Thanks for your help. I had failed to include (package-initialize) in my .emacs which was why 8.0.4 was not working. Problem solved! On 16 July 2013 17:06, Bastien wrote: > Hi Paul, > > Paul Whipp writes: > > > If I use the package installer to upgrade org I get version 8.0.4 but > > it then fails to complete my initialisation with: "Symbol's function > > definition is void: org-defvaralias" > > Please share the parts of your configuration that are relevant to > this, e.g. your package initialization and your Org initialization. > > Thanks, > > -- > Bastien >