From: Subhan Tindall <subhan.tindall@rentrakmail.com>
To: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
Cc: Org-Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Finding LAST copy of a given headline in a file
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 16:39:08 -0700	[thread overview]

Yes, you are correct, file+datetree does not do this.  A while ago I
suggested a file+datetree+headline type function be added, but it was not
received well.
I attempted a function for use with file+function, but couldn't get it
quite working.
I'm not quite sure how to use org-map-entries to find headlines?
Thanks!
Subhan

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Subhan,
>
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 03:29:10PM -0700, Subhan Tindall wrote:
> > Have template that inserts itself under the LAST entry in the target file
> > for a given headline
>
> What problem do you have with the above?  Can you give us a minimal
> example?
>
> > composes the right strings to use file+olp to find the specific headline
> > under the current date's date-tree heading.
> > For example, I have a date tree with **** Ticket X under each of several
> > days, including today's date.
> > I want to insert an entry ***** What I did today   with some additional
> > information under **** Ticket X for today.
> >
> > *  2013
> > ** 2013-07-25
> > *** 2013-07-24 Wednesday
> > **** Ticket X
> > ***** LOG ticket X stuff for Wednesday
> > *** 2013-07-25 Thursday
> > **** Ticket X
> > ***** LOG ticket X stuff
> > **** Ticket Y
> > ****** Log ticket y stuff
>
> Date trees can be tricky.  As far as I understand, you want to add a
> subheading to entries for a day.  I do not think file+datetree can do
> that.  I would recommend you try file+function instead.  It should be
> easy to implement.  You could use org-map-entries to find the headline
> in your headline finding function.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Suvayu

Subhan Michael Tindall | Software Developer
RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT