* New logo
@ 2013-04-01 17:20 Bastien
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-01 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I've been trying hard to enhance the logo for the release of 8.0
and I gather that my attempts failed so far.  So instead of trying
to change the colors and the shape, I suddenly realized we could
simply find... a *better* animal.

What is the most appropriate symbol of why we all use Org-mode?

Yes, procrastination.  Fiddling with Emacs instead of achieving
the work we need to achieve.  Trying to convince ourselves that
this tiny Org feature will make us more proficient at our jobs,
instead of simply working.

I asked many Org friends during the last few weeks, and we all
agreed that an ostrich might be a good candidate.

So here it is -- I just updated the website accordingly:

  http://orgmode.org

I did spent a lot of time and energy on deciding this, and this
is not only me, but also many Org users I've asked, so please do
not discuss this change.

Hope you'll get used to it!

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: New logo
@ 2013-04-01 17:45 ` Suvayu Ali
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-01 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 07:20:13PM +0200, Bastien wrote:

> I asked many Org friends during the last few weeks, and we all
> agreed that an ostrich might be a good candidate.
>
> So here it is -- I just updated the website accordingly:
>
>   http://orgmode.org
>
> I did spent a lot of time and energy on deciding this, and this
> is not only me, but also many Org users I've asked, so please do
> not discuss this change.

When I read the email, I thought "No! I want the unicorn!".  But then I
saw the ostrich, and now I don't know anymore.  I think the ostrich is
absolutely hilarious.

--
Suvayu

* Re: New logo
@ 2013-04-01 18:10 ` Thorsten Jolitz
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-01 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

Amazing design skills ;)
and perfect timing for the announcement ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: New logo
@ 2013-04-01 18:16 ` Brian van den Broek
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2013-04-01 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 1 April 2013 13:20, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying hard to enhance the logo for the release of 8.0
> and I gather that my attempts failed so far.  So instead of trying
> to change the colors and the shape, I suddenly realized we could
> simply find... a *better* animal.
>
> What is the most appropriate symbol of why we all use Org-mode?
>
> Yes, procrastination.  Fiddling with Emacs instead of achieving
> the work we need to achieve.  Trying to convince ourselves that
> this tiny Org feature will make us more proficient at our jobs,
> instead of simply working.
>
> I asked many Org friends during the last few weeks, and we all
> agreed that an ostrich might be a good candidate.
>
> So here it is -- I just updated the website accordingly:
>
>   http://orgmode.org
>
> I did spent a lot of time and energy on deciding this, and this
> is not only me, but also many Org users I've asked, so please do
> not discuss this change.
>
> Hope you'll get used to it!
>
> Best,
>
> --
>  Bastien

Oh, +1. No, strike that. +4

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: New logo
@ 2013-04-01 18:23   ` Evan Misshula
From: Evan Misshula @ 2013-04-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: Bastien, Emacs-orgmode

> I did spent a lot of time and energy on deciding this, and this
> is not only me, but also many Org users I've asked, so please do
> not discuss this change.

Seems like an April fools joke.  Of course we will discuss. :-P

--
Evan Misshula
Doctoral Student (Criminal Justice)

"Instruction does much, but encouragement does everything." Johann Wolfgang
Von Goethe
www.snrg-nyc.org

* Re: New logo
@ 2013-04-01 18:28     ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2013-04-01 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan Misshula; +Cc: Bastien, Emacs-orgmode

On 1 Apr 2013 14:23, "Evan Misshula" <evanmisshula@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I did spent a lot of time and energy on deciding this, and this
> > is not only me, but also many Org users I've asked, so please do
> > not discuss this change.
>
> Seems like an April fools joke.  Of course we will discuss. :-P
>

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Brian van den Broek <
brian.van.den.broek@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> Oh, +1. No, strike that. +4
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Brian vdB

That's not in keeping with the spirit of the thing. Knowing allusions (as
above) are fine, but overtly pointing it? That's not cricket!

Brian vdB

* Re: New logo
@ 2013-04-01 18:35       ` Evan Misshula
From: Evan Misshula @ 2013-04-01 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: Bastien, Emacs-orgmode

Apologies for any breech of protocol.  EM

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Brian van den Broek <

--

@ 2013-04-01 18:46       ` Allen S. Rout
From: Allen S. Rout @ 2013-04-01 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 04/01/2013 02:28 PM, Brian van den Broek wrote:

> That's not in keeping with the spirit of the thing. Knowing allusions (as
> above) are fine, but overtly pointing it? That's not cricket!

Mmm.  Maybe a _REALLY_ big turkey on a platter?

- Allen S. Rout

* Re: New logo
@ 2013-04-01 18:46         ` Allen S. Rout
From: Allen S. Rout @ 2013-04-01 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 04/01/2013 02:35 PM, Evan Misshula wrote:
> Apologies for any breech of protocol.  EM

Ew.

- Allen S. Rout

* Re: New logo
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-04-01 18:54 ` Christian Moe
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Moe @ 2013-04-01 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

+1! :)

It's a great logo for a great PTO[1] tool.

Yours,
Christian

[1] PTO = Putting Things Off

Bastien writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying hard to enhance the logo for the release of 8.0
> and I gather that my attempts failed so far.  So instead of trying
> to change the colors and the shape, I suddenly realized we could
> simply find... a *better* animal.
>
> What is the most appropriate symbol of why we all use Org-mode?
>
> Yes, procrastination.  Fiddling with Emacs instead of achieving
> the work we need to achieve.  Trying to convince ourselves that
> this tiny Org feature will make us more proficient at our jobs,
> instead of simply working.
>
> I asked many Org friends during the last few weeks, and we all
> agreed that an ostrich might be a good candidate.
>
> So here it is -- I just updated the website accordingly:
>
>   http://orgmode.org
>
> I did spent a lot of time and energy on deciding this, and this
> is not only me, but also many Org users I've asked, so please do
> not discuss this change.
>
> Hope you'll get used to it!
>
> Best,

* Re: New logo
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-04-01 20:10 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-04-01 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 1.4.2013, at 19:20, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying hard to enhance the logo for the release of 8.0
> and I gather that my attempts failed so far.  So instead of trying
> to change the colors and the shape, I suddenly realized we could
> simply find... a *better* animal.
>
> What is the most appropriate symbol of why we all use Org-mode?
>
> Yes, procrastination.  Fiddling with Emacs instead of achieving
> the work we need to achieve.  Trying to convince ourselves that
> this tiny Org feature will make us more proficient at our jobs,
> instead of simply working.
>
> I asked many Org friends during the last few weeks, and we all
> agreed that an ostrich might be a good candidate.
>
> So here it is -- I just updated the website accordingly:
>
>  http://orgmode.org
>
> I did spent a lot of time and energy on deciding this, and this
> is not only me, but also many Org users I've asked, so please do
> not discuss this change.
>
> Hope you'll get used to it!

Wow, I've got to hand it to you.  After the recent color experiments - this one does not make me physically sick, and it is in fact a fine depiction of how I feel way too often.  Seems perfectly suited for an animated gif logo, too!

Great work!

- Carsten

* Re: New logo
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-04-01 20:54 ` Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2013-04-01 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:

> I asked many Org friends during the last few weeks, and we all
> agreed that an ostrich might be a good candidate.

I'm afraid this logo sends the wrong message. It should be showing the
non-org-users of the world with their heads in the sand.

Or maybe the logo should include the subterranean wonders of org the ostrich
(orgstrich?) is marveling at?

--Mike

* Re: New logo
@ 2013-04-01 22:16   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-04-01 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Gauland <mikelygee@no8wireless.co.nz> writes:

> Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:
>>
>> I asked many Org friends during the last few weeks, and we all
>> agreed that an ostrich might be a good candidate.

I have long been scared of that rather foul looking unicorn.  Great
job!  Next step is replacing the Gnu is Emacs Core!

–Rasmus

--
Hooray!

* Re: New logo
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-04-01 22:40 ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2013-04-01 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 13-Apr-1, at 1:20 PM, Bastien wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying hard to enhance the logo for the release of 8.0
> and I gather that my attempts failed so far.  So instead of trying
> to change the colors and the shape, I suddenly realized we could
> simply find... a *better* animal.

Bastien, the ostrich is fantastic. Kudos!

  -Anthony

* Re: New logo
@ 2013-04-02  3:10 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-04-02  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)