From: Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Cc: news1142@karl-voit.at
Subject: Re: Default prewarning time for each deadline
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:25:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi all

myself on Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 16:34:
> But another solution is to
> set org-deadline-warning-days to 0 and then

Karl on Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 22:31:
> When I set org-deadline-warning-days to 0, I do not get warnings
> even for DEADLINE strings containing a desired warning definition
> like -3d :-(

Manish on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 09:02:
> My bad.  I should have read the docstring again before posting.  It
> clearly states:
>
> "When 0 or negative, it means use this number (the absolute value of
> it) even if a deadline has a different individual lead time
> specified."

Since at least Manish and me were surprised by 0 my suggestion is to
use the yet unused nil for what 0 does now (never warn, even if
deadline has an individual lead time) and 0 for what we expected (use
0 if deadline has no individual lead time). The change would break the
customizations that already use 0. In the Org customization survey 0
was not used.
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-customization-survey.html

I know, I know, I should read the manual but in this case already the
exemplary variable name itself that documents even the unit of the
value gives me expectations for the positive integers and 0.

Michael