Hi, On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 21:00, Jason F. McBrayer wrote: > I /think/ that in X, emacs will select the closest font it can find to > in order to get the characters it needs. However, in Windows, it will > only use the default font (or whatever is explicitly specified for the > face), even if that font is missing characters. The only workaround > I've found for buffers that need a lot of Unicode characters is to use > DejaVu Sans Mono. Consolas is very nice, but its Unicode coverage is > not good. That’s odd. I’m using Emacs 24 on Windows 7 64-bit (and before this I’ve used 23 on both 7 and Vista), and my font is set to Consolas. Emacs happily substitutes other fonts where Consolas is missing glyphs (see the attached screenshot). The only snag is that it takes a while to find a suitable font, at times. I’m using a precompiled binary from emacs-for-windows.[1] Perhaps it has special support for font substitution or something… Aankhen [1]: http://code.google.com/p/emacs-for-windows/