* column view sum scope
@ 2011-07-28 11:41 Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-07-28 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Hi all, hi Carsten

I have an issue with the column view sum scope that can be shown best
with a minimal word count example:

#+begin_src org
  ,#+COLUMNS: %14ITEM %18word_count(sum of word counts){+}
  ,- dynamic block for column view:
  ,  #+BEGIN: columnview
  ,  #+END:
  ,* article
  ,** section
  ,   :PROPERTIES:
  ,   :word_count: 2
  ,   :END:
  ,   First_word, second_word.
  ,*** subsection
  ,    :PROPERTIES:
  ,    :word_count: 1
  ,    :END:
  ,    Third_word.
#+end_src

After "C-c C-c" on "#+BEGIN:" I would like both ":word_count:" to be
left unchanged, leading to a section sum and article sum of 3:

#+begin_src org
  ,#+COLUMNS: %14ITEM %18word_count(sum of word counts){+}
  ,- dynamic block for column view:
  ,  #+BEGIN: columnview
  ,  | ITEM           | sum of word counts |
  ,  |----------------+--------------------|
  ,  | * article      |                  3 |
  ,  | ** section     |                  3 |
  ,  | *** subsection |                  1 |
  ,  #+END:
  ,* article
  ,** section
  ,   :PROPERTIES:
  ,   :word_count: 2
  ,   :END:
  ,   First_word, second_word.
  ,*** subsection
  ,    :PROPERTIES:
  ,    :word_count: 1
  ,    :END:
  ,    Third_word.
#+end_src

but what one gets is the first ":word_count:" interpreted as only the
total of all _subsections_, leading to a section sum and article sum
of 1:

#+begin_src org
  ,#+COLUMNS: %14ITEM %18word_count(sum of word counts){+}
  ,- dynamic block for column view:
  ,  #+BEGIN: columnview
  ,  | ITEM           | sum of word counts |
  ,  |----------------+--------------------|
  ,  | * article      |                  1 |
  ,  | ** section     |                  1 |
  ,  | *** subsection |                  1 |
  ,  #+END:
  ,* article
  ,** section
  ,   :PROPERTIES:
  ,   :word_count: 1
  ,   :END:
  ,   First_word, second_word.
  ,*** subsection
  ,    :PROPERTIES:
  ,    :word_count: 1
  ,    :END:
  ,    Third_word.
#+end_src

As I understand, org-wc.el from the word count thread
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/41146/focus=42663
suffers from the same problem.

The terms curval, curtotal and prevtotal found here
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/12067
look like what one needs here. But I couldn't find neither these terms
in any org/lisp/*.el nor any related commit around the time of the
post above. Carsten, do you remember this?

Now I would be glad to hear any thoughts and hints.

Michael

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-07-28 11:41 UTC | newest]