On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 12:01, Joost Kremers wrote: > Hi list, > > I've been learning some Scheme recently and decided to use Org > mode and babel so I could document my progress, keep notes, etc. > together with the code I write. I also installed the geiser > package to work with Scheme source files directly. > > This all worked perfectly, until I made the (apparent) mistake of > typing =C-c C-c= on an expression while editing a source code > block. That is, I had pressed =C-c '= in an Org buffer on a source > block and in the editing buffer that popped up, I hit =C-c C-c= > (bound to =geiser-eval-definition=) on a particular function (well > procedure...) definition. > > From that moment on, that particular procedure definition seems > haunted. Whenever I evaluate a source block containing it from > within an Org file, the associated REPL is doomed. It takes about > 30 seconds for the evaluation to complete, during which time Emacs > seems to hang (no CPU activity, just waiting). Any further > interaction with the REPL from that point on, either from other > source blocks in the same file (all source blocks in it use the > same session) or in the REPL buffer directly, causes the same > hang. > > I can `C-g` out of the hang, but this doesn't solve much because > any further interaction causes the same hang. > > Putting the relevant procedure definition in a Scheme source file > and evaluating that (within Emacs, through geiser) is > unproblematic, so the code itself is not to blame. > OK, up to this point I am thinking: this is all quite curious, but presumably not really a big problem, as you surely don't need to use this rather strange workflow... > The weirdest thing about this is that the problem is persistent. I > restarted Emacs and in my desperation even rebooted the computer, > but to no avail. > But this is indeed weird. Are you saying that you can reboot your computer, restart Emacs, open the relevant Org file, evaluate the source block (without any C-c ') and you still see the problem? If so, I wonder if it's a real but intermittent problem in your code that was somehow made more likely by the original workflow, and now you're just being unlucky? > > Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I rgrepped > through my =.emacs.d= directory to see if the relevant procedure > name turns up anywhere but found nothing. I'm not really sure > where to look beyond that. > > Versions: > > IELM> emacs-version > "26.3" > IELM> org-version > "9.3.1" > > TIA > > Joost > > -- > Joost Kremers > Life has its moments > > Best wishes, Neil