From: Subhan Tindall <subhan.tindall@rentrakmail.com>
To: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
Cc: Org-Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: need file+function help
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 15:37:10 -0700	[thread overview]

The ability I am looking forward here IS to find a location - it's just
that I need a little more detailed control.
For example, file+headline(or file+subheadline, or whatever) would find a
specific headline in a file, & inserts the entry under it, creating it if
it doesn't exist (IE * Notes)
file+datetree acts the same, but creates bits of a datetree to get to the
specific date.
What I want is (somewhat) of a combination of the two:
1) find/create the datetree to get today's date
2) under this subtree, find/create headline
3) insert the entry under this headline.
Ideally I'd like to grab a value using capture to specify the headline, but
from what I gather that's not going to happen.  Nonetheless, I can live
with specifying 1 template for each category headline I need:
For a simple example:
datetree+headline capture template for headline * Notes
inserts entry into
* 2013
** April
*** 2013-04-09 Tuesday
**** PPT111 Dev Ticket for new functionality
***** Log <2013-04-09> Worked on spec for this ticket
       CLOCK: [2013-04-09 Tue 08:40]

This simple extension would then give the ability to log in/out of the
PPT111 ticket, with notes on what was worked on, and a simple CLOCKTAB line
at the right level will bundle up all the time for a ticket in single
entries.

This functionality would also be useful for me as a student, with
sub-headlines for classes where I could add notes, todos, etc.

--
Subhan Michael Tindall | Software Developer
RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT