I actually hadn't used the archive command in quite a while, so not sure when the behavior in my situation changed. It does make sense though that it might have something to do with the file being stored in a dropbox folder. Anyway, (setq org-archive-subtree-save-file-p nil) in the init file fixes it. Thanks Kyle! On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:37 AM Kyle Meyer wrote: > Ian Garmaise writes: > > > When I archive one subtree (C-c $), the first one succeeds. > > The second archive operation fails with a permission denied error as > shown > > in the messages buffer: > [...] > > Noticed this yesterday. Updated org and all packages, then tried it > again > > today, was able to reproduce it easily > > Hmm, was that an update from 9.3.* or earlier? 9.4 came with a new > option org-archive-subtree-save-file-p. With the default value, the > file is saved when archiving from an Org buffer but not the agenda. > Before 9.4 [*], the file was never saved, so you could set > org-archive-subtree-save-file-p to nil to restore the pre-9.4 behavior. > > That should sidestep the issue, though I don't know why you're hitting. > I'm guessing you only see it with dropbox files? > > [*] Going farther back, the behavior was to always save. That changed > in 9.1.4 63f6e851b (Do not save target buffer after archiving > subtree, 2017-11-25). > -- ===== Ian Garmaise Consultant Phorix Solutions Group ian.g@phorixsol.com Toronto cell: 416.432.2251 NYC: 917.512.9535 https://www.linkedin.com/in/igarmaise/ http://www.PhorixSol.com