On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 18:11, John Kitchin wrote: > Hi everyone, > > This is only semi-on-topic. I am looking for something like M-x compile > for my org-files, but I don't want it to necessarily use Makefiles. I am > looking for suggestions of existing solutions to this, or thoughts on how > to implement this. > > Actually, if it was possible to get M-x compile to run an elisp function > instead of a make file, it might be all I need, but it looks like it runs > shell commands. > So how about typing "M-: " instead of "M-x compile" ? Why involve other layers when Emacs can directly evaluate elisp? Best wishes, Neil