though.

Nicolas Goaziou