There's really very little documentation about how this works, could use a pointer to an example or two, or even a bit of help. Here's my goal: Using a capture temple of file+function to do the following: (basically enhancing file+datetree) user enters a bit of information (ticket ID, description, etc) using normal capture template stuff (prompt for tags or prompt{enter ticket ID} the ticket number is used as a parameter to file+function to: a) find the current date in the tree b) find or create a subtree based on the ticket ID c) add an entry below this subtree with the ticket ID as a tag, and the description as the headline, plus possible links to the file where capture was initiated etc. d) 'clock in' to the task (:clock-in property works great) I have all of this working fine using file+datetree EXCEPT the subtree create or add questions: 1) are the values gathered by capture available to the function specified for file+function, & if so what are their names? 2) what is the general template for a function for use with file+function, cleanup, return values, etc that would be expected? 3) would it be better to extend datetree to datetree+headline for entries of this type? it seems like it a pretty usefully functionality to have (I can think of 2 or 3 instances i'd regularly use this just off the top of my head Thanks, all! Subhan -- Subhan Michael Tindall | Software Developer | smt@rentrakmail.com RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT