* disable org-replace-disputed-keys for org-read-date
@ 2013-05-15  9:37 Miro Bezjak
From: Miro Bezjak @ 2013-05-15  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

for orgmode 7.9.x I had the following defadvice.

----
(defadvice org-read-date (around my-no-disputed-keys activate)
  "Ignore org-replace-disputed-keys when calendar is active."
  (let ((org-replace-disputed-keys nil))
    ad-do-it))
----

Contrary to the `org-replace-disputed-keys' documentation (only being
relevant at load-time), the advice worked because in 7.9.x `org-read-date'
used `org-defkey' to add the relevant keybindings each time it was called.

In 8.0.x, this advice no longer works since
`org-read-date-minibuffer-local-map' is being used.

Basically, I'm trying to use windmove keys, but not when I'm entering dates
through calendar. In calendar, shift + arrow keys are really handy and
calendar is not active for a long time.

Does anyone have any suggestion how I can achieve that in 8.0.x without
patching org.el?

Should I make a patch to introduce defcustom that will ignore disputed keys
while setting up `org-read-date-minibuffer-local-map'? Anyone else
interested in this besides me?

Kind Regards,
Miro

* Re: disable org-replace-disputed-keys for org-read-date
@ 2013-08-09  9:47 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-08-09  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miro Bezjak; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 15.5.2013, at 11:37, Miro Bezjak <bezjak.miro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> for orgmode 7.9.x I had the following defadvice.
>
> ----
> (defadvice org-read-date (around my-no-disputed-keys activate)
>   "Ignore org-replace-disputed-keys when calendar is active."
>   (let ((org-replace-disputed-keys nil))
>     ad-do-it))
> ----
>
> Contrary to the `org-replace-disputed-keys' documentation (only being relevant at load-time), the advice worked because in 7.9.x `org-read-date' used `org-defkey' to add the relevant keybindings each time it was called.
>
> In 8.0.x, this advice no longer works since `org-read-date-minibuffer-local-map' is being used.
>
> Basically, I'm trying to use windmove keys, but not when I'm entering dates through calendar. In calendar, shift + arrow keys are really handy and calendar is not active for a long time.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion how I can achieve that in 8.0.x without patching org.el?
>
> Should I make a patch to introduce defcustom that will ignore disputed keys while setting up `org-read-date-minibuffer-local-map'? Anyone else interested in this besides me?

I think I would even accept a patch that ignored disputed keys entirely when setting up this special map.
Or has this issue been solved in another way I am not aware of? (Sorry, I am trying to catch up...)

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-02  5:50 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-02  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miro Bezjak; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Miro,

I have implemented this.

Please test and make sure it works.

Regards

- Carsten

@ 2013-09-07 20:22   ` Miro Bezjak
From: Miro Bezjak @ 2013-09-07 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Carsten,

sorry for not responding sooner. I've been on holiday and didn't see your
messages.

Unfortunately, setting `org-replace-disputed-keys' to `nil' inside
`org-read-date' doesn't work. The reason is:
`org-read-date-minibuffer-local-map' is a defvar - thus, it has already been
evaluated (upon loading org.el).

One quick fix would be to make `org-read-date-minibuffer-local-map' be a
`defun' instead of a `defvar'. To ensure keymap is created lazily and thus
automatically respect `(let* ((org-replace-disputed-keys nil)))'. Although,
that would cause some backwards incompatibilities.

Any thoughts?

Kind Regards,
Miro

@ 2013-09-07 21:39     ` Miro Bezjak
From: Miro Bezjak @ 2013-09-07 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Carsten,

actually forget my previous fix attempt. There is a better way. Here
is what I did to org.el to make it work.

------------------------
(defvar org-read-date-minibuffer-local-map
  (let* ((org-replace-disputed-keys nil)
     (map (make-sparse-keymap)))

... rest unchanged ...

In words: I just added `(let* ((org-replace-disputed-keys nil)' right
where init-value of `org-read-date-minibuffer-local-map' is being
determined.

Kind Regards,
Miro

@ 2013-09-08  5:34       ` Carsten Dominik