Thanks so much! I was trying to get a bit more flexibility with that separate slide (e.g., have the title in the centre of the page and no toc). So I took inspiration from your great solution and defined a latex macro #+begin_src latex \newcommand{\singleslide}[1]{{% \usebeamerfont{title} \begin{frame}[plain,c] \begin{center} \begin{minipage}[h]{.75\textwidth} \centering \textcolor{title}{\Large#1} \end{minipage} \end{center} \end{frame} }} #+end_src and a latex class #+begin_src emacs-lisp (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes '("my-org-beamer" "\\documentclass{beamer} ("\\singleside{%s}" . "\\singleslide{%s}"))))) #+end_src which did the job. Best, Seb On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote: > On Friday, 25 Apr 2014 at 08:24, Seb Frank wrote: > > Hi there, > > > > I have customized org-beamer--format-frame to change the way headlines > are > > treated (as I want a separate slide with only the headline in the center > > and plain frames not showing headlines after that). The way I currently > do > > this is by redefining the function itself (using "defun > > org-beamer--format-frame"). This works, but is there any way to make this > > more modular, i.e. tell org-mode somewhere to use a different function > > (e.g., my-org-beamer--format-frame) to format a frame, so that it's easy > to > > switch back and forth between different ones, as well as to revert to the > > default? > > > > Thanks, > > Seb > > As you haven't explained why you want this, it's difficult to understand > the actual use case. So, guessing at your intent, I wonder whether you > have thought about making use of section headings as well as frame > headings to accomplish what you want? > > Assuming you are using org v8.x and not something older, if you set > option H:2, second level headings define frames and top level headings > define sections. You can then have section headings appear as a > separate slide using code such as this: > > #+begin_src org > ,#+latex_header: > \AtBeginSection[]{\begin{frame}\frametitle{Topic}\tableofcontents[currentsection]\end{frame}} > #+end_src > > In this case, any time a section heading is encountered (i.e. top level > org heading), you'll get a slide with a table of contents with that > heading emphasised. You can obviously do something different which more > closely matches what you want. > > If you don't want individual frames to have headings, simply don't put > any text in the headline for that frame. > > This way, you do not need to manipulate how beamer displays frames. An > example set of slides with two sections and two out of four slides > having no headline would look like this: > > #+begin_src org > ,#+options: H:2 > ,#+latex_header: > \AtBeginSection[]{\begin{frame}\frametitle{Topic}\tableofcontents[currentsection]\end{frame}} > ,* Introduction > ,** First slide > some text on the first slide > ,** > some text on the second slide which has no heading > ,* Results > ,** > some third slide text, also on a slide with no heading > ,** conclusions > This was a great talk. > #+end_src > > HTH, > eric > -- > : Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.2, Org > release_8.2.5h-1027-g4c0a29 >